Chain of mountains question

Would anyone be interested in developing a set of connecting symbols that create a chain of mountains?

Visualisation: A set of symbols that could help us do things like this (which I drew in GIMP):

[Image_7231]

It has occurred to me that given the theory of connecting symbols (read in the TOME) this should be possible... kind of... but I'm not sure if it would really work.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2016
    This was done with a mouse and no pressure sensitivity.

I'm getting a Wacom for Christmas, so I should be able to make the drawing a lot more professional in a few weeks time :)
    I suppose the first two questions I need to ask are:

1. If you have a number of variations on a straight symbol of the same length, will random selection work with a set of connecting symbols, even though the TOME advises against it?

2. If you have straight symbols that are shaded either on the left or the right but not both, and you want to use them either on up or down lines on the map but not both (to simulate the correct lighting direction), would that even be possible?
  • The symbols I created years ago were very uhm 'cheesy' not all that good. But if someone else would make some mountain or forest connecting symbols, that would be great !
    Ah!

I think forest connecting symbols would be relatively easy, maybe (once I get the tablet to draw the things that is).

Its the mountains that are the problem. How did you cope with the fact that they are shaded on one side, and would turn around and be the wrong way to the direction of light if you drew a nearly closed circle of them?
  • Loopysue That sounds like a great idea.
  • This does sound like it would be cool if you could pull it off.

I have this vision of being able to just draw a line for a mountain chain as described in Shessar's Mountain tutorial, but to have that line convert to actual mountains that make a convincing ridge. If the technique could be resolved and I knew what kind of thing I was trying to draw, it would make the realisation of that dream a little easier to bring about.

Are there any existing examples of what I describe in any of the annuals?

(I don't have any of the annuals)

I could really do with some kind of starting point with this.
  • Hmm...I'll have to look. I don't recall anything dealing with connecting mountains that way, but I think there is an annual that tells you how do it with walls.

One idea might be to just connect the main line, then make some symbols that are meant to be placed on either side of the line, depending on which way the line goes, that add the details.
    LOL! I really don't know very much about connecting symbols. Only what I've read in the TOME.

I f you could drop me any useful details of how they really behave that would be great. Thanks :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2016
    If you don't have CD3 or DD3, then there are connecting symbols in the Vintyri collection you can examine. At the very least, I'm pretty sure Vintyri Symbol Set 5 has them.
  • Oh..hehe, I'm not really sure yet either as there is a lot of the Annuals I haven't even read about yet. I'll get looking though.
    edited December 2016
    Posted By: DogtagIf you don't have DD3, then there are connecting symbols in the Vintyri collection. I'm pretty sure that, at least, Vintyri Symbol Set 5 has them.
    Thanks Dogtag. I have DD3. I just didn't realise there were any in there! I'll go have a look in the morning now (its kind of nearly 3 am here!). I don't have Symbol set 5 ;)
    Posted By: tonnichiwaOh..hehe, I'm not really sure yet either as there is a lot of the Annuals I haven't even read about yet. I'll get looking though.
    Thanks Tonnichiwa. That's very kind of you, but please don't think you have to do this now that I know there are some real examples I can get my hands on to look at straight away in the morning. That's not to say that I would say no to a bit more information if you just happen to come across any connecting symbol sets that display a particularly useful mountain ridge-like trait ;)
  • edited December 2016
    Well, the Annual that talks about it is from 2007 and says to get the most information about it check the Help menu in the CC3 program. The Annual is about using an existing catalog template to make it, instead of making them from scratch like the Vintyri project does.

The website they give is http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/toolsnj.htm

I suspect that this is no longer valid though and we should probably just use the site as listed at the top of the forums.
    Thanks Tonnichiwa :)

I can hardly wait to get this Wacom!
  • Not sure this will really help, Sue, as it's not quite what you were talking about, but the nearest things for mountain range creation from the Annuals that sprang to my mind were the Shaded Relief Maps from Dec 2008, and the mountain drawing tools in the Fantasy Realms pack from Feb 2009. Both of those are top-down viewing styles, but perhaps there are ideas there which you might try to adapt.
    Thanks Wyvern :)

I was hoping to develop an ISO style set of connecting symbols first, but now that I've seen those images I might turn my attention to that kind of mountain range in the future ;)
  • I don't know how you made your mountains but I just did this because I was trying to see if I could make a new symbol. I have no clue how to get the colors to work right so this is what the result was of just playing with some weird blue white and yellow color combinations.
    Oooh! Pretty!

I like very much :D

This is where I learned how to draw mine: Fantastic Maps - Johnathon Roberts tutorial on ISO mountain ridges

Johnathon Roberts seems to be a widely acknowledged expert in the matter over at the Guild, and even if you choose to carry on with your own style (which is really very attractive), watching his tutorial is kind of mesmerising ;) You just have to flex your mind around the inevitable PS/CC3 instruction set clashes. Most of the PS blend modes Johnathon talks about are called the same thing as the CC3 blend mode sheet effects are.
    I did mine in GIMP, btw. I wanted to vary the line width like Johnathon does.

