Map size restrictions

Can anyone tell me if the map size is restricted?
I'm trying to create a world map W25,000 H14,411.
Also, when trying to create a land mass that is very large, the "Land Mass" tool stops tracking the clicks and iI end up with only a small part of the land mass actually drawn.....

I'm using CC3+

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    For all practical purposes, the map size is unrestricted.

As for the problem with creating land masses, there are two things to consider
    - Do you have any entities on the MAP BORDER layer. Most drawing tools are designed to stop at the map border, and errant entities on this layer in the middle of your map will cause the drawing tool to think it has reached the edge. This layer should generally just consist of a few entities at the actual border of the map, nothing else.
    - If there are no problematic entities on the MAP BORDER layer, how many times to you click when placing your landmass. Generally, because of limitations in the underlying operating system, it is not recommended to have entities with more than 10000 nodes, although I am unsure of the actual max limit (fractalize command seems to refuse to go beyond ~20000 though). The landmass tools are fractals, and with the default setting of the landmass tool for the CC3 default overland style, each click means 16 nodes placed. The actual size isn't a problem, but the number of nodes can be.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Sorry to butt in here, but I just suddenly thought - is it possible to cut a continent in two if you need to make one that is 20000 nodes, or into three for 30000 nodes, and so on?
    In theory, yes, but if you use a bitmap fill, you would see the seam, since it is two different entities, and not all effects would work properly (depends on the effect)
    Bu the bottom line is, you shouldn't make a continent that detailed. While it is tempting, because of CC3's zoom functionality, to make a map that is so detailed that the coastline will look good almost no matter how far you zoom in, it is not recommended to do that. Instead, you should make a coastline that looks good on when viewing the full map, and at reasonable zoom levels (2x, 4x or thereabout), and rather make separate detailed local maps of the areas you want to have further details on. This also generally prevent maps from looking too messy on zoomed out view, because you don't get tempted to place too many detailed features.
  • yes, I just downloaded it last night and that happens to be the one Ive been exporting it as. I just hid them, so I guess they are on the right layers. they just don't look as nice as they do when you draw them... meaning there's no shadow to them at all....

Oh well.

Thanks.
    FT3 exports doesn't come with effects, and the map style is a bit simpler than the more elaborate raster styles found in CC3(+). But you can change the style of the landmasses exported from FT3 afterwards in CC3+.
    I usually don't use the FT3 exports directly myself, I usually just export a coastline only export, then import this into a CC3(+) map of the appropriate style, then change the style of the landmass to match the map style via the 'Change as drawtool' command found by right clicking change properties.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I also usually only use the coastline myself. FT generates far more believable coastlines than I ever could without it :)
  • I am a bit different. I export pngs from FT3, import that into a map template in CC3(+), and then use that as a guide to make islands or continents. Then delete the imported png once I am done. I create a bmp layer to import the png or bmp into first.