Best way to do multi-story buildings?

I'm just getting started using CC3+ and DD3, having spent enough time with the software to do one decent map of a two story inn. I used the options from the new drawing wizard to set up a two story building (no roof), which resulted in two drawings and a menu to flip between them. Along the way I discovered a few practical issues on trying to get items such as stairs and outer walls which transition from story to story in the same locations and have the same dimensions as the lower story. Toward the end, I used the info tool to get point coordinates and transferred a few select things manually.

Is there an easier way to move such positional information from drawing to drawing?

Along the same line, My second story outside walls are inset from 1st story. What is the best way to represent the outline of the 1st story roof outside the walls of the 2nd story?

Just learning,
MstrCat

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2016
    Hello MstrCat - welcome to the Profantasy Forum :)

You can copy the set of stairs using Edit/Copy, and enter 0,0 (zero coma zero) on your keyboard when prompted for a copy origin in the command line. Then you can paste the same set of stairs in the other map by using Edit/paste and entering 0,0 when prompted for a paste origin. This will paste the stairs in exactly the same place on both maps.

That way, even if you want to use a down stair symbol in the upper floor and an up stair symbol in the lower floor, you do at least have an absolute reference marker for the right position to paste it in :)
  • "My second story outside walls are inset from 1st story. What is the best way to represent the outline of the 1st story roof outside the walls of the 2nd story?"
    I'm not too proficient, but I'd say it would be easiest to make a mulitpoly and fill that mulitpoly with a roof style.
    There's a pretty awesome tutorial (as in: learning stuff) of Joachim on his Homepage addressing multipolies
    https://jdr68.jimdo.com/2015/04/08/multiple-uses-of-multipolys/
    I'd say that you would be right about that, but you might want to study Dogtag's shaded polygon tutorial (available from the "Interesting, Important and Helpful..." sticky at the top of the forum)so that you can construct a roof in parts from the basic outline shape and align the tile fill to suit each section of the roof.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2016
    For multi-story buildings and a pyramid I'm working on...

I create the basic map. Save as floor01, save as floor02, save as floor03, etc.

Then I can modify each one, they will line up.

For the pyramid, I made a level smaller than the one 'below' it. Now, I just have to find the pyramid... its somewhere on an external usb hard drive. Hopefully I kept a copy elsewhere. This isn't for the B4 The Lost City pyramid, thats a separate project.

Ooooop ! one 'above' it.
    MstrCat - if you do it Jim's way (which does seem to be the simplest way if you're only just starting a map) you can add the hyperlink between the maps later.