Setting up for a house blueprint

As a practical exercise I'm going to be creating a blueprint of our home using the 1800's Floorplans from the 2016 Annual (http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2016/april16.html).

I'm going to lay down a 5' square grid (on the grid sheet and a grid layer I've added) to help get things aligned and I'd like to be able to have a snap to every 1' that I can switch to when needed. Do I create a new entry with "5'Grid, 5 snap" to do this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes. Basically, you just set the spacing for the grid to 5, and snap divisions to 5.
  • Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I get started in CC3+. Right now I'm amusing everyone in the house (dogs and people) measuring all the walls with a tape and running back to note it down on a graph paper map.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Thom1965 :)

Don't be surprised, and certainly don't panic, if all your carefully taken measurements don't line up exactly. There are a surprising number of inaccuracies in the walls of any building - including the modern ones. My mum's house is presumably nice and straight, but when I put up the coving for her last year I discovered a 4 inch difference between the lengths of the two longest (and presumably parallel) walls of the living room! LOL!
  • Oh, I know, Loopysue! There are so many little jigs and jogs in this house that I'm surprised it all fits together. At this point I'm just trying to make the layout work out to within a few feet.

I'd like to, in the end, have a nice image of the house I can use to map out areas for lighting and such to be controlled by a smart home hub (and Alexa). I thought this would make a good project to practice with CC3
    but it's certainly a lot of drudge work to convert something real world rather than something imaginary.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Well if you end up with a room where none of the walls are the same length, the easiest way to work out just exactly what kind of a parallelogram you are dealing with is to measure both the diagonals, so that you have two bearings on the position of each corner relative to the rest of the room. Its the simplest form of doing a survey ;)