Weird Artifact with exporting map

Hi Everyone, I am trying to export a map in high resolutino using save as then png or jpg at dimensions 8000x8000 (I made the map at approximately 500x500). When I export it at this resolution I get this weird white spot in the top right hand corner (see image 1). However, when I export it at a lower resolution the white spot moves (and gets worse). See image 2.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I couldnt upload both images so heres the second one. The first I exported at 8000x8000. The second at 2000x2000
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That does look a bit strange.

Does it look like that on the screen when you are working on it?
    edited January 2017
    Things to try:

- selecting the edge of the white area to see if its actually a white polygon of some kind

- switching sheet effects off to see if it still happens

- if its a sheet effect - checking that all effects are set to 'map units' rather than % of view, or any of the other options
  • It doesn't look like that when working on it and I turned on sheet effects in the below picture (I just print screened so its not an export). I tried clicking the polygon to no avail. I even tried removing all the trees
  • I should mention I did something not typical. I created a white layer on the ocean to hide the hex grid. I drew my island, then created a white rectangle over the entire sheet and then I used the multipoly tool. You can see the result here when I select using delete tool
    edited January 2017
    If you render it out as a jpg with the sheet effects turned off, do you still get the white shape?

EDIT: I don't think its a polygon causing the problem if you can't select it. I think its one of the sheet effects
  • I tried exporting it without the polygon before testing without sheet effects and that worked... I am not sure why... I kinda need it as I think the hex on the water looks cluttered but if I cant then I guess I'll live with it
    I've been staring at that screen shot for a while now, and I can see something much whiter than anything else right in the heart of that problem area.

I can check out the effects if you would like, but you will need to upload a copy of the FCW file here so I can download it just to see what's going on with it.
    LOL! we keep ninjaing each other.

If you upload the file I'll see what I can do with that white polygon for you. There's a possibility that there's a sort of fold in it. I can try to sort it out for you?
  • Sure! Thanks :) I am heading off to bed now but I will see in the morning. Thanks so much for your help :)
    Haha! I was doing my lesson with Tonnichiwa, so I didn't see this immediately, but I'll have a look see what I can do with that white polygon and upload it again for you :)
    When I exploded the multipoly (right click fractalize and choose explode then apply to multipoly to break it apart again) that you made to screen the hexagon grid out of the sea, I discovered a stray frame line that had somehow gotten itself incorporated into the multipoly. I've deleted the stray line and redone the multipoly for you (hopefully without moving anything relative to anything else).

Its incredibly easy to do - especially if you are working with lots of white polys on a while background (my eyes went a bit crossed before I managed to work it out), but to prevent incorporating anything you don't want in a mulitpoly in the future hide everything else first, and then just before you ok it check to see how many objects are selected in the command line. There would have been 3 rather than two in this example - its just that you wouldn't have seen it with everything being white.

Let me know if what I've done has solved it will you?

I tested what I'd done and rendered the map at 5000 x 5000 pi like you did, and this is what I got for the section that you were having trouble with. (reduced to forum size and res)
  • I see what you mean Loopysue! I wanted to try and do it myself and I see what you mean there was a stray line. I thought I was pretty careful but as you said it's hard when its all white! I appreciate you helping me :)
    It was a great idea adding that test sheet of green. I wouldn't have been able to see it otherwise :)

When I start a new map each time I tend to delete the frame lines straight away - just to prevent that kind of thing from happening. But if you do that you also have to be careful you don't delete the border that hides all the things that fall outside the map at the same time.
  • Thanks :) Yea I didn't realize those were created so I'll do that in the future!
    The other option is to put all the things you want to keep out of the way on a protected layer. That way they can't even be selected ;)

The map is going really well, btw - I got so carried away with solving the problem that I forgot to say! :D
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    I may have missed something, but ...... I do not use multi-poly if I can help it. If there is no need to have a hole in your multi-poly I would use the command ltp2. ltp2 = line to poly 2. Much more forgiving and in this case if you had used ltp2 there would have been an ugly artifact see-able right from the start. You can then go on the stray something hunt sooner than later.

I also tend to hide the background sheet and change the window color to a light green. This can make spotting odd stuff easier.
    That is found under view > view-window color > right click > select a color from the selector and click ok.