Inkarnate tool and maybe a suggestion for future CC3 implements

Greetings all.

Sorry being away some weeks (my daughter Sara was born 15 days ago).

While waiting for her to wake up,someone linked this to me on my Facebook:

www.inkarnate.com

Inkarnate is a program for doing fantasy maps. It´s pretty simple and miles away on quality compared with CC3, of course, but it has a good way of drawing landmass which i liked and considered i could share it with you all so you write your opinions about it.

While in CC3 you need to draw the entire coastline in a time and it´s relatively long to change it (let´s admit it, not all of us know exactly how is our landmass before we start creatign the map, and node edit is not fast enough sometimes specially if you want to change many things or add/subtract them), in that inkarnate program lets you draw circles of different shapes which are made from a texture and have their own border. The good thing is that if you want to add sharpness, you just take a smaller circle and draw over the landmass you drew. The new drawing inmediatly adds to the former one and makes a single one. You can "subtract" for even getting easily the shape you want.

I find that the way of doing landmass shapes is better than CC3´s one (humbly, and still my all my love and admiration for your work, Profantasy guys <3). Maybe it cannot be done considering the progamming CC3 has, but... could be considered as a way of doing landmass for future CC3 editions?

Check them by yourselves, it´s free (it´s on some kind of beta). As i said, it´s a poor man´s CC3 but the landmass creation has a good point, imo.

Cheers

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    First of all, Congratulations.
    Posted By: Medioand note edit is not fast enough sometimes specially if you want to change many things or add/subtract them
    I agree, node edit is not a good way to edit a landmass, but I find the edit functionality of the drawing tools make it extremely quick and easy to add/subtract from landmasses in CC3+.

Nevertheless, it is always interesting of hearing about other methods of doing things, one shouldn't get too stuck in one's existing thought patterns. I've seen that program before, did try it out a long time ago, but I don't remember too much about my impression back then. Perhaps it is time to give it a new spin.
  • Congratulations on the new edition!!! You must be excited!

As for editing landmasses in cc3+, did you know that you don't have to use the add or subtract nodes to edit landmasses? If you click on the landmass button, then click E for edit, that also allows you to alter a coastline. It sounds similar to what incarnate is doing....but without the circles, unless I'm missing something...
  • But I love using node edit. I guess getting used to it helps. My coastlines love to do something other than I want them to, then I spent time using node edit to fix it.
    Node edit is fine for changing small details, but using node edit when you decide to change the shape of a large stretch of fractalized coastline, that's just unnecessary work.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I generally draw a rather wiggly coastline with the freehand tool, then turn that outline into a filled polygon - instant wiggly-edged landmass. (this is for continents that I didn't generate in FT3)

Editing them with the node edit tool is then, unfortunately, a total waste of time, because the freehand tool generates loads more nodes than any other tool. I tend to just draw a correcting freehand line between point A and B (that being the bit that's wrong), then trace the continent with a suitable straight line drawing tool to keep the bits that are ok, while incorporating the correction line between points A and B by tracing along that instead of the wrong bit of coastline.

All in all, the most time consuming part of the operation from my point of view is drawing the new and improved piece of coastline by hand with the freehand drawing tool. Even taking that into account, however, I don't think I've ever taken more than ten minutes to completely redraw and amend even the largest of my freehand continents.
  • Oh, well, I find it fascinating enough to take up to 30 minutes or more using node edit, but not on the same small area. I typically only click fractalize a maximum of 3 times. Fewer nodes to edit that way.
    Posted By: JimPOh, well, I find it fascinating enough to take up to 30 minutes or more using node edit
    Ok, now I am really wondering where you find the time to do all the maps you do :)

Also note, that fractalize something 3 times, will at the minimum settings, multiply the node count by 8. I rarely do more than once, two at the most. Of course, the actual resulting count depends on the complexity of original entity.
  • I'm retired and my maps took years to do all of them. I've only been retired 3 years, and unfortunately my relatives take up too much of my time shuttling various people to locations i would prefer they use thweir own vehicle. But sometimes my sibling buys me a nice lunch. So maybe it does work out.

I someties use 30%, but I have used 20% or 10% for fractilizing. 30 I typically use on continents. The lesser amounts for islands. And then use the node commands for making bays and inlets. Or just use the polygon tool to make the inlets, and then gingerly fractalize them.
    Posted By: JimPI someties use 30%, but I have used 20% or 10% for fractilizing.
    The strength doesn't matter really, that just controls how far from the centerline the nodes can be moved. The dangerous setting is Depth. A depth of 1 doubles the node count, depth of 2 quadruples it, etc. (basically 2^depth times). Running with a depth of 3 is exactly the same as applying a depth of 1 three separate times.
    I guess we all have our own methods, Jim ;)
  • Well, thats why I use different strengths, to make the coastline jaggeg or less jagged.

