multi scale maps/fratlas

Hi All,

So, I have played around with this idea in CC2/CC3 for some time, but I have no idea how to actually get it to work.
I would like to build up over time a map collection done in the style of the FR Atlas.

I have exported a world from Fractal Terrains to CC3 - this gives me the large map -> smaller maps -> smallest map links

BUT:

The terrain exported doesn't conform to what was developed in Fractal Terrains - essentially the land is all the same with no height/terrain
And - placing symbols on one doesn't place them or indicate anything on the smaller maps. (Makes the fractal terrain -> cc3 export seem rather pointless - did I miss something?).

I could see, I suppose, doing this by hand and using the scale and co-ordinate systems to place the items on the smaller maps - that seems very kludgy and the smaller maps don't seem to have a co-ordinate system to appropriately mesh them into the larger (when you are looking at the smaller maps, you don't have, or at least I couldn't find, a way to tell where you are in the larger map.)

I expect this is a very large question over all. What I really need, I think, is someone to tell me a process that would work. However, maybe I am missing a whole bunch of data?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    First, to address the missing details, make sure you actually use an FT export that adds details, for example the Altitude High Detail setting which will add height contours to the export.

As for editing the maps, the different map levels are not "connected" in any way, you will need to edit each level individually in CC3, the multiple file export is just to export the landmasses in different levels so you can make CC3 maps at different scales easy. The maps are linked with hyperlinks for easy navigation between levels, but that is also the limit of their connection.

To see "where you are" in relation to other maps, I recommend keeping an overview image of the previous level open, the maps generated are really stand-alone maps, and doesn't have any information about other "nearby" maps.

In short, it does seem like you expect something quite different from the multiple level export compared to what it is designed to do, unfortunately.

Personally, I am not too fond of exporting maps using the multiple-level export though. You mention that you wanted to create an FR-atlas like atlas, and one of the interesting things to note there is that most maps only let you "zoom in" to interesting areas, often with a very variable scale, there isn't a fixed set of zoom levels, and not everything is mapped at all at the higher zoom levels. I usually use FT to export a map of a region I am interested in, develop that map in CC3(+), and then go on to extract a piece of an interesting area in that map and make a detail map from that.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: MonsenYou mention that you wanted to create an FR-atlas like atlas, and one of the interesting things to note there is that most maps only let you "zoom in" to interesting areas, often with a very variable scale, there isn't a fixed set of zoom levels, and not everything is mapped at all at the higher zoom levels. I usually use FT to export a map of a region I am interested in, develop that map in CC3(+), and then go on to extract a piece of an interesting area in that map and make a detail map from that.
    Much like Monsen, I don't find that the export multiple files feature (File>>Export Map>>Multiple Files) is terribly useful for generating a specific set of maps. To be able to reproduce a set of various detailed maps, I much prefer the View Management tool (View>>View Window). You can set zoom into an area of interest and the use View>>Add View to add that view of the world to the list (including its zoom level and projection). All of those views can then be exported via a single click of the "Export As CC3" button on the View Management window.

FT doesn't have any direct way to link maps directly except via the File>>Export Map>>Multiple Files feature's "Generate HTML file" feature and that's not exported to the CC3 file. However, it's possible to do the linking fairly quickly and in context using an HTML editor for a web site or in CC3 by adding link elements.

One of the hardest parts about generating a hypertext web sort of atlas is deciding which areas are important and need more detail and then keeping all of the elements synchronized over time. CC3 doesn't have tools to directly support that kind of workflow: it doesn't have a concept that would allow multiple documents to be considered as parts of a single document (that is, you can't place features on one document and have that feature appear on other documents as well). That unfortunately means that if you have 500 maps of the same area, you will need to update 500 maps if you want a change such as adding a town symbol or label.
  • Thanks Monsen.

ok - so I am missing settings options on FT export. That's easy enough. Thanks for your answers on the differences between the cc 2 levels. I had suspected that they didn't work the way I was hoping.

So, a couple of followup questions:

Is there an easy way to set a grid on the overview map so that I can keep track of which piece I am editing in a zoomed in view?
    When you go to "extract a piece of an interesting area in that map and make a detail map from that.", what is your general process?
    Is there a help file/tutorial on setting up the hyperlinks? How do you keep the two different zoom levels matched up (ie, borders/map edges)?
    Is this all trial and error or is there documentation somewhere I can reference?
  • Thanks jslayton.

> One of the hardest parts about generating a hypertext web sort of atlas is deciding which areas are important and need more detail and then keeping all of the elements synchronized over time. CC3 doesn't have tools to directly support that kind of workflow: it doesn't have a concept that would allow multiple documents to be considered as parts of a single document (that is, you can't place features on one document and have that feature appear on other documents as well). That unfortunately means that if you have 500 maps of the same area, you will need to update 500 maps if you want a change such as adding a town symbol or label.

That's a really good point. The maintenance workflow hadn't occurred to me.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: ShingIs there an easy way to set a grid on the overview map so that I can keep track of which piece I am editing in a zoomed in view?
    Yes, In CC3(+), go to draw -> hex or square overlay and define the grid you want (You can also create a grid in FT3 from Map -> Grid settings)
    Posted By: ShingWhen you go to "extract a piece of an interesting area in that map and make a detail map from that.", what is your general process?
    Copy (Clipboard copy) all the relevant entities from the larger map to a smaller map, then either use trace to create new versions that fit inside the map border for all copied entities that extend beyond it (and delete the originals), or use the trim tools to remove the part of the originals sticking out. The basics of this is detailed in the Trace tutorial on page 58 of the CC3+ user manual (I don't recommend reading only this tutorial if you haven't worked through the rest of the manual up to this point however, the procedure requires some familarity with CC3+. If you have the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, there is also a more detailed tutorial in there.
    Posted By: ShingIs there a help file/tutorial on setting up the hyperlinks?
    Hyperlinks are real easy, simply go to Tools -> Hyperlinks -> Link with map, and CC3+ allows you to browse for a map, and define a rectangle that will be the clickable area for the hyperlink. They are discussed in more detail in the Tome however, and there is also an annual on this topic.
    Posted By: ShingHow do you keep the two different zoom levels matched up (ie, borders/map edges)?
    I don't really, because I only create detail maps for interesting areas of the larger map, there isn't anything to line up really. I copied all the entities from the original map, meaning all landmasses and other features are accurately represented, which is what I need.
    Posted By: ShingIs this all trial and error or is there documentation somewhere I can reference?
    The CC3+ help file contains information about almost everything in the program, and the manual contains details and tutorials on most common functions. The Tome goes into much more detail, with more advanced tutorials.
  • That's awesome. Thank you. I will pick up a tome. I haven't gone through the tutorials for a while so need to completely refresh my knowledge of CC. More in depth tutorials would be good, I think.
  • Doing many of the things we do in here, and looking at our tutorials, is good to. Note that my maps are mostly quickly made. I do have a few tutorials on my Crestar site. Joe Sweeny has a number of tutorials on youtube.