Size of a map

Hello
When you create a new map, is the size selection just to denote the border and hence just an "illusion" of size?
By Illusion I mean the size really is as big as you can/want to make it (perhaps the limit is your PC's memory) given you can remove/resize the border. or is there another hidden purpose behind the border such as to let CC3 know where and how to print.
And hence is it bad practice to mess with the border?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello genie :)

Are you talking about the frame or the border?

The frame is a set of four thin lines (usually brilliant green) that confine certain drawing tools to 'stay on the map', so its necessary to delete/resize the frame if you want to make your map bigger and carry on using all your drawing tools. Deleting the frame will not harm your map, though it may result in a more untidy edge. I tend to delete mine if I'm using sheet effects that erode land masses inwardly, since the land drawing tool is one of the tools that is bound by the frame and in that instance I need it to be able to draw land outside the frame so that I don't get a dead straight line down the sides of the map where the land has been eroded inwards from the edge, inside the map.

The border is a white mask that sits close to the top of the map over the top of most other things, and prevents protruding symbols from showing outside the edge of the map (as described by the frame). Its like a rectangular piece of card with a rectangular hole cut in it, and as far as I know it has no other purpose than just to mask the untidy bits. Removing it doesn't do the map any harm, but its tricky to replace once you do, unless you are comfortable with redrawing it as a set of white polygon shapes describing and masking the edges of the new extent. If I delete my border and redraw it I tend to redraw it as a multipoly - a rectangle with a rectangular hole in the middle. I will show you how if you want.
    Sorry - didn't answer part of your question.

I think the frame (the thin green lines) may control what is printed in some ways I am not aware of, since I've seen others have problems associated with printing and the position of the frame, but I always use the Save As/Rectangular Section JPEG option to export my maps and give coordinates. One of my maps started of being 5000 x 5000 units but now extends 300 units outside the old frame all the way around, so when I do a rectangular section jpeg I give the coordinates -300,-300 and 5300, 5300, and it prints just fine. (Mind you, I think I deleted the frame on that particular map and never bothered putting it back in again.)
  • Hello Loopysue,
    Thanks for your answers, they make a lot of sense, I would appreciate and will take you up on those instructions on how to redraw the border =)
    Thanks again!
    Oh genie!

I am so sorry.

I think I have used my own terminology, and probably confused you. Not really an excuse, but when I'm tired I get Corel Photopaint terms mixed up with CC3 ones!

I will try to rectify the problem - unless someone will kindly step in and put me right before I get to it?
    edited January 2017
    The Map Border is a set of four thin lines on the MAP BORDER sheet (usually brilliant green) that confine certain drawing tools to 'stay on the map', so its necessary to delete/resize the Map Border if you want to make your map bigger and carry on using all your drawing tools. Deleting the Map Border will not harm your map, though it may result in a more untidy edge. I tend to delete mine if I'm using sheet effects that erode land masses inwardly, since the land drawing tool is one of the tools that is bound by the Map Border and in that instance I need it to be able to draw land outside the Map Border so that I don't get a dead straight line down the sides of the map where the land has been eroded inwards from the edge, inside the map.

The screen on the SCREEN sheet, is a white mask that sits close to the top of the map over the top of most other things, and prevents protruding symbols from showing outside the edge of the map (as described by the Map Border ). Its like a rectangular piece of card with a rectangular hole cut in it, and as far as I know it has no other purpose than just to mask the untidy bits. Removing it doesn't do the map any harm, but its tricky to replace once you do, unless you are comfortable with redrawing it as a set of white polygon shapes describing and masking the edges of the new extent. If I delete my screen and redraw it I tend to redraw it as a multipoly - a rectangle with a rectangular hole in the middle. I will show you how if you want.

Only I will take more care with my instructions when I do!

EDIT: Sorry to use bold, only I can't remember the tags for striking things out!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I would just add that the graphical design around the edge of the map is colloquially called the border as well, or the "decorative border." This is probably what most people actually mean when they say, "border." The inside edge of the decorative border usually aligns with the technical map border (i.e., the green lines/rectangle) and the outer edge of the decorative border usually extends out over the screen.

The decorative border is usually on the last sheet so the screen does not hide it.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag