Restoring default drawing tools

So, a question about drawing tools. I've been modifying several tools in the "Modern City" 2007 annual style, to change the colors for various tools to be more to my liking. It got me to thinking: if instead of making a new tool with my preferred color, I instead just replace the colors of the default tool (essentially, replacing the default tool with my slightly modified version), is there a way to restore the colors and other parameters of the drawing tools to their default "out of the box" state?

I ask this because I noticed that, after modifying my tools in my current map, if I save and then open a brand-new map in the "Modern City" style, it shows me my modified tools. So any changes I make to a tool seem to be "permanent", e.g. for any tool I modify while working in a map, any new maps will have the modified tool, not the default tool. So I was just wondering if there is a way to restore the tools to their default state if I wanted to later? Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am guessing a 'Repair Install' of the annual will probably work, if not you'll need to uninstall and reinstall the annual, there are no simple 'revert to default' option.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2017
    You can also back up the actual drawing tool files on the computer. For example, you can copy them to a backup folder or zip them in an archive. Then, if you need to restore them, you can just copy them back from your backup folder or extract them from your archive file and overwrite the changed files. They're stored in the System\Drawtools\Annual Modern City folder, under the CC3 program folder.

Naturally, this only works if you back up the original files before you make changes.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Dogtag: Nice! That will work nicely. Honestly, it's not overly likely that I'll suddenly find myself desperately needing to use the default tools for something - the changes I'm making are because I'd be happier with the changes, obviously. But at the same time, I couldn't escape a feeling of wanting to have a way to get them back just in case. So this will work well, since I can just keep the backups around and only use them when and if I need to.

As to your last point: I hadn't actually made changes to the base tools yet, or gotten rid of any of the default tools in favor of my mods, so this will work. Instead, all I'd done so far is create alternate versions of a couple tools, naming them "(tool name) mod", and then keep both the mod and the original tool. I briefly thought, just keep doing this, keep the mods AND originals around, but that will seriously bloat my list of drawtools (most of the drawtools in this style have some small modification I want to make for my own maps, so in the end I'd almost have two of every tool if I went that route, which would just be annoying when trying to select tools).

Thanks!