Battle Tiles

So long ago I made my own Hex Battle Tiles and I have no idea how I created them, it's been over three years and my memory these days is more like a sive than a bucket. I need to make a new set that are smaller for a physical item I'm making. Now I thought I had a conversation with someone one how to make my original one but I can't seem to locate it so it may have been in some kind of private message or something.

So how do I go about making a Battle Tile the same size as the image attached. Including getting the snaps right.

Cheers

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    First of all, CC3 specifies the hex grid using the height of the hexes, meaning you will have to use the ugly 86.6 and 21.7 values instead of the nicer 100/25

1. Create a new map slightly larger than the large hex (110x90 works)
    2. Draw -> Hex or Square overlay: Horizontal hex, grid spacing 86.6 (I recommend calculating this value to a few more decimals for better precision). Click Apply
    3. Draw -> Hex or Square overlay: Horizontal hex, grid spacing 21.6. Make sure set snap grid is checked, and appropriate snap options are set. Instead of clicking Apply, click Select point. When asked for the first point, enter 0,-10,85 on the command line. The second point can be placed visually.
    4. Unlock groups, and delete the hex grid lines outside the large hex.

Note that I simply used the mm values as map units here. In reality, they make poor map units, but I am unsure about your scale. If for example the 100mm wide equals ten meters, so should probably use meters as the map unit, and therefore simply divide all the values above by 100.
  • Thank you Monsen. I will give it a go.
  • 3 months later
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited March 2017
    1 hex flat to flat = 3 feet

So how do I go about changing that again? Right now it is just over 21'

My biggest problem is I only have time these days to work on things in small bursts then I'm absent from it for months. It's like relearning how to do everything each time. Very frustrating.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I assume 3 feet is the size of the small hex?

If so, follow my instructions from above, but instead of using the value 21.7, use 3 instead. That should make the point I mentioned for the grid be 0,-1.5 instead (The latter value of the coordinate pair is always half the hex height). The large hex should use values 4 times that of the small hex, so that would be 12 instead of 86.6

During print, you should then set the scale 3' = 21.7mm, and it should
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited March 2017
    Okay I tried that but the 3' hex is too small and doesn't fit into the larger hex tile. So I just made a map that is 14x14 made one hex that is spacing 12 and used your 0,-1.5 to nest the inner grid in.

Thank you