Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016

Hi folks! As you can read on the blog here, I'll be away for a while, traveling to the other side of our beautiful blue marble. I'll generally be in email contact with people and might even check in here once in a while, but don't be surprised when I'm silent for longer stretches of time. I trust you'll keep the great maps coming! I'm looking forward to seeing them all when I get back next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Enjoy your trip. You should be a bit careful if you try to follow that map you've posted on the blog though, I've heard that it might be slightly inaccurate in places, we don't want you wandering off the end of the continent by mistake :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Next year! Wow!

That sounds like an adventure and a half! You'll be drawing maps of Lord of the Ring's film locations. Lucky you!

Have a great time :)

And mind you don't fly straight past New Zealand. I don't think its quite as big as it looks on that map you've got there ;)

Thank you Simon, Mark and Dogtag for making this possible :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Wow. Well, have fun and good luck !
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Enjoy your travels!
      Travel.PNG
    • CommentAuthorMappy

I commend you on your choice of destination! New Zealand is a great place. I should know, I live there :) If you are near Christchurch and feel like a bbq, send me a whisper. I know a butcher who makes great sausages and we have nearly finished a deck extension at home so can have a beer on the deck :)

If you are into beer, try anything from the Renaissance brewery. Don't know what they put in their beer but its all amazing.

Otherwise, have a great trip. I'm sure you have your itinerary planned already, but if you are in the south island, make sure you check out the West Coast and/or Fiordland. Great boat cruises in Milford or Doubtful sounds in Fiordland. Almost better on a rainy day as you get lots of temporary waterfalls.

Watch out for snakes etc in Australia. Everything there wants to bite you :)

Have a great trip and I'm serious about the bbq!

cheers
    Mike
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Enjoy!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Have a blast in Australia and Middle Earth, Ralf! Don't pick up any stray rings.

~Dogtag
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Drop down to Tasmania on your trip. We are on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait, and if you feel up to it, we can put you up for a while. The island is a very beautiful place. Have a great trip, from a Southern Hemispherian born and bred.
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016

Enjoy your trip Ralf. Also, aside from LOTR inspiration you my get some inspiration for some faux Greek styl maps considering where the Hercules & Xena TV shows were filmed.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016

Enjoy your trip, Ralf. You've earned it! (And watch out for those giant insects in Australia! http://australian-insects.com/biggest.php )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

Aww how envious you make me feel right now... Enjoy it! :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I'll be gone to, but just until Sunday or Monday. And Sue, keep up the good work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

And the very venomous snakes, the poisonous spiders (especially the funnel web and red back spiders), the deadly octopi, and the killer drop bears. (PS: I am an Aussie)
    Wow, Ralf! i'm jealous already!!! Have a great trip!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017 edited

And here I am back again! Thanks everybody fro the great well-wishing. I had a really amazing trip, which really recharged my batteries. Here are some impressions from the landscapes I was able to enjoy:
    Hobbiton Movie Set
    Tongariro Alpine Crossing
    Abel Tasman National Park
    Lake Wanaka and Mt Roy
    Doubtful Sound

I see you've been very busy. I love the community world project and everyone's maps are amazing as usual. :)

@Quenten: I was on Tasmania (walked the Overland Track), but didn't make it to Flinders Island, alas! Guess I have to come back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017

Welcome back Ralf. Glad you enjoyed down under.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Welcome back! Amazing photos....looks like the trip of a lifetime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio

Heh you even posed on some pics... great news Ralf, we love you enjoyed it. There is nothing better than travelling. Nothing. Welcome back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

What wonderful photos - you are absolutely great photographer.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Welcome home!

We've missed having you around :D

And we are dying to see the maps that will follow... ;)
    Welcome back! :-)
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Welcome back. Those photos have succeeded: they've made me green with envy. :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Howdy and Welcome back to the Circus !
    • CommentAuthorJay_NOLA

Welcome back Ralf. Love the photos.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Glad to see that you've returned safe and refreshed Ralf. The photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us. :)
    • CommentAuthortaustinoc
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017

The photos almost make me wish I'd gone there instead of Iceland. Almost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited

If you want to check out my itineraries and a few notes about the trip, I've done a blog post here.
    • CommentAuthorJMunsonII
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

Beautiful photos and a great 'adventure' Ralf. :D
    • CommentAuthordudeslife
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

Whoa I thought this was a new post!

Am I a horrible person for being scared that this trip would delay update of Annual #5? :)

Glad you had a great trip!