Where are my new custom symbols?

After going through the essentials (CC3+, DD3, CD3, Cosmographer) plus the CC3+ manual, as well as the CC3 and DD sections of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, and having toyed with some of the Annuals that caught my eye and fancy, I embarked on hte task of creating my own style. The style that I fell in love with is the very clean Dracula Dossier, which is basically vector stuff plus some more vector stuff and no effects. So, I thought, this is going to be a piece of cake - I'll be making my own simple vector symbols straight in CC3+.

The first part went wonderfully - spent this afternoon creating over 80 column styles, from basic to historical all the way to fantasy-like patterns. I was also succesful at creating my catalogs and setting them so as to have them show up when I click the wall features button.

But then things went very badly with custom made sets of stairs. I finally understood what went wrong (the stair-symbols were created with their origin set to Middle-center, so when I set the stair-symbols to "Align on Insertion", they don't align their edges with the wall, but their center), and now I have to erase all the ones I had made and re-do the stairs from scratch. That's when I realised - where are they?

I understand that png symbols are put into a folder inside CC3plus/symbols/etc., but I'm doing this straight in CC3. The guides mention nothing about going back and erasing poorly designed symbols (although I might have missed something), or where they sit (again, I might have not understood it if they do).

1) Do I just create new well-designed symbols and record them over the old messed-up symbols using the Symbol Catalog?
2) How can I backup my new symbols in case the unmentionable happens and I lose everything on my laptop?
3) By the way, is there a way of editing the point of origin of the symbols so that I don't have to re-do all 20 of them?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    1. No. That would just create additional symbols. But you can delete the existing ones from the symbol manager. Just make sure you are working with your symbol catalog, and not the map you use them in. (Also notice that one first use, they are copied to the map, so editing the symbol catalog does no good for symbols already in the map)
    2. Backup the symbol catalog file (.fsc file), wherever you saved it.
    3. Yes. Open your symbol catalog for editing, go into the symbol manager, select the symbol to edit, and click 'Edit'. Define the edit Window, then use View-> Move Origin to set the origin wherever you need it. This is also the procedure when you need more control over the origin than the define symbol dialog gives you.
  • Thank you again Mosen, I feel much more easy about the backup. And with not having to redo all my drawing to change the Origin (I fumbled with the editing in the catalog for nearly an hour but I still failed to understand how to change it). You're a life savior. :)