Best settings in display Speed

What are the best settings in Display Speed > Use memory cache for bitmaps.

It says you need to have a minimum of -1, but that I can add more depending on my computer. I have an i7 quadcore with 16Gb RAM. How much should I add?

I'm hoping this could help me as I'm having problems when adding some symbols - they just keep redrawing themselves as I am trying to position them and taking forever to move.

Comments

• I was also having issues. Look at the thread "why am I bogging down." http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6687&page=1#Item_23

I have 6 gigs so you shouldn't have issues.

How far along is your map? Are you using effects?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, CC3(+) is a 32-bit program, so it can't handle more than 4GB of RAM (2GB on a 32-bit OS). So setting the value higher than 4096 is meaningless. If it would help increasing it or not can easily be seen if you look at the memory currently in use for the cache. If this is low, it means that you haven't run into the cache limitation, so increasing it won't help.

You could try to reduce the bitmap quality in that same box however, that would result in lower-quality bitmaps being used, which should make redraws faster.

I am curious as to which symbols you are having problems with though, as having a symbol on the cursor shouldn't trigger any redraws by itself.
  • @cobra that's the silly thing - I'm just practicing with guide pdfs from the annuals and essentials, trying to familiarise myself with the annual styles and improve my level of map making. The biggest map is 500 by 80, has a relative ton of effects and I can tweak it with effects on. But the ones that are giving me grief is the dracula dossier which does not have effects at all.

@Monsen My problem is that the symbol itself keeps redrawing, not the map. I am not sure how to be clearer. I am practsing with some annuals (dracula dossier, and similar black and white no-effects styles). I don't really know the proper names (plus I am away from my CC3+ for now) but I will try to explain. There's a button that brings up modular symbols to create dungeons and whatnot, and lined symbols (I mean, just the line art, not painted inside) show up to build walls, fences and, eventually, hedges. The moment I clich the symbol and put my cursor on the map the symbol starts by redrawing itself, I move the cursor and again there's a lag in the movement as the symbols redrwas itself, than suddenly moves to the next point I had my cursor at, redraws itself, moves again, and it gets so annoying I just press esc and that's the end of it.

I have upped the number to 20Mb, because that was the usage in another map I was practicing with, but the problem with the symbol happens in a map with a lower current usage than 20Mb. I will go read the other discussion, see if it has something to help me, thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway, if I understood correctly, I can put something like 2000Mb without problem?
    20MB is a really bad number, because that limits your cache a lot. If you are going to put anything besides -1 in there, you should at least put a number like 500 or larger. a number like 20 is only appropriate if you have very little memory available, and need to limit the cache as much as possible. I believe 2000 should be fine, although I have never encountered a map needing that much.

The symbols from the Dracula Dossier are vector symbols, so they won't benefit from the bitmap cache. It is normal that they flicker a tiny bit as you move your mouse around, but I've never encountered any kind of slowdown from that, even on horribly slow machines. Are you sure the lag in movement is not simply caused by snap points though? This style does have cursor snap on by default, which will cause the symbol to snap to certain positions in the map instead of having a fluid movement.
  • Mmm interesting. I didn't know about the snap, I will check it and then report if it did the trick. Thanks, Mosen.
  • The flickering of the vector hedges did not improve - but as I decided I'll be making my own vector symbols, it won't make me lose my sleep over it. Thanks anyway for your help Monsen.
  • I remember, not sure if this was fixed or not, but symbols with an even number of sides can flicker. Odd number of sides don't.
  • Ah! Then that is why the manual insists that, when creating symbols, they must be an odd number. mmm I wonder - Does it count as an even number if I group 2 entities and then create the resulting 1-entity as a symbol?
    It is not the number of entities directly, but the number of overlapping lines forming the outline. So no, grouping the entities will not work. The usual trick is to just add another line/entity hidden beneath the others to get it up to an odd number.
  • I understand, thanks for explaining.

By the way, as it is the number of overlapping lines forming the outline, if my symbol is a collection of several entities on top of each other to form a pattern, is it best to make it into a poly so that it truly becomes one single entity? It would be more work to clean up the extra unneeded lines, but it would probably be a better procedure.

Example: joining some circles and squares to get an arab-looking pattern.
    No, that isn't necessary.