Wrong symbol catalog loading

So ages ago, someone here (I don't recall who it was) showed me a way to make it so my own custom symbol catalog that I'd made for the Modern Political annual style - stored elsewhere on my computer than the default catalog - would load whenever I loaded up my map. This was done by adding something to "Map Notes", in Drawing Properties. At that time, and for some time later as well, Modern Political was basically the ONLY style I used - literally all of my time in CC3 was spent working on this one map. So this problem didn't become apparent until recently, when I began working on city street maps.

And the problem in question is: that custom Modern Political catalog is following me around! Every time I open another map in a different map style, or open a brand-new map in a style other than Modern Political, that symbol catalog opens, rather than the catalog associated with whatever style I'm using. Lately, I've been mapping with "Modern City" a lot, but the custom catalog opens with other map styles, as well. Here is the item in map notes that made it stick to my original map:

MENUDM #fcw32.mnu
SYMICONMR;SYMICONFLOAD CA42
CATALOG #Symbols/Maps/Modern Political/CA42_All-VN.FSC

"CA42_All-VN.FSC" is the filename for the custom catalog.

Now, as I understand it, a "map note" would apply only to that specific map, but is there something here that's causing this catalog to ALWAYS open, even when I'm opening maps in other styles?

I did try pasting this note, but with the above filename replaced with the file for the Modern City catalog, into the Map Notes for my Modern City map, but it didn't seem to help, loading it still causes the custom Modern Political catalog to load.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There isn't a global setting for catalog to load, but note that not all map styles are configured to load a catalog on load, and for those, CC3 will just keep the last catalog used open. For example, Modern City does not load it's catalog by default.

It should work to add the CATALOG line to the OnOpenMacro of the map, but make sure that the line is 100% correct, and that you hit enter after the line, making sure there is one (and only one) blank line at the end of the macro. (Note that adding anything to OnNewMacro doesn't help for existing maps, it isn't used, only when creating a new map from a template)
  • CielCiel Traveler
    This seems to have worked! I must have done something wrong before when I pasted the mapnote in on my Modern City map, since it wasn't working before - I didn't know about leaving exactly one blank line at the end, so that might have been it. Regardless, it now loads the Modern City symbols whenever I open that map, so thanks as always Monsen!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome.

Note that the blank line isn't really because it needs a blank line in itself, but there needs to be a newline (enter) character at the end of the previous line, as this signifies the end of the macro line to be executed. A side effect of this is that a blank line will appear. (because that is just how a newline character works)