My first map - cultssecret basement below a mill

Just thought I would share my first map - I'm new to CC3+ and also to dungeons and dragons in general so I am putting together my first adventure. The basement is a lair for followers of Malar - the cells are actually kennels. The entrance is going to be through the cobbled room which is the mill basement. The shrine area will be hidden and is overgrown as I have another character that is using them to his own ends and raising Blights (need to add in symbols etc!). Anyhoo its a bit of a complicated story that i won't bore you with - just thought I'd give a bit of a s
setting. My first map - having done a few of the tutorials and spent a while playing with lighting effects.

I am looking for advice/tips and, of course, anyone willing to say nice things too :)

J

Comments

• Would be better to share an image for two reasons.

#1 so someone doesn't steal your hard work without permission. Though I am sure no one here would do so.

#2 not everyone will have the symbol sets and other add ons to see the entire map.

I opened it and it was about 50% red X's
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello James, and welcome to the Profantasy forum :)

You can render a jpeg image directly from the map by using the Save As option, and changing the file type to suit.

If you need further help producing an image please let us know :)
  • Ah! Yes I had thought this might be the case!

Thank you both for replies. I doubt anyone will want the FCW really (I am pretty new to this!) but if they do or want it as abase to do something with then very welcome!

Thanks again!

J
    That's an excellent first map, James :)

You seem to have mastered the lighting set up straight off. That is very generous of you to offer the use of your FCW like that. I am sure there will be quite a few GM's that would like to take a peek at how you did it :)
  • Thankyou both - and it's no bother if anyone did want it - it's only for myself and three or four mates so not particularly precious! If anyone does want it I have used CSUAC2 and Bogies for cc3+... I also have the second Symbols add on. I think - the floors one. Get a bit lost in it all tbh!

I would ask for anyone who might know to explain/advise on one or two problems.

Small symbols - my main symbols such as tables cast shadows. But I can't seem to get items on the table which would cast smaller shadows to cast one unless I really ramp up the shadow length to the point it looks daft.

How can I get the outside to show? Is there an easy way? Obviously no lights outside but if I put light finalise on the background layer is have to move it above the dungeon for it to show - thus obscuring everything. Can't think of an obvious solution if I want to show surrounding details.

Lastly - lots of people's work on here has some amazing floor types - tiled etc. I don't really have much of a range even with the add-ons mentioned.

Thanks again and in advance!

J
    There are a lot of tiled floor designs available in Bogie's Mapping Objects - Bitmaps\Tiles\Bogie\City and Dungeon. Nearly 100 of them I think - along with wooden floors, brick walls, tarmac, grass, sand and cliff textures. Its a pretty big folder, so you might have missed them if you didn't scroll down to have a look and see anything else beyond the asphalt and brick textures.

I don't have any of the other collections on my system, so I wouldn't know if there is another vast store of them anywhere else. I suspect there will be, since CSUAC and Dundjinni collections are pretty vast.
  • Interesting. I will take another good look over it. I only seem to have a handful of tile options from Bogie. Very possibly I have not loaded them in correctly.

Thanks for the tip!

J
    I've just checked. They go all the way from Tile 16 to Tile 99, which is 83 tile patterns. There are also many 'floor' fills other than tiles.
  • Hmmmmmm right I have found those in bitmap styles. I can get them into a drawing if I draw a room and choose the tile# as a fill type. However, in most cases the scale/number of the tiles seems to change as I zoom in and out of the drawing! So at fairly zoomed out you get the little image in the attached jpeg, then zoomed in two stops you get the lower image! Any thoughts on why?
    TILE.png 547.5K
    That's because the fill isn't scaled. It will appear at exactly the same scale no matter how close or far you zoom in and out of the map.

Click the box where it says "FS:..." at the top on the right of the screen, then select the bitmap fills tab and then choose the fill you are using for that floor from the dropdown box. You will see that there is a 'scaled' tick box, which I suspect is not ticked in your case. You need to tick that box and type in identical x and y values for the scale. Try 20, or 50 to start with and see what you get when you click ok, as the fill will adjust itself to the new fixed scale values you have just entered.

You won't get it right first time just by guessing, but the first guess will give you a benchmark to start with. All you need to do then is work out how many times smaller or larger you want the tiles to be (roughly) and repeat the process, adjusting the x and y values accordingly. Halving the values will halve the size of the tiles. Doubling the values will double the size of the tiles.

(Let me know if I'm talking a load of nonsense. I'm not always great at instructions ;) )
  • nope that not only solves it but makes SO much sense of all the various fill types! I was looking through them a while back and just could not work out what on earth they would be any use for - large scale maps or something. Now they are actually useful! Brilliant.

Thanks for the help!

(I think that's more excitement than a person should probably get from tiles).

J
    You're welcome :)

And everyone is entitled to at least one little distraction in their lives ;)