What do I need to purchase¿¿??

Hello,

I'm looking for some tool to draw the style of maps that I'm attaching, but I'm kind of confuse with so many thing that are here CC2 CC3 CD3. Can someone guide me with what do I need?, thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2016
    That image is quite similar to the January issue of the 2015 annual.

Which means that you need
    - CC3+ (The core program)
    - Annual 2015

If you buy CC3+, I'll strongly advice you to work through the tutorials in the manual first, even if that deals with overland maps. It helps you learn the core concepts, which you will need to do when starting making those maps based on the annual style. Doing those tutorials will save you much frustration later.
  • thanks Monsen,

So with
    -Campaign Cartographer 3 with downloadable CC3+
    -The Cartographer's Annual Vol 9 (2015)

I'm ready to start mapping those kind of maps?

Thanks
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes, that's all you need for maps like that.

I should point out that Dungeon Designer 3 does add some tools that make dungeon mapping quite a bit easier, including dungeons in that style, so it is worth owning too IMHO, but is not strictly necessary.

• If you buy CC3+, I'll strongly advice you to work through the tutorials in the manual first,
    This cannot be emphasized enough. CC is a very complex piece of software, and the interface is not intuitive if you're used to more common graphics programs. Joe Sweeny's tutorials are excellent, and regardless of what kind of map you're working on, they will teach you how to use the most important tools available.
  • Thanks for the advice Taustinoc and Monsen. I have 0 knowledge in graphics programs, so I'm totally going to go through the tutorials you recommended.
  • The hardest thing to get used to is that the way you do things is reversed from most Windows programs. Instead of clicking on an object, then applying a tool to it, you select the tool, then the object(s) you want to apply it to. (I think it's a legacy of the CAD program CC is based on.) But it works pretty well once you get used to it, and while there isn't much that CC can do that I can't do in CorelDraw, I can already do it faster in CC (and there's the mapping specific artwork, which nobody can compete with).

It's also nice that there's such a patient, helpful community for when you get lost.
  • Yes, its due to a CAD engine, FastCAD, being used as the background for CC2/CC3/CC3+.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I quite often use CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint to make my own user symbols for CC3, but I would never bother making an actual map in Corel, when CC3 does it so very well.

And you're right about the community :)