Annual 2 - Star systems symbols

Could anyone post a symbol reference for the star system set in Annual two - I'd really rather not do the buy-refund shuffle if it turns out they're not what I'm looking for.

Much appreciated if someone can help.

What I'm really looking for is a set of symbols that can make system maps that look like the ones generated by Elite: Dangerous, but since those are rendered on the fly I can't just grab images from it without doing a lot of tidy up work.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    Here are the main symbols included (Varicolor versions excluded).

Note that the Cosmographer 3 symbols are quite similar, but there are a greater range of symbols, especially in the star department.
  • edited November 2016
    FYI:

Right now I am working on a complete mapping set - now they are not going to be ready immediately - but they WILL be open (free) to all CC3 and FT3 users. Below are examples of population scaled star sets and some planet symbols - right now I am making the planet icons...

It's a WIP, so I can't give you a completion date yet - but it's chugging along nicely.
  • I was going to suggest naming each of the stars equivalent to actual star classification. But after a bit more research that system would be to convoluted for the program. Stars are based on a letter system which on fist look I thought you were doing. But that system has nothing really to do with how a star looks or it's luminosity. All that is based on so many other factors.

Anyways cool stuff. Can't wait for the final version...and free is a great price I can get behind.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I can almost see the glitter of joy in Jim's eyes when he catches sight of those, Terraformer Creator!

Beautiful :)
  • No glitter, but there is a 'I want those !' kind of look... I can wait.
  • Posted By: cobra mustangI was going to suggest naming each of the stars equivalent to actual star classification. But after a bit more research that system would be to convoluted for the program. Stars are based on a letter system which on fist look I thought you were doing. But that system has nothing really to do with how a star looks or it's luminosity. All that is based on so many other factors.

Anyways cool stuff. Can't wait for the final version...and free is a great price I can get behind.
    Actually, the letters he's using do match the star classification type? Not sure I understand what he means by population scaled though?
  • He has some that I have found no reference to C, J and N. Additionally he does not have D class, which are white dwarf. Not that it is any big thing, it's his project he can name them any way he wants.
    edited November 2016
    C is carbon star (Previously classified as N, according to Wikipedia)
    J is odd, but if you read the full text, it makes sense, and is not really a star at all. But it is not a formal classification.
    N - I don't see that in the images? Only object starting with an N there is the Nuetron star. Wrongly spelled, but used the whole name, not a classification letter
  • edited November 2016
    Posted By: MonsenC is carbon star (Previously classified as N, according to Wikipedia)
    J is odd, but if you read the full text, it makes sense, and is not really a star at all. But it is not a formal classification.
    N - I don't see that in the images? Only object starting with an N there is the Nuetron star. Wrongly spelled, but used the whole name, not a classification letter
    "J" represents cool Jovian Class objects - technically Jupiter is an extremely cool (warm - not hot), unfired brown sub-dwarf - as it did not apparently has enough mass to initiated fusion. Jupiter does, however, produce it's own thermal heat - but it is so low that the light that it emits is barely visible in the IR range.

To Monsen: Yes - I am mildly dyslexic AND stuck in a time when grammatical conventions were a little different (which is why I often spell the color Gray as "g-r-E-y" as opposed to "g-r-A-y"), I sometimes get things mixed up in words using UE, and UA in them also because of my mild dyslexia. HOWEVER - YEEESSSS - I do just out and out misspell words from time to time with no handy excuses, lol.

I've covered O, B, A, F, G, K, M, L, T, Y, C, S, J, and W classes - which are all of the MAJOR spectral types - but there is actually a multitude of exotic flavors of each category which makes classification difficult - which is why there are several different methods of stellar classification. "Population" is a classification of stars that determine their place on the HR diagram (Hertzsprung - Russel). Pop 0 stars are short lived hyper-giants,Pop 1a through Pop 2 are Super-giants. Pop 3 are typical giants. Pop 4 are sub-giants (or "nominals"). Pop 5 are dwarfs. Pop 6 are sub-dwarfs. Pop 7 are massive sub-dwarfs (White dwarfs, Nuetrons, qausars, pulsars, etc...)...

P.S. - I have also included "W" class - or "Wolf - Rayet" stars - because they are an exotic form of blue to blue white stars technically belonging to the "O" and "B" classes - but have very odd spectral emission lines showing chemicals not present in typical blue star types... "W" class stars are typically giants and supergiants...
  • That is cool that you did follow classification of the stars. I read up on the life cycle of stars a long time ago and recalled about the class system but am no expert by any means.
    Thanks for getting our learn on!
    edited November 2016
    Posted By: Terraformer_Creator"Population" is a classification of stars that determine their place on the HR diagram (Hertzsprung - Russel)
    Interesting. I am used to luminosity classes myself (I, Ia, Ib, II, III, IV, V, etc), which basically say the same thing.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    If you want to add thingies in...

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/

star types on same site

And the Weird Astronomy page on Project RHO

Edit:

Almost forgot, the menu system for Project RHO/Atomic Rockets is at the bottom of each page. Lots of useful info on that site.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: Terraformer_Creator"Population" is a classification of stars that determine their place on the HR diagram (Hertzsprung - Russel)
    Interesting. I am used to luminosity classes myself (I, Ia, Ib, II, III, IV, V, etc), which basically say the same thing.
    There are types and luminosity of each type. The 'star types' page I linked to above shows that.