ProFantasy - Pinterest Page

I created a Pinterest page for my ProFantasy stuff similar to my Deviant Art Profile.

If anyone wants, they can check it out here: https://www.pinterest.com/crobinson1797/

PS: I was not sure which discussion category to stick this in - I hope that Cartographic Resources is okay.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't understand what the point is with Pinterest. What does it do?
  • edited January 2017
    You can pin any interesting picture/photo from the internet on one of your virtual board in order to, for example, create a board consisting of melee weapons or any other things you think you'll use as a reference in drawing. Some of my friends do so. I have a board called "dark forests, hedges, C:tL" to get into the mood before playing changeling: the lost and to share with my storyteller (he actually used one of it ^_^). Some people create boards to collect photos of food recipes they hope to cook someday. :)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Think of Pinterest as a public favorites list that is used as part of a large data-mining scheme that includes advertisements from third parties (those last two points broadly come under the heading of "social media").
    This is a general question about Pinterest, and nothing to do with your new account, Charles, because I know you wouldn't do this... but why do people keep pinning my maps without even asking me? Is that the 'norm' nowadays?

I must be getting old. It used to be that people were polite and respectful to the author of a work.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2017
    I think PInterest is founded on the principle that they can do morally wrongs stuff and earn money from it by shifting the blame to individual users who don't know better or don't care. They can claim that they respect creators by simply handling DMCA takedowns (Which would only be sent for a small fractions of the violations anyway), and claiming that it was their user who pinned the stuff in the first place, not them, so they are innocent.
    A lot of users doesn't understand that pinning something is actually a way for Pinterest to earn money from other people's work. They (the user) will often see it as an innocent thing that even increases someones exposure. Other users may understand the fact, but they simply doesn't care.
    I have to congratulate Pinterest in this. They have found a truly morally dubious way of driving traffic to their site (Which is what earns them money [ads, user data/statistics to sell, etc]), while being able to claim they are innocent (because it is the user who did the pinning of the copyrighted material). They even hide stuff behind a login wall, so if you don't want to accept their terms of use, it is really difficult finding your stuff on the site in order to send them a proper DMCA. Of course, not to forget that the DMCA is just an American thing, but many US companies tends to hide behind it for all global misdeeds nevertheless.

Of course, there are also responsible people on Pinterest, as well as people who only pin their own stuff, but there a sufficient large amount of people out there not in those categories.
  • Yeah, thats why I stay away from there.
    Well, all I know is that there are 23 versions of Merelan City, Bloodrock and all three levels of Merelan Observatory on the Fantasy Maps board - all bar one from the Guild website (although I don't think it matters where they came from - more that they are there ALL there without my consent)

Of course, it gets to the point where you could waste a whole lifetime filling in forms to get things removed at that kind of rate, so they win either way, because I'm not likely to go through all that hassle just to remove the maps when they are already on public display here and at the Guild.

Curiously, the only maps that haven't been pinned are Ethran, and the very final version of Merelan City. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this is because they were both scooped up and plonked on the Guild FB page as soon as they hit the Finished Maps forum. So - irony of ironies - one social media trumps another, but at least my maps are on the Guild FB page with my full permission and consent, and I am properly credited as the author and owner :)
  • Everything said about Pinterest is true. Chances are, your work is lifted right off of the Cartographer's Guild website. They may even have their own Pinterest site. You can find a group for them on Deviant Art, but you submit your own work to the group. For me personally, I am not worried about it so I don't mind putting my stuff on either site. I fully understand why many do not though. If you post it anywhere online and want to protect it, watermark it. That way, anyone who ever grabs it has zero excuses. Many people are like me and just like sharing their work. This creates confusion though for people who love our work. In addition, I graduated with my MBA in December, but I have had not been able to find a new career yet here in Southern Illinois. As such, I am selling items that feature my work in an effort to try and bring in some money. The additional exposure may help in that effort. In addition, on both Deviant Art and Pinterest, I highlight Profantasy Software and that will hopefully bring them more business as well. Finally, additional exposure may also bring me more comissions. Note, I never post commission work online. It all comes down to what you want to do with your own work. For me, I cherish every comment, every like, every share, and every fan that hits favorite. I started off just making stuff for my own use, but I also make my stuff for others to enjoy as well. The only thing that would annoy me is somebody taking credit for my work and selling it. Other than that, they can use it for their personal use no problem. But, that is just me.
  • edited January 2017
    I found a pin on pintrest of one of my very first maps. But it was listed as being made by someone else.

This is the map they said they made.

By the way Charles, have you made any money from those things you are selling on that website yet? I went over and took a look, very clever idea :)
  • Not yet. LoL! I have only placed one design up so far. From what I read, most people use a variety of sites. Others that I read about include Society 6, and if I remember right, another one is Threadless. The main problem that I see is that there is such a large selection of designs that it is hard to stand out and to be found. That is one of the reasons I built a Deviant Art profile and a Pinterest profile, to increase exposure. I am not too worried about it right now, it does not cost me anything so it is a win win. I am thinking about doing some RPG stuff with my RPG world. If I build the product infrastructure first, I may be able to to increase sales by linking it to the RPG products. www.rpgnow.com operates the same way, so again, it costs nothing; so no risk. It also gives me a way to practice my marketing skills sets that I have learned at my own pace in a safe environment. Again, a win win. I am still looking for work, but I if I cannot find a job, I will create a job. And, when I find a job, I can still make extra money with it - even if is just enough to pay for my hobbies. :-)
    edited January 2017
    My maps have been pinned from all over the place. Its like a silent plague.

