Mis? Behaving Hill Symbols

Started a new map yesterday, following the steps (mostly) in the first map tutorial in the CC3+ user manual, but doing different geography.

So, did a bunch of work yesterday. When I open the map today to continue placing my hill symbols, They don't behave the same way. They are different sizes and some of them have different fill colors. See image, on the top right you can see the mountains and hills I did yesterday, in the main part of the image you can see what happens when I try to place hills today. Some come in like yesterdays, some are larger (even though it indicates scale is the same (.175) and the fill color is different. I'm using the "Hill 1" random symbol family.

I can reproduce this with the following steps:
- Open CC3+ (loads map automatically)
- select Minerals/Mountains to get proper symbol catalog
- select Hill 1 and start to place symbols, can use tab to toggle to other random hills.

Using CC3+ v3.75

Thanks

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't know about the different scale thing, but I've had a problem with varicoloured symbols changing between sessions because I had in the first instance altered the palette to get just the right colour, but on opening again the colour changed back to whatever it was in the default palette before the modification.

Nowadays I save my palette just before closing, and then reopen custom palette as soon as I open the file again to restore the colours I so carefully modified the first time around.

This may be what the colour problem is, but only if you modified the colours in the first place.
  • Nope, made no changes to the palette before or after starting the new map. In fact I've done very very little since loading CC3+ (Came from CC2 V6). Just started a brand new map, per the tutorial instructions (same settings except size) and have been drawing different geography.

I did see this post, maybe they are related? http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6578&page=1#pgtop (But, again, this is a brand new map, never even had CC3 installed on this computer)
  • Oh, how would I change the vari color fill color (just activate a different color from the color column?)? And how would I determine what color the existing hills use?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yes, varicolor symbols use the currently-selected color when being placed. Once you've placed a varicolor symbol, however, it will remain the color it was when placed. Existing varicolor symbols on the map do not change once placed.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    This doesn't look like a varicolor issue though, but rather a symbol style difference. The symbols at the top left are CC3 standard overland symbols, while the other hills are Mike Schley Overland symbols.
    You can switch between symbol styles by clicking the symbol style toggle button in the left toolbar. Right click it for a list of options.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    Ok. I will try to answer the colour questions, since I have no idea what's wrong with the scale (unless you scaled the symbols and moved away from the default setting for the map - the map reverting to the default setting each time you open it)

Yes - changing the varicolour fill colour is just a simple case of changing the colour at the top of the screen by clicking on it, or one of the colours in the toolbar palette. I think you can change the properties of existing varicolour symbols using the change properties button - the paint pot button. If you want to do more than one at a time use the topmost paintpot and select them all at once.

EIDT: Oops! Sorry Remy... and Dogtag :)

My bad!
  • Posted By: MonsenThis doesn't look like a varicolor issue though, but rather a symbol style difference. The symbols at the top left are CC3 standard overland symbols, while the other hills are Mike Schley Overland symbols.
    You can switch between symbol styles by clicking the symbol style toggle button in the left toolbar. Right click it for a list of options.
    This sounds promising, but I can't find the icon you are referring to. Do you mean the "Default Terrain" icon that opens this;

Also, why would that change on it's own? And it looks like it's still set correctly...

(Oh, and thanks for everyone helping out!)
  • If it helps, here's the fcw file.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, it would be the button two steps below, the one with the trees and the arrows.

Anyway, your map is a Mike Schley map, so the symbols you get now is the correct ones for this style. Unfortunately, it looks like you for some reason had the wrong symbol catalog open yesterday, which caused you to place hills/mountains from the standard overland style instead of the Mike Schley style you were supposed to. If you wish to continue with the wrong symbols (Since you already placed a good deal of them), you can use the symbol style toggle button to toggle your symbols to the standard overland ones.
  • I know that with multiple style downloads from the Annuals, I still get symbols that load from the other styles for some of them.
    It had something to do with the company using the same file name in multiple styles.
    May be the same problem.
    The advise that I was given was to create a custom symbol catalog.
    I never got around to going through that endeavor, but I believe it was Monsen that suggested it (Apologies if I got the wrong person).
    I have just been dealing with it.