How does the world work?

Hello,

I realize that's a rather broad question to pose. Rather than descend into a metaphysical discussion on the nature of reality, or as to why the platapus exists--I'm simply wondering if there are any geographical resources out there the forum could recommend? I'm in the process of re-learning how to use CC3, but have quickly realized that a far more fundamental problem is my lack of understanding as to how mountains and rivers, etc, ought to work. (Guess I should've stuck with Geography past grade 9....) Somehow, some maps just look 'right', and some completely wrong.

Obviously, some of the rules are bendable in a world of Fantasy, what will epic dragons falling from the sky and raising mountain ranges and so on--but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
-Mike

Comments

• Well, I'd suggest starting out by just thinking about what you know. For instance, think about climates, and where they fall on the planet. You tend to end up with warmer climates closer to the equator, and colder as you get further away. But it also tends to get colder at higher altitudes. Where's it known to rain? Typically areas near large bodies of water with warm climates. Think about water relative to plants and mountains- mountains tend to be the source of streams and rivers, with larger rivers typically forming from several streams feeding together. Areas with fresh water and good soil tend to have lots of vegetation, particularly forests. Mountains don't tend to turn directly into plains- the change is gradual, shifting from mountains to hills, and then plains.

Let's see, what else... People tend to live near water or other resources. Oceans and rivers are sources of water, food, and transportation, while other resources such as arable land and valuable minerals can also attract settlers. One other area that's common is a crossroads, or anywhere along a road or river where people will likely stop. These tend to be good spots for inns and the like, which then add farmers, merchants, and so forth.

Mountains tend to spring up due to volcanic activity or the intersection of two tectonic plates. In the former case you tend to get a string of volcanoes in a line as a plate moves over a hot spot- basically it's like a sewing machine, you move the fabric (plate) and the needle (magma) keeps making holes. The newer they are, the more likely they're active. Tectonic plate mountain ranges tend to be long ranges of similarly sized mountains, looking rather like if you took a piece of cloth and laid it out flat, then set your hands on top of one edge and pushed towards the center- lots of ridges parallel to the plate intersection. You can also get a ring of volcanoes which, as they age, will form a series of islands connected underwater, or one island with a ring of mountains- or if it's old enough, a circular island with a shallow ocean basin in the center.

Generally speaking, colder climes tend to have more conifers (pines and the like) while temperate areas have more deciduous trees. Water tends to take the easiest path to the lowest areas- that's not necessarily a straight line. Rivers that meander slowly tend to deposit more silt and other debris, which in turn means they shift around as the ground builds up underneath them. That can lead to some areas that split, only to rejoin later. Or it may result in marshes and swamps in large, flat areas. Generally, any lake that's got a river feeding it constantly will end up continuing to flow towards the ocean- you don't end to have rivers feeding into bottomless lakes.

Hopefully that all helps some. It's late, and I'm a bit scatterbrained due to it.
  • Have a read of this pdf:

A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture by Expeditious Retreat Press
  • I'd also go to your local library and look up Geography, Physical Geography, and maybe Climate. You'll find a wealth of information about how things generally work. But, like most of life, there are layers and layers. Once you have a sense of the basics, there will always be more you could read.

One of my geologist friends once told me that almost any land formation could be rationalized. Often the problem is putting too many difficult-to-explain things on a map -- at some point the viewer gives up and decides you just didn't know what you were doing. Even just reading the basic books can help you avoid most of the traps.

Steve
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    Here is some interesting info:

Planet Earth Biomes

Has a color chart of types, along with info. Some of the info sounds rather simplistic, but it is a good generic guide to different biome types, along with plants, anmals, and climate there. Ah, its a site creathed by 6th graders in an Elementary school. I recommend it.

Rather more detail:

Maricopa edu site

Note, one site on biomes I tried, wanted to install something on my computer. So, be careful. The domain name ended in .ro
  • 1 month later
  • I like that topic. Another helpful topic with that is plate techtonics. If you check out how they run into each other and what happens (map wise) its pretty interesting. Volcanoes, Islands, Mountains, all sorts of things just make sense.

Question then. what if a world spun on its axis different from Earth?

Is there a scenario which makes sense where the equator is actually the polar cap around the whole planet?

Another interesting - How does the world work question. In a fantasy /sci - fi setting does that actually mean you could sail or fly around the pole of a planet that had a hole in the top or bottom for whatever fantasy oriented reason? In other words if you travelled north eventually you would come out the top and then go south on the other side. Unusual sure just figured it might spur some discussion.