Install Order

Excuse the probably simple question, but I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Do I install CC3 and then CC3+ or can I just install CC3+? Does CC3+ Benefit from CC3 being installed?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    CC3 and CC3+ are completely independent, so order doesn't matter.

You can install CC3+ only, unless you own one of the old add-ons/annuals that haven't been updated to work with CC3+ yet, in which case it can be beneficial to have both.
  • As Monsen said, but also keep in mind that for CC3 it does have a recommended install order for symbol set expansions , etc. The Help section has info on this.

You always want to run the latest update after you install everything.

The old CC2 and AD&D 2.0 Core rules and FR Atlas did require you to have CC2 installed first before installing them or certain things wouldn't install. FR Atlas required CC2 and Core rules 2.0 to be installed first.
  • Posted By: Jay_NOLA[snip]
    The old CC2 and AD&D 2.0 Core rules and FR Atlas did require you to have CC2 installed first before installing them or certain things wouldn't install. FR Atlas required CC2 and Core rules 2.0 to be installed first.
    One thing that wont install unless you install CC2 first, are the FR Atlas symbols.
  • The same ame thing with the new symbols in the Core 2.0 rules and expansion. CC2 need to be installed first.
  • Man I always wanted those. I kick myself so much for not getting those. I was a teen so the cost of them was quite a bit of money at the time.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2016
    Posted By: Jay_NOLAThe old CC2 and AD&D 2.0 Core rules and FR Atlas did require you to have CC2 installed first before installing them or certain things wouldn't install. FR Atlas required CC2 and Core rules 2.0 to be installed first.
    Aha! I've been looking for the vector city block geomorph symbols that I know I have, and now I realize they're probably from the FR Atlas. Excellent. Thanks for jogging the ol' memory unit.
  • You might check ebay. Sometimes a reasonably priced FR Atlas CD comes up for sale. Thats how I got mine. There are scammers on ebay, so be careful.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited November 2016
    They show up on Amazon, too, where there's realistic recourse if it doesn't get shipped. There's one right now for about $40.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002EIWT/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used
  • Are they the ones labelled Volo 5260 to 5311? (vector city blocks from Waterdeep)? I also have some other more generic ones in CC3 format if anyone is interested. I could post them here.
  • I have the Lankhmar Geomorphs.
    We are currently playing part of our campaign there.

It is also a project I have always wanted to complete. I have done a few versions of the city and am trying to figure out how best to do it to completion.
    edited November 2016
    Thanks. I have Core 2 and the FR Atlas, but I don't have either installed right now and it hadn't occurred to me that that was why I couldn't find the geomorph symbols. I also have the Lankhmar geomorphs, but those are paper. I didn't realize (or I forgot) there were CC2 versions!
    Posted By: qwalkerAre they the ones labelled Volo 5260 to 5311?
    If they're labeled that, that's awesome.
  • Nopoe the geomorphs are the square ones which were designed to give the Lankhmar map variety by having variable interchangeable pieces. I do believe those geomorphs were user created. I have never found a Lankhmar map other than the ones I have been making.

All of those volo maps (5260-5311) are for the city of Waterdeep. Volo was a forgotten realms character who roamed the realms. Two different settings.
    edited November 2016
    Posted By: cobra mustangthe geomorphs are the square ones which were designed to give the Lankhmar map variety by having variable interchangeable pieces.
    Yep. I have the original Lankhmar: City Of Adventure supplement. It's awesome.
    Posted By: cobra mustangAll of those volo maps (5260-5311) are for the city of Waterdeep. Volo was a forgotten realms character who roamed the realms.
    Right, that's why it's awesome if the maps are named that.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: DogtagRight, that's why it's awesome if the maps are named that.
    The maps are named like that because they are from "Volo's Guide To Waterdeep". All the maps in the FR Atlas was physical maps converted to CC2 format, so I guess since these city streets maps doesn't have a proper "place name", grabbing the product name made sense.
  • Core 2.0 had a new symbols set and the 2.0 Core Rule Expansion had another new set. FR Atlas had new ones as well.

Biggest problem with Core 2.0 & Expansions and FR Atlas is getting them to install and finding all the patch files for them.

You had to get one of the Core rules patches from the Profantasy site for the mapper they did. All the other patches and additions had to be gotten from another site which is now dead. So you ended up installing about 3 patches on a new install, plus they had a lot of bonus downloads to add new creatures, etc.

Same problem exist with FR Atlas patches you had 3 patches to install in order as they added in over 100 maps and the site page or the patch downloads doesn't exist anymore. The ProFantasy site does have the CC3 comparability download.

Took me a good be of time to find mirrors and working wayback links to them and some people had trouble getting the patch files to install on various versions of windows.

You also need to run as an Admin in XP comparability to mode to run and install them so they work properly too.

One thing that was really cool about the Core rules 2.0 is that you could have your CC2 or CC3 set up with links that would pull up Core rules encounter data you made and linked too.

One other problem is the FR Atlas font's often don't install correctly and even if installed correctly don't work because of changes Microsoft made to font metadata and how latter versions of Windows handles fonts. (I've covered this in good detail in several other posts and pointed out the exact FR Atlas fonts that have problems and how to fix them when an easy fix was available.)

Speaking of FR Atlas maps the ProFantasy Map Library has 2 of the FR maps for download and you can also download a map of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep (3590) that was made for the Atlas and wasn't included in the Atlas because of redraw time of it in the library too.

Anyway, if you get FR Atlas or the Core Rules 2.0 or Expansion and have trouble finding all the pacthes or need install help on them just post in the form. I've helped troble shoot the install and patching problems for them

Finally, if your thing that CC2 style isn't going to look good. One of the new Annuals in 2017 is going to focus on converting CC2 maps to CC3+ ones.