Making your own interactive atlas to give away to others

Hi.

I have a product question about CC3+ and its ability to make an interactive atlas.

I was wondering if anyone knows how this works with CC3+. Is it possible to make maps in CC3+, make them into an interactive atlas, and then send the atlas to someone in an email, and have them be able to open up the maps and use them as an interactive atlas without the person who received the maps needing to own CC3+ as well?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No.

All CC3+ maps require CC3+ to view. The free viewer doesn't support CC3+. Well, it would work on pure vector maps, but not on maps containing raster artwork.

You could make something similar by exporting all maps to image formats, and then use html to make image maps to make clickable areas in the images, but that would have the usual limitations images have compared with native CC maps.
  • Hmm...that's a crying shame. I was hoping to be able to use the ability to make interactive atlases as a selling point for commissions.

Thanks for the answer Monsen.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    To clarify a point: you can't do what you're looking for directly from CC3. You can, however, export the artwork for the various map levels and use some additional technology (HTML, various JavaScript libraries such as leaflet.js, SVG, custom apps, and so on) to stitch them all together.

The globe program that I did for the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, for example, is pretty much trivial to do these days in a browser using leaflet.js; you do need to generate the XML to hook everything together, but that's not hard to do.

FT3's multi-file export uses fairly primitive HTML to link the multiple maps that it outputs.

You'd need to learn some bits of other technologies to get everything to work.
  • edited January 2017
    EDIT: How silly of me. I've found info on how to do this outside of CC3+. I just forgot I had it...doh!
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Posted By: tonnichiwaEDIT: How silly of me. I've found info on how to do this outside of CC3+. I just forgot I had it...doh!
    Mind sharing the info you found? Thanks
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    edited January 2017
    What you can do though is make the map in CC3+ and get yourself a copy of Realm Works.

Realm Works lets you load in the map, pin it and connect the pins to articles where you can write what ever you like.

Now this gets better... because this is about to happen...

Soon (as in Feb 2017) they will launch the Content Market. They have already released the ability to Import and Export realms. Which means you can already share your content with whomever you like and even better, when the content market launches, you can sell it.

To give you an idea of whats possible. This is an interactive map of Faerun that I've been working. And before anyone else asks... no you can't have it due to copy-right.

• @Dkarr: This is the best thing I have found for it. They have tutorials for how to get started. http://leafletjs.com/

@Sklore: Cool. I've got Realmworks but I haven't been keeping up on it. I've been working on my Asian based world there but it has been a while. Nice to see they are finally getting things back together after their main content person left.