Do you know if there's a way to vary the line width with a pressure sensitive Wacom in CC3?

(Funny story - I don't have the Wacom yet, so I had to set the line width variation to 'velocity', which meant that I had to draw really fast to make the line trail off into nothing. Of course, this resulted in a huge canvas as I practised whizzing around drawing a set of mountains that were larger than most of the continental maps you can see on the Guild. It also resulted in some rather over-enthusiastic arm flourishes, one of which swept an entire pint of orange juice straight off the edge of my desk! The moral of that story is - be sure to clear your desk of all potential hazards before you decide to follow suit, or you may just end up spending a quiet but exhausting half hour cleaning the floor, or... if you clock it going in the opposite direction... crying huge lakes of tears over a badly drowned laptop.)
  • Well, I didn't make that in CC3, that was made in Artrage Studio because I still haven't figured out how to add color in CC3 to something like that. I also haven't found a way to have the tablet vary the pen width in CC3+ or CC3. I don't think it's possible honestly.

I'm glad you like the color but I think there is too much yellow in it myself. I was trying to make some mountains with a slightly green tint on the ground beneath them and also to try to find a way to tint the white lines running down the mountain so they weren't so bright. I'm not sure I like the end result.

You really should be more careful with those strokes Sue...lol...you are liable to end up knocking more than orange juice over.

Thanks for the tutorial from John Roberts. I'm not sure if you know but he has done a number of the Annuals here for Profantasy.
    Thanks for the info, Tonnichiwa :)

Even though the line width can't be varied, I think it might still be worth at least having a go at drawing them directly into CC3, even if the symbols I/we make are made in GIMP/Krita/Artrage for a more professional finish.

Colours - I just select the colour by clicking the swatch in the top bar. Lines are automatically drawn in the selected colour. The fatter more blurry lines I would draw on a sheet with a very large blur effect, possibly with an additional blend mode set to about 50% transparency and 'overlay' to mimic John's PS mountains.

JR making mountains for us? That figures. No wonder PF mountains generally look so good ;)
  • edited December 2016
    He's made more than mountains. He's made villages, towns, and all kinds of overland and dungeon artwork. Should I make another map like Mok Torkan?, Only this time use John Roberts symbols?

Thank you for telling me how you would do that Sue, I will have to give it a go. I honestly think that while I may not be able to change the pen width in an instant, I can at least change it for each line that I draw, so for instance, in the mountains that I just made in Artrage Studio, notice how the top line is thicker, and then the lines going down the mountainside are smaller? That we can do. It would take a long time and be tedious, but probably very worth it when we are done if what you have said about how to add color to them works.

So what do you think Sue, should I post this blue mountain range at the Guild?
    I'm hoping so. It certainly worked with the Gymnopus P map - that little red map I did for the Challenge a couple of months back?

Another way to add shading of a more irregular shape would be to use a sheet with a transparency effect followed by a blur effect, and draw polygons of solid in whatever colour you like. That's another technique that worked quite well in the GP map :)

I'm not trying to replace anything that's already been drawn by the way. It just occurred to me that we could do with a set of connecting mountain symbols that would allow us to draw instant mountain ranges for world scale maps. The HW mountains I prefer to use are beautiful, but they are really best suited to regional maps, and have a tendency to disappear into a haze of detail if they are reduced enough to be used on a global scale map.

I only have Schley and HW because I have don't have any annuals at all, so it would be interesting to see the same city done with a symbol set that I've not seen before, but don't let it distract you from your other projects ;)
  • LOL, Sue, don't you know? I've got so many projects going that I never know which one to continue to make!

I like your ideas for drawing our own stuff. It's one of my favorite features of CC3+
    You sound like me!

I'm currently trying not to get distracted by a new set of houses I was making (originally for Merelan city, but now far too late for that), finishing the Road to Tiamis, and going to bed (its just gone 4 am... again!)

I think I will have to let the bed win now. I'm just not really thinking all that straight!

I will continue working tomorrow, after doing my duty with a bit more of the Christmas day left overs. I think a nice clear turkey noodle soup is in order after all that pudding and cream I've consumed over the last couple of days :)
  • So I imported the framework of those mountains into CC3+ and followed your directions for adding color to them. I admit that I really have no idea how to shade something in a painting so I know it isn't great, but I just thought I would show you what I've done so far. I was surprised at how well it worked out.
    That's really pretty, Tonnichiwa :)

I like the warmer colours better.

I can see I'm going to have to up my game.

Just you wait till I get my hands on my new tablet!
  • Up your game huh?

Haha, ok, well I really can't wait to see what you do with your new tablet.

So this is adding all of the white lines in CC3+

I've still got to add darker lines so it is shaded a bit better but I'm glad I can do this in CC3 and have it look decent.
    Getting better and better :)

When I did this kind of thing with Gymnopus P I used 2-3 sheets for highlights, and another 2-3 sheets for shade - each with varying line widths and different blurs on them to break up the regularity.