DD3 (CC3+) Hills / Slopes / Inclines / Sand-Dunes

Hi Team,

Can someone point me in the right direction on how create Hills / Slopes / Inclines / Sand-Dunes within DD3?

Working with CC3+. My objective is to make a battle-map within sand-dunes. Some brief Googling and forum searches didn't return anything super useful. I can see CC3+ has the functionality but unsure if that can be implemented in DD3.

If DD3 is the wrong addon by all means yell out.

Thanks for any assistance,

Learning one map at a time :)

daplunk

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    DD3 is an add on to CC3, so you can do anything from both apps in the same map if you so wish. Its just a case of hitting the DD3 or CC3 button at the top to switch between them for functionality.

Making hills and sand dunes etc...

The easiest way is of course to use a symbol, but if you are doing a top down battle map they aren't that easy to find. Alternatively you can just add a new sheet called SHADING above everything else and add an Edge Fade Inner effect to it, then draw polygons of Solid black 30 (for example) in the shape of the shadow of a hill. You would be surprised how effective that is if you get the shape right.

Another way of doing it is by drawing contour lines and using them to work out where the shadow would be so that you can add the aforementioned shading sheet with greater effect.

You could also use patches of the same texture as the background on a sheet above it, but with a bevel effect on the upper sheet. I find that if you do that the ordinary bevel works better because its difficult to round off the edge of the lighted bevel. It also helps to add an Edge fade inner effect on that sheet after the bevel so there's no hard line around the base of each 'hill'.

There are all kinds of things you can do :)
  • Ok opinions on this? If you look at it long enough it tricks you into thinking its a sand dune. This is just 3 different colours in an attempt to represent flat sand and the dune on the right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6BXlzLTlj8SzZXejlFaFBOam8/view?usp=sharing
    That's a height map effect - things getting paler as they get higher, and you have created a strangely pleasing composition with the wavy design :)

How about using an Edge Fade Inner on each of those sheets (I'm assuming the different colours are on different sheets, and if they are not its easily remedied)?

Then the colours would blend into each other and look more like a height map.
    That's looking a lot better.

If you wanted to you could add a shadow effect to the sheet the cart is on, to give the whole image a bit more depth?
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Also, try a more irregular line on each height level (still keeping the curve) to add more realism.