Pixle Measurement

I've got a map I'm trying to export as a jpg into a program called epictable. The program has its own grid system and is useful for players to use arrow keys to move their pieces. But I'm having trouble making grids line up. Does anyone have ideas? I think my problem has somethign to do with the number of pixles. Is there a way I can measure how many are in the base picture?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    CC3 maps don't have a set number of pixels per grid square because they are not bitmaps. The only pixels are in the bitmap fills and the bitmap symbols you paste into the map.

You can calculate how many pixels to render the whole map at by working out how many pixels you want/need to have in a grid square in the exported image for it to work in your game.

Do you know how many that is?

Once you have that number multiply the number of grid squares in the height and length of the CC3 map and get two accurate pixel dimensions for the exported map.

Then all you have to do is export the map as a Rectangular Section JPEG, setting the height and width pixel dimensions to exactly the figures you have deduced from your maths with the pixels per grid square x number of grid squares sum, and accurately select the rectangle section.

Does that help?
  • Alright, under my grid size the Grid spacing is 50.0000. I don't know if its strange thing with the hex tiles I'm using instead of the squares I use for dungeons. The map I'm looking at is 23 hexes wide and 20 hexes high. If each one is a 50 pixels hex, I think it needs to be 1150 pixels by 1000 pixels plus some change for the ledger I'm working on outside the main map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    50? Are you sure you are checking the actual value for your grid, and not just the default value in the Add grid overlay dialog? 50 is really weird for a battle map (Which it sounds like this is?).

Anyway, hexes are difficult to calculate.When you create a grid, the specified size is the height of the hex. The width of the hex is 0.86601885 times the height of the hex (On average, the width obviously varies depending on where on the hex you measure)
    (Vertical hexes just have these values swapped). You need to take this into account when calculating the width of the map.

Also, when you looked up the grid size and found 50 (correct or not), this is the size in map units for the hex. It doesn't have anything at all to do with pixels. CC3 doesn't use pixels for it's measurements. It is up to you on export to decide how many pixels you wish each hex to be, then calculate the correct value for the entire map, and provide that value in the export settings.
  • Hi,

I would
    1. draw a box around the area I'd want to export,
    2.use the Info->Distance (or the F8 key) tool to get the size of this box,
    3.choose a resolution
    4. Multiply the length and the width of the box by the resolution to get the export size
    5. Export as a rectangular section using opposite corners of the box with the endpoint modifier.

For example:
    2. The box has a width of 200.4x153.7 CC3 units
    3. I choose a resolution of 5
    4. Length : 200.4×5 = 1002 ; width 153.7×5 = 768,5 rounded to 769
    5. Export.
  • Grid size of 50 sounds like MapTool's default.

If you're getting it very close, but not *quite* right, CC likes to put a one pixel border around the edge. I haven't quite figured out how to control that yet, but if you export to 1152 by 1002, or play around with the export size in one pixel increments, you'll get it figured out.
  • 8 days later
  • I've not had this trouble when I've used squares, just when I'm using hexes. These problems I've found are generally on overland maps, not battle-maps