Installion quandry

While waiting for support to reply, I thought I would post this error here in case anyone else ran across it. I am unable to install the CD3.
As a reply they sent me to a different patch here is my reply:

This will not work because it needs CD3 installed. CD3 will not install because of the reasons mentioned below. The CD3 installation fails completely on any error. Since this happens, a patch cannot be installed because the CD3 must be installed first.

HERE ARE 2 SCREESHOTS:

http://wdxdesign.com/files/pf.jpg

http://wdxdesign.com/files/f2.jpg

at first glance it looks as though it cannot make any direcotories, yet i run this in admin mode and that should not be a prob.

any one else want to take a stab at that?
Thank you in advance
Kind Regards

Comments

• Well, to begin with, do you have .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 installed? If you have both of these, try installing the latest CC3 patch- which I think is Patch 7. That should update CC3 so that it doesn't have to install Patch 6, which should then bypass the problem there. Although I can't be much help beyond that.
  • Posted By: Stormcaller3801Well, to begin with, do you have .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 installed? If you have both of these, try installing the latest CC3 patch- which I think is Patch 7. That should update CC3 so that it doesn't have to install Patch 6, which should then bypass the problem there. Although I can't be much help beyond that.
    hi thank you for your reply, however, as mentioned before you CANNOT install a patch until the program itself is installed first (i have patch 7 but it will not install because cd3 will not install).
    for those of you who think installing a patch 6 or 7 see the image below - CD 3 IS NOT INSTALLED.

http://wdxdesign.com/files/ccd_patch7_error.jpg

Im trying to find out why CD3 will not install.
    btw - i have NET 3.5

thank you very much for you attempt - it gave me a reason to upgrade from .NET v2 to .NET v3.5
  • Check this page:
    http://www.profantasy.com/service/technical.asp?Q=&ID=68

It says there are several versions of .NET and version 1 is not the same as 2 or 3. So you need 1.1 I think. Version 3.5 is not an upgrade of 1.1!
    You can download version 1.1 from that page as well.
  • edited January 2009
    Posted By: GandwarfCheck this page:
    http://www.profantasy.com/service/technical.asp?Q=&ID=68

It says there are several versions of .NET and version 1 is not the same as 2 or 3. So you need 1.1 I think. Version 3.5 is not an upgrade of 1.1!
    You can download version 1.1 from that page as well.
    Hi thanks for the quick reply - i'll take a look at it
    edit: checked it out - errors out installed v1.1 (actually errors out on all 3 installs)
    Im starting to believe this is a 64bit compatability

CD3 gets to the c:\foldername\bitmap\wooden
    the errors out.

I noticed im getting links from the support of CC3 patch 7 instead of CD3 is CC3 and CD3 the same?
  • What Gandwarf says is accurate about .NET. A program that needs 1.1 will not work if you only have 3.5. you must install whichever version the program that you want to install calls for. So its actually best to install all the versions of .NET then you never go wrong
  • Posted By: gregwrWhat Gandwarf says is accurate about .NET. A program that needs 1.1 will not work if you only have 3.5. you must install whichever version the program that you want to install calls for. So its actually best to install all the versions of .NET then you never go wrong
    Iknow we're focusing pretty heavy on the .NET software - however, wont the program tell you when installing that .NET is missing?
    its getting the directory installtion (registration and other procedures seem to be passing).
  • In the past, I've had a number of errors crop up due to things you wouldn't immediately suspect. I'd suggest making sure you have what you need first, then try to move forward. Worst case, you won't have to worry about missing software later on.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    Posted By: 5evenI noticed im getting links from the support of CC3 patch 7 instead of CD3 is CC3 and CD3 the same?
    No. CC3 is the core product (Campaign Cartographer), while CD 3 is the City Designer Addon for CC3.

From the error message from patch 7, it seems that CC3 is not installed properly (Which MUST be installed BEFORE CD3). You should reinstall CC3, run it once for good measure, then install Patch 7 (and patch 7 only requiers CC3, not CD3, but it will upgrade CD3 as well IF it is installed), then install CD3. I think you need to reinstall patch 7 again at the end, since by following this procedure, CD3 gets installed after the patch, and still needs updating.

It seems like the main problem here is related to your original CC3 install (I assume you did install it), so I don't think this is a .net issue at all.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: 5evenI noticed im getting links from the support of CC3 patch 7 instead of CD3 is CC3 and CD3 the same?
    No. CC3 is the core product (Campaign Cartographer), while CD 3 is theCity DesignerAddon for CC3.

From the error message from patch 7, it seems that CC3 is not installed properly (Which MUST be installed BEFORE CD3). You should reinstall CC3, run it once for good measure, then install Patch 7 (and patch 7 only requiers CC3, not CD3, but it will upgrade CD3 as well IF it is installed), then install CD3. I think you need to reinstall patch 7 again at the end, since by following this procedure, CD3 gets installed after the patch, and still needs updating.

It seems like the main problem here is related to your original CC3 install (I assume you did install it), so I don't think this is a .net issue at all.
    ahhhhh
    thats the prob - i bought CD3 there was no mention (that i remember) that i had to purchase CC3 as well.
    That is prob the whole problem.
    So I need to purchace CC3 first???
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2009
    Yea, you need CC3.

CD3 is only an addon for CC3, as described on the product page. (You can also look at the system requirements (Bottom of page), CC3 is listed there as a requirement). Basically, almost all of ProFantasy's products requires CC3, with some exceptions)

You can use it without CC3, but that means you only get the artwork, which you can use in other programs, but in that case, you don't get any map-making software, only the artwork itself. If this is what you want, you should select the appropriate "Artwork Only" option in the installer when you select components to install. In this case, no patches will be needed at all.