I think that if the Guild had a Pinterest page both Ethran and the final version of Merelan City would have been pinned, since they were instantly applauded and put on the FB page, but neither of those two maps have been pinned.

The thing I don't like about Pinterest, apart from the fact they are making money out of my maps via the advertising income described by Remy above, is that unlike FaceBook a pinner can change the comment and take credit for the artwork themselves - just as Tonnichiwa has discovered.

There will be a few red faces though once I publish, because the liars who do this kind of thing to my maps will be blown clean out of the water by the proof of my ownership on the author's webpage :P :P :P

I also think I do plenty of advertising for Profantasy just by showing my maps at the Guild and allowing them to go up on the Guild webpage, where people who want to be able to draw maps rather than just look at them, are want to come ;)
  • edited January 2017
    Here is Ethran:

They pulled it directly from the Cartographer's Guild website. I am not saying that the the Cartographer's Guild is to blame though.
    edited January 2017
    I'm really glad I've never uploaded the better version anywhere at all.

Its not that I'm against sharing. I'm just against people making money out of me like that without my permission.

I'm not even being credited as the author.
  • Since I am sharing, what I am going to do in those cases is to use the comment section to take my proper credit for it and to place the links to my pages and the appropriate forum. That way, there is no doubt.
    I was having a conversation with Redrobes earlier by Private Message over at the Guild to see if there was a way to have things watermarked automatically as and when they are downloaded from the Guild by anonymous others, including Pinterest. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a way, but he's written a couple of apps - one for Windows and one for Mac, which will watermark images in bulk. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know the result when I do.

This is the thread, if you are interested
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited January 2017
    You might take a look at this:

http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2012/03/takedown-how-pinterest-moved-fast-to.html

She claims to have gotten all of his stuff removed from Pinterest in an hour, with a properly constructed email. Not sure how well anyone else can do it, that doesn't have a popular blog, but the legalities are universal. You might also research a proper, legally binding DMCA notice (their infringement reporting form isn't).

(Note that there is a link in there that you can substitute your own domain into, and see everything that comes from that domain. This makes it pretty easy to identify infringing images.)

As a side note, Pinterest is apparently hosted on Amazon's cloud service, so infringements can be reported directly to Amazon as well (though they prefer you go through Pinterest first):

http://www.webpronews.com/pinterest-dmca-notices-amazon-2012-03/
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is very good information. Thank you.
    Thanks taustinoc :)

I'll have a look at that.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThanks taustinoc :)

I'll have a look at that.
    Please let us know how it works out. (Not that I'd expect you not to.)

:)
    I've been a bit busy just lately, but I will get back to you on that if I feel its necessary to actually do anything about the ones that are already there.

For now I'm concentrating my efforts on preventing any more of them going anywhere without my name on them.

The maps which are being abused this way are all the ones that I did without my copyright note and name on the bottom (unless anyone has seen otherwise). I think it puts people off quite a lot.

I'm also going to mentally assign some of my maps as 'lost' beyond hope, and simply deal with anyone who ever tries to challenge me over ownership if it should ever come to that once I've published. I do, after all, have all the WIPs at various resolutions and the original CC3 files ;)
    Reading through this thread again I can see that I was pretty upset about Ethran being pinched - but then I'm worried that with global exposure on a site like Pinterest, where credit is never given and people sometimes even claim the map as their own, someone might pinch the idea and sue me for plagiarism when I get around to publishing my own original novel!

Now that I've calmed down I can see that it is unlikely such a law suit would work because I have all the evidence of having worked on it for years, the only thing I really need to do is always, always add the copyright info on every single map I do in the future, and for really special maps use a watermark.
  • The reality is that anyone who can afford to sue you is extremely unlikely to do so, because they open themselves up to a countersuit - and they have enough to be worth suing them. They may infringe on your copyrights - some big companies do that on an appallingly regular basis - but suing you over it is pretty rare.

Those who would are, generally, deterred by the fact that no qualified attorney will touch a case like that on a contingency (and attorney's can get in a lot of trouble for filing bogus lawsuits - it's called barratry, and it's a crime in many places, and potentially grounds for disbarment everywhere), and retainers will be five figures or more. So the sort of people who would sue you don't have the money to do so.

(It does happen, though, occasionally. Often with hiliarious results, like The Oatmeal vs FunnyJunk.)
  • Hmm... I have noticed that 180.76.15.20 and variations on that IP address are in China and has been either looking at, or looking and downloadnig, all of my Dwarf Home maps.

Along with 194.187.170.128

Hopefully they are just using them as game maps. The look at my site late at night my time, but that would be day time in their time zone.
  • "180.76.15.20 is a static assigned Cable/DSL IP address allocated to Beijing Baidu Netcom Science and Technology Co"

Look like it's probably an ISP selling broadband service, but with a static IP, it seems less likely to be residential.

There are reports of that particular IP being the source of hacks to set up fraudulent web sites, including ones that take credit card numbers. How confident are you in your server's security?

(My Covert Ops site gets more hits from Russia than everywhere else combined, but it seems to be genuine gaming interest, and it's hosted on Google Sites, so it's not my problem anyway.)
  • My web host has good security. I had thought they might be getting my maps and using them to sell or make a book out of them. I know China doesn't exactly follow copyright laws. This surge of them getting my maps started after i posted the url to Dwarf Home to a site that deals with 3D printing, and traps for gaming.

I don't sell anything, so hopefully they aren't scamming people out of money.
    Scams of that nature go on all the time with all kinds of things. Apparently its quite common to find book covers advertising 'get this book free' when its actually being sold on Amazon for a few dollars. You don't get the book, but you could end up with something you really don't want on your system if you click it to download it!