Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorjackypaper
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008

Though this may be backward, I'm creating the city map first, then deciding on its population, demographics, leadership, et cetera. I wanted the look of the map to guide me in that part of the creative process. When I'm finished, I'm going to have a very large late medieval-fantasy city, which is all well and good, except I have no way of guessing how many folk might comfortably live in a place this size. 5000? 50,000?

What is the best rule of thumb, based on the number of homes, to estimate the total population? Three or four individuals per household multiplied by the total number of houses? Or should I just not worry about it and pick a number that feels right?
    In a modern city, it'd be about 2.5 people per home, but the further back you go the more cramped it's likely to be, to a degree. Families were larger, and there was no social care- you took care of your elders and your children were there not only to help you make a living, but to support you when you got older. But you also have higher death rates. So I'd say if you were to do something like six to eight people per household, you're likely getting a decent estimate.
    • CommentAuthorLM Rye
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008

Of course, if it is an eastern city the numbers may be higher, perhaps 10-12 people per household.
    Wow. Guess this city is more densely populated than I anticipated.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    • CommentAuthorgregwr
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited

Here is a good source
    Medieval Demographics
    and another
    Online Population Generator