Ruins/Necropolis?

I realize that it's sort of a niche, but is there a good city symbol set among the annuals for creating the ruins of a necropolis or a lost and/or long-abandoned city? (Think Machu Picchu or an uncovered Pompeii)?

I know for the ruins of a town or village I might consider just using an expansive dungeon map, and if I were doing a smaller community overview map I could probably get away with the ruined buildings in the base Bitmap B of the CD3+ set, but for a larger community I was concerned about the potential repetition and looking for more obviously stone/brick ruins for larger things such as temples or government centers. Just curious what people might suggest!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi AgoForg :)

I see no one has had any ideas on this for you, and I'm not really the person to answer your question since I don't have any of the annuals, but there are ways that you can avoid repetitive patterns appearing by mirroring, rotating and fractionally re-sizing the ones that you have. With ruins you also have the option of covering a corner here and there with vegetation, and overlapping them to make more complex shapes.

I hope that helps give you a few new ideas :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited January 2017
    Also...

It depends how artful you are with Sheet effects, but you could download Bogies Mapping Objects and use the brick and stone fills to draw walls as polygons, then add a bevel effect to them, much as you would in a dungeon map. The added advantage of doing it that way would be total freedom in the shape and form of your walls.

Another choice is to download the CSUAC Collections. There are practically thousands of symbols available there, and some of them may help you with this project. I remember seeing a ruined tower or two when I last used them :)

All these symbol collections are free, and available from the sticky thread at the top of the forum entitled "Interesting, Important and Helpful topics - Free Symbols, Resources, Tutorials & More"
  • And you can use a sand, gravel, etc. appropriate bitmap fill on top of symbols by using a sheet further down the list that the Symbols sheet.