I am so boggled and confused - Working on a HM map

Hello,

Whew am I boggled. I have a homemade map that I have been able to pull into CC3+. I made a layer named outline, and drew an outline of my map using the freehand sketch tool. My homemade map layer I hide so I could see the outlined layer. Now I am wanting to add ocean to the Sea layer, but I just can't figure out how to fill that layer with the ocean fill. So then I decided to just go through all the motions of building a new map again. with an ocean as the background. However I can't seem to pull my outline into that map. I am totally stumped as to how to get some ocean onto/into my outlined map.

Help?

Comments

• I think use a sheet for background.
    Draw a poly shape as big as the map, then fill that poly shape with whatever fill looks good to you.

You can change that poly fill with the edit properties button.

Well that is the way I know how to do it.

Probably an easier way.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If you want to transfer the coastline to the new map you can use Edit/Copy... from the menu, select the coastline, right click and choose 'Do It', then type 0,0 (zero comma zero) on your keyboard to give the copy from coordinates. Then in your new map (you can have both open at the same time) use Edit/Paste... from the menu, and either type 0,0 again on the keyboard to paste it, or click just once with the mouse to position the coastline.

Be careful, though, if you click more than once on the new map you will end up with multiple copies of the coastline all over the place ;)

If you want to turn the background on the original map to an ocean fill, hide all but the BACKGROUND sheet, and using the change properties button choose the background (there's usually a filled rectangle there already) and change the fill properties to suit.

If you want to turn your coastline into an actual landmass, you can do that by right clicking the fractalize tool and using the path to poly option to turn the coastline into a polygon. The fill of the new polygon will depend largely on what fill was 'live' when you drew the thing, so it will most likely be something completely wrong. Again, you can change the fill of your new polygon by using the change properties button.

If you are having difficulties wrapping your head around the way things work in CC3, it might be as well to work through the example map in the User Manual. Doing so will give you a solid foundation to work with ;)
  • Thank you to you both. I think the easiest thing is to just try to redraw my map from scratch.