Selectivly deleting rivers from FT3 overlay.

After I generate rivers in FT3 is there a way that I can edit the rivers generated and selectively remove / delete some of the rivers? Also in a way that the rivers deleted will not just be hidden so they still export to CC if I were to export a region where I removed the rivers.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT3 does not offer the sort of fine-grained control over the river overlays that you are asking for, sorry. The closest that you can get is making a river exclusion mask that will prevent rivers from being generated in an area.
  • illuminatispyilluminatispy Traveler
    edited December 2016
    That will work! Is there a tutorial?

Thank you.
  • I find it much easier to make the basic continent, world, island in FT3, export the png. Import the png into CC3/CC3+ and trace it. Then add rivers. Or import the fcw file created by FT3 and modify it in CC3/CC3+.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I don't know if there's a river exclusion tutorial, but the idea is that an image overlay named "RiverExclusionMask" controls whether rivers can be created in an area. If the pixel is not fully transparent, rivers will not be created in that cell of the river calculation (drawing onto the image overlay means "don't put rivers here". Using this technique goes like this:

Create (or show if already existing) the river exclusion mask image overlay using Tools>>Rivers>>Enable River Exclusion Mask.
    Use Image Overlays>>Overlay Paint Tool to paint areas where you don't want rivers to be generated.
    Generate rivers normally; rivers will not be routed in the masked areas.

You can use Tools>>Rivers>>Remove River Exclusion Mask to hide the river mask and Tools>>Rivers>>Enable River Exclusion Mask to show it again.
    If you would like to permanently remove the river exclusion mask, use Image Overlays>>Show Overlay Window and delete the overlay named "RiverExclusionMask".
  • If I enable the river exclusion mask, all the rivers vanish. Exporting the mask shows it's solid black. I've tried selectively editing the exported image and bringing it back in as the mask, but the existence of the mask removes all rivers, or prevents generation in the first place.

Following instructions above still results in no rivers anywhere.

What I am missing?