Problems with resolution

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

I still can't get CC3+ to give me more than VL resolution on any fill.

Because I've got so much to do right now and can't afford to down tools and just stop what I'm doing, I'm temporarily putting everything that isn't VH res in a separate folder (not deleting them but getting them out of the way - to force the use of VH res - to give CC3+ no choice in the matter)

I did everything right - installed as administrator - and I've done all the latest updates.

Can anyone please tell me what this low res thing is about, and how to kill it?

Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    Have you tried manually forcing the resolution (Display Speed Settings in left toolbars -> Fixed bitmap quality-> Very high)?
    You can also click the fill style resolution button and halve all the values in there instead.

(Clear the bitmap cache, then do a reload after changing these values)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I've already tried that, Remy, but CC3 just crashes on me before I get as far as "ok", which means I can't even get as far as clearing any cache.

I'm going to try creating a brand new file. If it works I'll just have to copy and paste everything and re-set up all the sheet effects etc.
    New file works ok.

the old one must be corrupted some way.

I'll try copying everything across.

May be some time.
    Thanks Remy :)

Don't know what was wrong with the file, but everything seems to be ok now. I've done what you suggested and it didn't crash - the new file that is. The old one still doesn't work, but I've got the stuff out of it now.
    I've got no drawing tools, but that's not a problem for me. I'll look into that over the next few days, but not right now.
    At random moments clicking anything at all causes the whole program to go into a kind of flickering frozen fit, and then it won't crash. I have to shut it down with Task Manager.

Do you think there might be something wrong with my system?
    I doubt it. I do sometime see something similar with my more complicated maps (city maps mostly), where the program seem to get into a redraw loop, continuasly starting a new redraw immediately upon finishing the first, often lasting for a minute or more, during which time I cannot do anything with the program. I don't know what causes it though.
    I'm going to do the whole uninstall/reinstall thing over again. I must have gotten something in the wrong order somewhere, or forgotten to right click and install just one thing as the administrator.

I really want to try and do a bit more to the Challenge map I'm working on right now first though - get another WIP sorted out this evening. I got really close to the time limit with Gymnopus P, and actually gave myself a few temporary anxiety problems over it all, so I'm trying to finish this one well within the month.

Is it normal for the various install apps to hang for several minutes before carrying on? By that I mean I actually get "(not responding)" in the window title, and it (most usually CC3+ install and update 9) just sits there in that state for nearly 15 minutes before carrying on. That doesn't feel right to me.
  • Maybe try a repair using the CC3+ Update 8 before a un/reinstall ? I don't know if it will fix it, but its faster and worth a try.
    Sorry Remy :)

Its not really a terribly complicated map... At least not against something like Merelan City.
    Posted By: JimPMaybe try a repair using the CC3+ Update 8 before a un/reinstall ? I don't know if it will fix it, but its faster and worth a try.
    Bless you Jim. That's the first thing I tried :)
    And there's an update 9 available now. I downloaded it today.
  • Aw darn it. i was hoping that would fix it. Good luck !
    Thanks Jim :)

@Remy - I'm wondering if I perhaps upset the equilibrium when I installed Perspectives this morning. I seem to remember other people saying that they had a few problems when they did that, but I thought that was all fixed now.

I wasn't having any problems till I noticed the fills were all VL res.
    Posted By: LoopysueIs it normal for the various install apps to hang for several minutes before carrying on? By that I mean I actually get "(not responding)" in the window title, and it (most usually CC3+ install and update 9) just sits there in that state for nearly 15 minutes before carrying on. That doesn't feel right to me.
    If the program at some point in time starts working again, then there is nothing wrong. Not responding usually just means that the program is busy doing something, and that it isn't listening for user input during that time. Of course, not responding may also be a result of a program crash, but as I said above, if it starts working again at some point, this isn't the case.

Of course, the long time taken is worth investigating. Most probably this is due to slow disk access, which could be caused by a slow drive, inefficient anti-virus/malware scanning, a heavily fragmented drive, or, in the worst case, a failing drive.
    LOL

You should have seen my face when I read that last bit! Do you remember the day I thought my drive was going down? Don't want to even consider that possibility right now unless it can't be anything else, or all my hair will fall out... and possibly my teeth as well!

The thing is that CC3+ and its add ons are the only thing playing up. Everything else is normal.

Defragging is automatic and continuous with this laptop, and despite thousands of maps and bits of texture all over the place thanks to the last three months of frenzied mapping activity, I've still only used up not quite over 1/4 of my 500 gig drive.
    Something must have been wrong with my machine, I think.

When I started up this morning I wasn't having any problem at all.

Maybe Windows was in the middle of yet another update? I don't know. I'm getting pretty cross with Microsoft, all things considered. If it wasn't so expensive to jump ship, and such a horrendously steep learning curve, I might consider going MAC instead.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Some times I find that I can hide different sheets and get around a problem. Then recreate only the corrupt sheet.
    Thanks Ken :)

I haven't had any more problems since this morning, but I'll consider that option if I do.