Possible to trace over old D&D monochrome maps to create CC3+ version map?

Is there a technique or is it possible to trace over old D&D monochrome maps to create CC3+ version map? Can we set the old mono map as a background and draw over it? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Yes, create a bmp layer, just import as bmp or png into that layer. And use it as a guide. After you are done, delete the bmp layer.

Just do a search in here for trace
  • You can hide and show the bmp layer to check your progress.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One helpful thing if you wish to replicate details on the map, and not simply trace the coastline is to put the old map image on a sheet that appears on top of everything else, then use a strong transparency effect on it. This way, what you draw won't obstruct your guide (And since it is transparent, it allows you to see what you are working on too)
  • Ah, never thought of making it transparent.
  • 4 months later
  • Posted By: JimPYes, create a bmp layer, just import as bmp or png into that layer. And use it as a guide. After you are done, delete the bmp layer.

Just do a search in here for trace
    Posted By: MonsenOne helpful thing if you wish to replicate details on the map, and not simply trace the coastline is to put the old map image on a sheet that appears on top of everything else, then use a strong transparency effect on it. This way, what you draw won't obstruct your guide (And since it is transparent, it allows you to see what you are working on too)
    I have searched here and I bought the Tome of UM but I cannot find how to import a png layer or create a new layer and import a png.. can you guys point me to a specific place to read up on this? Perhaps this process is called something else in ToUM? Thanks for any info..
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You'll want to use a sheet, not a layer (well, maybe a layer too, but it is good to have it on it's own sheet.) For the record, layers are made by clicking on the layer indicator in the status bar, and hitting 'New' in the dialog.
    Then simply Draw -> Insert file
  • Posted By: MonsenYou'll want to use a sheet, not a layer (well, maybe a layer too, but it is good to have it on it's own sheet.) For the record, layers are made by clicking on the layer indicator in the status bar, and hitting 'New' in the dialog.
    Then simply Draw -> Insert file
    whoa.. I feel like I just blocked my first blaster bolt with a lightsaber.. this is cool. Thanks again Monsen. You are my Siri :)
  • Can you use the method described in 2017 Annual, no 2 (Wizard's Tower)