Drawing tools?

Ok looking through some of the annuals. (I have yet to purchase any not sure which are best for me)
I see what is included in some of the anuals and in November 16 it lists 36 drawing tools. I know the difference between fills and symbols and such, but why so many draeing tools and what do they all do? Kinda lost on how there can be so many. When I think drawing tools I think of brush styles lol.

Any clarification with examples would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2016
    Drawing tools are the buttons on the upper left that you typically use to create things like terrain and sea contours, roads, rivers, walls, and floors. And each terrain type (grassland, farmland, etc), floor type, wall, etc. is a separate drawing tool. The drawing tools use the various available fills and symbols to draw what you want.

When an annual says it includes X new drawing tools, it usually means tools for a variety of new fills but also, on rare occasion, something altogether new. Lighting was introduced in an annual. There's also an annual (still CC3 only) with tools for drawing thick castle walls.

You can manually create anything done via drawing tool, but it's more work. You have to manually select the entity you want to use (line, path polygon, etc.), fill, color, width, layer, and sheet. And some drawing tools use macros behind the scenes, too.

Does that help clarify things a little?

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Yep thanks just the use of vernacular is a bit different between different programs one uses . A little inside information helps at times, thanks a ton.
    edited December 2016
    No problem. The biggest difference in terminology that many people have trouble with (myself included) is commonly with sheets and layers. Sheets in CC3 are similar to what most other programs call layers. And layers in CC3 are something else entirely.
  • I started using CC before they added the Sheets. I still forget lots of times to use them in CC3+ Good thing items default to the respective sheets unless they are manually told not to.
    Yeah, when they added sheets it really messed with my vocabulary for a while.
  • Posted By: cobra mustangI started using CC before they added the Sheets. I still forget lots of times to use them in CC3+ Good thing items default to the respective sheets unless they are manually told not to.
    I remember us having a big discussion about sheets defaulting for certain things. I pointed out I was one of those who kept forgetting to change layers when I changed from vegetation to structures. And it would be good if I didn't have to remember making sure i was on the correct sheet. Other folks made similar comments.
  • Using Symbol Manager, and clicking on the Options button, you can change the Sheet that a particular symbol defaults to. I use this a lot. (Doesn't do layers though)