World Map, Take Two

Alright, I've had a similar thread on an overworld in the past but its been awhile and now I've actually gotten something drawn up. I've got the basic shape though I need to check and make sure I've got everything inside it I want.
What I hope to get input on right now is:
1) Constructive criticism
2) A better way to lay out details (Mountains, woodlands, etc.)
3) What I'm missing, there's a lot of empty space in the map. The map is supposed to be a world map so I know details are meant to be general but I still see a lot of empty space I'd like to fill.
4) Is this scale about right for an overworld? I beleive I made it 10,000 by 8,000 and its given me a lot of space to work with, perhaps even close to to much.
5) Anything I didn't think to ask?

Comments

• I am far from a pro but here are a few thoughts.
    Use many varied symbols for mountains. There are so many and they can really liven up a mountain range.
    Same goes with trees.
    When you add in some random symbols that don't make sense it really adds character to the world. Like a Volcano in a mountain range, some dead trees in a forest. Let the symbols add some magic for you.

I add in polygons filled with colour to serve as climate regions. IE yellow for desert and purple for swamp.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's a good start Alirode :)

Adding to what cobra mustang said about adding polygons of colour, you can also add polygons filled with textures that indicate desert, grassland, farmland, swamp and forests. If you use a drawing tool to add them you can trace the coastline as part of each polygon, so that you can accurately fill an area of farmland (for example) right up to the coast if you want to. When you add texture polygons, however, you might want to read up a bit on Sheet Effects, since they look much better with an Edge Fade Inner effect on them to blend them more naturally together like they would be in the real world.

The other thing I noticed straight away, is that if this is a world map, there don't really seem to be all that many rivers. You may want to add quite a few more than there are, or this world would surely be a desert. You will find that increasing the number of rivers significantly reduces the open space feeling about the map straight away ;)
  • I have played with CC2 for a dozen years or more, but only recently upgraded to CC3. But have been playing with Fractal Terrain. I did read some of the tome of ultimate mapping and saw some of the amazing things CC3+ can do, including the fades and some of the new fills.
    Can't wait to start playing with that and update some of my old projects.

I enjoy the people on this forum and the projects they are doing.
    You can do fades in CC3 as well. In fact most of the Tome section about CC3 is about CC3, not CC3+. That's why its currently being updated. Have a play and see :)

You're right about the forum. I love this place :D
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    The latest version of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping was written for CC3 and the add-on versions available at the time, before CC3+ was developed. Changes from CC3 to CC3+ were mostly behind-the-scenes code improvements and button redesigns, with a few other changes and tweaks, but everything in the Tome related to CC3 is applicable to CC3+.
    edited November 2016
    Also, to echo Loopysue's comment about rivers. Major rivers will not only help fill in areas of your map, they will also help you determine the climates and terrain for the map. Areas around rivers tend to be green, either forests, grasslands, or in smaller, regional maps, possible farmland. Also, rivers are a major resource that attracts settlements (and other life) so they will help you plan where to put your villages, towns, and cities.

After you make your world map and start focusing on more regional maps, the major rivers will help you place smaller rivers not visible on the world map. Many smaller rivers flow to the sea, to lakes, or to the major rivers (one of the reasons they're major rivers to begin with).

Also, on that topic, maybe add some major lakes, if your world has them. They can help you map for much of the same reasons as rivers.

So far, so good!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Since you've asked for a better way to lay out mountains I decided a short tutorial might be helpful. :)

Shessar's Overland Mountain Tutorial
  • I have been using the vari-color trees to make an undead forest, a small forest of trees that are white instead of green, etc.

Ghost cactus... they look like ghosts of cacti; however, if a character moves their hand through them... they feel nothing, but spines show up in the hand and arm the next day.

Yalk Trees, a white tree that is a scourge from another dimension. These trees are a pale gray; leaves, limbs, trunk. No other vegetation can grow near a Yalk tree. Somehow these trees cause timber buildings to crumble up to 5 miles away.
  • 9 days later
  • edited November 2016
    Yey Got some work in on it! I've gotten great help from you folks so far so thanks a lot! Its still work in progress but I'm happy with the progress. Thoughts anyone?
  • On the upper bitmap fill, make it active in the bitmap fill selector, and uncheck 'scaled'. and that square pattern should go away.
    edited November 2016
    Great improvement :)

Jim's solution should solve the repeating pattern in that texture fill (called 'redundancy'). An alternative action is to increase the existing scale by a factor of at least 10 :)
  • edited November 2016
    When I've tried that unchecked 'scaled' options I find that it just makes an enormous patch of swamp grass when I draw it. Is that what I SHOULD expect?
    I think I follow the reason for the suggestion, its to make sure that the terrain is distinguishable right?
    Unchecking the scale means that the bitmap representing the fill appears the same size no matter how close or far out you zoom. If you want to fix it at a set size compared to your land and mountains, re-check the box but vastly increase the x and y values so that the repeating pattern it creates is less noticeable - ie, if you increase the x and y scales the texture will be larger on the map. In the image above the pattern is so very tiny in scale that the entire area seems to be filled with little green scales, rather than marsh texture. As a guide to what kind of scale you might be aiming for, you could look at the scale of your land fill which seems to have a more reasonable scale to it.
  • 2 months later
  • edited February 2017
    Alright, I know its been awhile but I'm piddling around with the map again. I'm trying to tinker with the scale .
  • 10 days later
  • Alright, I've found time to do a bit more! This part isn't totally finished but I'd like to ask if anyone knows how I can crop away all but one bit of nation and keep all the important layers while I do.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There are multiple ways to crop things
    - Use the edit functionality of the drawing tools and subtract the parts you don't want
    - Use Cut and Break on the polygons, removing the parts you don't want, and join the rest back together with Path to Poly
    - Use the trace functionality of the drawing tools to trace the area you want, then delete the original entity.
  • The text is okay, but I would find it easier to read if it was a few shades darker. Particularly on the lower island area. Arnkuha ?
  • Right! Thanks Monsen.

JimP-Alright, I'll make it a few shades darker. Do you think that color I'm using for the nation's borders should work? That dark red?
    Personally, I'd recommend making the text lighter and giving it a small black glow. A strong (but small) glow is essentially an outline. Light text with a black outline can be read against any color.
  • edited February 2017
    Alright, I'm changing things up and it does look better, I'm also moving texts to not overlap with land features. One problem right now is that its all cluttered together with other things so I'm trying to sift through features on the map to get to my text! I had another problem with not seeing the effects I put on the sheet but that seems to have cleared up, I don't know why and that bothers me but at least it looks better.
    Additionally I've added some lines next to the islands over Arthen (NW corner) and want those yellow lines leading from the island names to the islands themselves less...fat I guess.
  • This is looking better and better Alirode! I love how you did the lakes!
  • Now I can read it. Thanks !