Placing Structures - Help

Hello all,

So my next question. I am trying to apply a monastry to my map. I choose it, size and apply it. There it is neat. But when I save it, it disappears! If I redraw, it disappears. If I close CC3+ and open it, it's not there! Yet I have applied a henge, monolith and other symbols from the same set. Also a city I placed from the same set is there but buried under the trees I place earlier. I have moved my sheets around to see if I can get the city to come forward, but it just doesn't. Then I thought, okay I'll just reapply it, so I did, and it disappeared again. I tried creating a sheet named Structures, and chose the layer of the same, and it kept switching to the Symbols sheet. I'm a bit frustrated.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kaz

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For symbols that disappear on the next redraw after placing them, it means you have a sheet covering it. To make drawing quicker (avoiding a map redraw for each symbol placed), CC3 will just draw whatever you place on top for the time being, until the next redraw happens, in which it will go to the appropriate postion in the stack based on sheet order.

Most symbols go to the SYMBOLS sheet by default. This is by design, because it is so easy to forget to switch to the right sheet. For advanced mapping, this behavior can be switch off (Options button on top of the symbol catalog)

There are some symbols that do not go to SYMBOLS, either because of a mis-configuration in the symbol catalog, or they have a special purpose that requires a different sheet. Best way to find out which sheet a symbol is on is by using the List command from the Info menu.

Finally, to change ordering within a sheet, use the send to back/bring to front/send behind/bring in front of buttons.
  • Monsen you are my hero. Thank you. Next question, when I am done placing my structures, what type of Effects is good to make them pop?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For structures on an overland map, a glow effect usually makes them stand out.