CA3+ - Character Portraits

My son asked that I make him a new portfolio for his characters as a Christmas gift. As an added bonus to a nice leather portfolio binder, I decided to create a portrait for each character using Character Artist. I hope he likes them. :)

Comments

• edited December 2016
    These are wonderful Shessar! I'm sure he'll love them. I know I would have!

So how did you change the backgrounds on these?
  • Thanks Tonnichiwa! It took me a bit to get the hang of working with CA so I'm happy these turned out decent.

Most of the backgrounds are just symbols and fills from the overland styles with a slight transparency added to fade them out some. The modern background is an image I snipped out from a larger picture of an old building. I just added it via insert image.

My real pride is the last image. He is wearing a Winter Wolf cloak. It took me a while to create the symbols for it, but I think it turned out pretty good. Not perfect but I had never tried making fur before. LOL.
  • That's awesome! I think it looks great! Are you going to be making more clothing for these guys?
  • Love the backgrounds, but the characters are terrific.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    They look fantastic, Shessar :)

Very inventive on the backgrounds, and fur is brilliant.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I especially like the style choices you made when matching backgrounds to the characters. Very nice.
  • edited December 2016
    Absolutely love them! Great backgrounds! ?
  • Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping that I'll have a bit more free time in the new year to get caught up on all of the symbols and tutorials that I have in the works. I really do intend to create more clothing and accessories for CA. I'll probably start with modern/sci-fi since we are lacking there. I may do more arm poses as well to go along with the modern styles. I've been experimenting with trying to match my art style to what has already been done. That is really they key to my success. If the art isn't similar enough it will look ... odd. ;)
  • I'm really looking forward to seeing what you make!
  • Fantastic ! I could definately use CA items for space/modern.
  • JimP,

You can definitely use CA3+ for Science Fiction/Modern gaming.
  • I need symbols, character parts, etc. just not enough available currently.
  • Modern,Sci-Fi, & a Oriental stuff are things CA3+ needs big time.

I'm not sure if Pro fantasy was ever considered to maybe doing an annual issue to include new stuff and give a lot of advice on making new things or even doing a Modern/Sc-fi Add-on at some point.
  • AEIOUAEIOU Newcomer
    I'd love a kneeling, jumping, attention or other type of leg position. Maybe it is time for a character pack or two in the annuals? I really don't care for or need modern or sci-fi, but many outfits are interchangeable between genres so I'm open to any additions regardless of genre.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow! Highly imaginative dreams all round :)

But lets just think about this a bit.

Having a load of new postures is an exciting thought and would be a wonderful thing to happen... but how many parts are there to each character? I'm assuming four limbs a torso and a head? So each different pose in terms of the body parts alone is going to cost the artist 6 new drawings per body type (alien, human, animal... etc). And then there are all the variants on all the existing clothes and suits of armour, meaning that introducing a single new posture (at a wild guess, since I don't have CA3 myself) would mean at least 70 or so brand new drawings.

That's a serious commitment, and its not even considering all the extra work it would take after adding the new postures to the collection to draw a complete new outfit for all the different bits and pieces.

That's why I think Shessar's idea of more arm postures is probably ambitious enough right now, and Shessar - I take my hat off to you for all the work you have done for us already :)
  • It really helps me to know what would be most useful, so thanks for the input! I'm not an artist by trade or training, so it always takes me a ridiculous amount of time to create something that looks good enough to share. (That's why I always offer what I do for free. When I start a project, I'm never sure if what I'm making will turn out good or be a disaster. LOL) So knowing what people want saves me from wasting my time on things that won't ever get used.

Sue is right about the amount of work involved though. Even accounting for the fact that some models are the same, Human male thin and Elf male for example, there are many art pieces for each outfit. Still, as I create character portraits, I find there is a lack of certain types of clothing, both for fantasy and 'futuristic'. It's a gap that I hope to fill. :)

As I said, I'm expecting (hoping) that my free time will open up in the coming year so that I can complete all of the half finished projects that I have going and to start on some cool new CA symbols.

So if you have any more ideas feel free to post them. When I'm ready to start, I'll look at this thread and do as many as I feel that I can. Lirian and Seif's circlets and Seif's fur cloak (above) are just the first few bits. There will be more as I need them and then more as you post requests. Once I have enough of a certain type of item/clothing, I'll put them into catalogs and release them. At least that is my plan. LOL