Ruler

Why does CC3+ not have a show ruler button.....right not it would come in handy making my new battle maps....I don't like the coordinate numbers...not really friendly to me.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2016
    CC3+ uses a drawing grid to help with distances. The drawing grid is displayed as dots on your screen and is not part of the map, as opposed to a hex or square grid overlay which is an entity on the map. You can set both the drawing grid and the hex/square grid overlay to any distance you would like, and you can make your cursor snap to the corners and/or centers of the grid. You can also add the grid without any coordinate numbers.

As a rule, I don't add the grid using the New Drawing Wizard. I add it after I've opened my map by selecting Draw>Hex or Square Overlay from the menu. I find I have greater control of the settings that way.

Additionally, there is a Tracking Indicator in the upper left-hand corner of the interface, just below the menu. It can tell you all kinds of information about the location of your cursor and, if desired, the distance you move the cursor between clicks. Click Help>Help from the menu bar to open the online help. Then click the Search tab and search for Tracking. Open the Tracking topic to learn more about the different modes of the tracking indicator and how it can help you measure distance. Personally (and this is just a preference) if I need to know distance in real time, I use the Polar mode.

I hope that helps,
    ~Dogtag
  • I am making a 2 x 2 modular battle map. the problem is i go to Draw>Hex or Square Overlay and I choose square with 1.00000 grid spacing. it draws squares 10 x 10 with dots in between....I finish up the tile and print it at 1.25" = 5' ....now the problem...it prints each little square all 10 x 10 instead of a 2 x 2 square....and prints it out massive....with the grid overlay set to 5.000 grid spacing it prints correct size but does not give me the little dots i need to make a 1/4 inch wall....trying to make the 2.5d modular tile set favored on youtube.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am a bit confused by your explanation, since printing size isn't determined by grid size, that is only determined by the map size and the scaling factor you enter in the print dialog.
    Generally, if things prints too large whit the scaling set properly, it is usually an indication that your initial map size was too large.
    Anyway, whatever the size of your drawing, you can print it out in exactly the size you need by manipulating the scale in the print dialog. If things comes out 4 times the desired size, simply print at 1/4 the scale.

As for the 'little dots', they are the drawing grid, and can be changed to whatever intervals you desire by right-clicking the Grid button in the lower right corner, and either manipulate the active setting, or create a new one.