I am shocked by the lack of resources...

I recently went digital with my existing campaign and purchased Realm Works and Hero Lab. I own and run a Commercial Database company so I am not a novice to commercial software. Campaign Cartographer is often cited on the web as one of the holy trinity of must have software. I have been using it for a few days now and find it to be very glitchy and the complete lack of supporting resources is staggering. I have to save, exit and reload software to convert a 2d flat map to perspectives 3d? Then I have to ask about youtube videos for walk throughs? The cost of this is next to nothing and the value you are passing to your customers is immense. I am going to stick with it a while longer as the map quality here is noticeably better than Hexographer and more industry focused than Photoshop... but I have to ask, am I missing a link or video channel somewhere? I found Josh's short excerpt on 3d mapping, but it said nothing of converting existing maps... In general, the software appears to be full of potential but the combination of lacking support and glitches, locks ups and the like is pretty disinheartening.. Please let me know if I am wrong on this. Thanks, A want to be loyal customer.

Comments

• Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    edited January 2017
    I assume you are talking about my videos (daplunk = Josh).

Sounds like you are using CC3+ using running Perspectives 3. I personally never figured out how to do an existing map to a isometric map. I'm a complete noob to this software though. Most of my videos is actually me using the software for nearly the first time. The Perspectives 3 video particularly as I initially wanted to video first impressions of the tool and try and capture the new user experience. Unfortunately I have kids who made it their mission to ruin that potential. Regardless though I'm finding I can generally find how to do stuff with some Googling and YouTubing. The annuals apparently have quite a bit of content to help new users also but alas I have yet to experience them myself. I still believe the software is absolutely full of potential. Every-time i use it I learn something new.

One suggestion would be to go to the link below and grab all the free resources. It also has more tutorials.
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1230&page=1#Item_0

Personally I find this community to be alot quieter. Especially in these forums. Especially in comparison to the Realm Works community. I suspect alot of the mapping community would frequent the link below more:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php

Now the master tutorial that I see reference all the time is the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It's not free however and I agree with you in that I feel the 'how to use the software' should be free.
    https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp

BTW for Realm Works and Hero Labs. The forums are always active and this FB group is dedicated to Realm Works. I've seen people discussing map making in there recently.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/207294946148092/
  • Ok daplunk, thanks for links. I will keep looking. By the way, great Realm Works videos.. :)
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    For both of you , this is something I put together a few years ago , taking an existing 2d map and layering over some isometric symbols
    http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4088&page=1#Item_17

Rob
  • Now damnit man, that is a nice job. I wish I would have found that in the forums before posting. That is exactly what i am trying to do.

I just learnt how to import an image using Draw > Insert File. Was a great way to insert a hand-drawn concept and push out something much nicer. I'm now sure if there is an automatic way to trace a picture (apart from the TRACE function in Dungeons which wouldn't work in this situation) but I just did it manually and followed the lines.

The original.
    View post on imgur.com
    My attempt in CC3+.
    View post on imgur.com
    Another learning for the night was putting a white glow around the text to make it stand out.

The issue with this software is its so powerful. Every time I want to achieve something I can. But yes I do need to go out of my way to learn how to do something. Trial and error gets me through though and I'm always astounded with the results given my complete lack of artistic ability.
  • There are a number of us here who have tutorials on our web sites. But mine don't do snazzy stuff. Mine are large map to small, how to get map edges of small maps to match into a larger map.

The 2d map into 3d map is new. I haven't made an attempt to do that yet. But if I did, it would mean converting around 1500 maps... and I prefer to psend my time doing something else.

I have made a few iso maps, some posted to these forums. I currently cannot get the iso maps to match what I can do with an overhead view. But that could be I'm just not used to that Annual issue yet.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    edited January 2017
    Joe Sweeny's Video tutorials is what most of us have used to learn how to do CC3 stuff. Most of the CC3 stuff will apply to CC3.

Make sure you watch all of his videos in the order he did them. He has 1 error in one regarding export size to be aware of.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88/videos

Some of his tutorials are for specific free annuals and you can download zips of the annual specific ones in better resolution on the description page for that month's annual they are for. They annuals ones have 2 zip of tutorials s and it is easy to miss the download links for them.
    The annuals haven't been converted yet to CC3+.

Also look at the full CC3 or CC3+ manual the quick Essentials guide leaves out a lot.

They have other tutorials on the forum so you always want to ask if you get stuck or need help doing something. Someone can usually give you a good reply post with instructions on how to do something or point you to one.

The soft ware is powerful and has lots of options so you want to go slow in learning how to use it.