Yup, my own methods. I couldn't fathom the one for making smaller sections of larger maps, so I can up with my own.
  • 1 month later
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited December 2016
    Was practicing with that tool and really, even if the program isn´t worthwhile, the coast i get is much better than the one i get using CC. It´s also way easier to edit and transform on my own rather than "trust" on a fractalizer.

I don´t always know exactly which kind of coastline i want; with this software, i can edit the coastline simply drawing and redrawing until the finalt outcome satisfies me.

EDIT: for future maps i´m probably using this, then attach it as PNG on my CC map, and draw a coastline following the Inkarnate coastline. Will tell you if that works for me.
    Example:
    You could do exactly the same in CC3 by using the freehand tool, amending by simply redrawing the bit that doesn't work and tracing the whole of it again, as described above.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record! LOL!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    What i meant is that in CC3 you have to do the drawing at a single time, and then you can edit notes (which in my experience is slow and you can´t really watch the results as fast as in this program). With Inkarnate you start doing the mainland and then quickly add or substract the parts you prefer.

Don´t get me wrong, the system has flaws but it´s way more users friendly than editing nodes and with the freehand tool you need to be cautious for joining the extremes of the lines you redraw. There is not such a thing on Inkarnate.

What i know is that for getting the coastline i got within ten minutes in Inkarnate, i would need about an hour in CC3. Maybe it´s my fault :D But for me at least half the goodness (the realism) of a map is its coastline.
    edited December 2016
    Posted By: MedioWhat i meant is that in CC3 you have to do the drawing at a single time, and then you can edit notes (which in my experience is slow and you can´t really watch the results as fast as in this program).
    Well, that is the complicated way of editing an entity in CC3. I prefer to use the edit option of the drawing tools that quickly lets you add/edit/remove complete sections in a few clicks. That only works as long as you drew the landmass with a drawing tool in the first place though, and not with the freehand tool.

Incarnate has its advantages in some areas, I won't dispute that, but comparing to doing node edits in CC3 isn't really fair.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Sue- using the freehand tool requires the ability to draw things that look something like what you intended.
    Not every everyone do this, and I am one one of them. That's why I bought CC3 :)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: MedioWhat i meant is that in CC3 you have to do the drawing at a single time, and then you can edit notes (which in my experience is slow and you can´t really watch the results as fast as in this program).
    Well, that is the complicated way of editing an entity in CC3. I prefer to use the edit option of the drawing tools that quickly lets you add/edit/remove complete sections in a few clicks. That only works as long as you drew the landmass with a drawing tool in the first place though, and not with the freehand tool.

Incarnate has its advantages in some areas, I won't dispute that, but comparing to doing node edits in CC3 isn't really fair.
    I didn´t try that method, although for what i see it has the disadvantage of not being able of using freehand... Thanks!

If it doesn´t fit me, i will use Inkarnate for drawing coastline, then CC3 for doing the map, then PS for the details and maybe labelling... ><
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: LoopysueYou could do exactly the same in CC3 by using the freehand tool, amending by simply redrawing the bit that doesn't work and tracing the whole of it again, as described above.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record! LOL!
    Tried the freehand and for large coastlines ... i hate it. I need to zoom a bit on the map for getting an acurate and realistic coastline but each time i try to zoom out and in, the damm thing draws by its own way :D

Maybe when i get a bamboo Wacom things will improve, but with mouse is hard and frustrating, at least for me.

Will try the other method Monsen suggested.
    edited December 2016
    In CC3, freehand is a kind of an odd tool, because it doesn't match to well up with how the rest of the tools operate. I know a few people have found it useful, and while it is nothing wrong with that, it is not really a tool I recommend people to use, except for a few special circumstances (Partly because you miss out on many of the great features the other tools have to help you with your mapping). I prefer to use CC3's fractal polygons (through a drawing tool, the basic fractal polygon commands doesn't have the edit feature, only the drawing tools have this, but remember, you can make new drawing tools to suit your needs) when making landmasses, because you can easily increase the fractalization level and add lots of definition to your coastline, while it is super-easy to edit later, even after you have started developing other features on the map.
    I usually draw the landmass in short segments to have great control over the shape though, only relying on the fractalization for definition, not for general shape.

But the important here is that you find a method that suits you obviously. I know my way of doing things doesn't suit everyone. Nothing wrong with using multiple programs in the process. I just felt that I needed to point out that node edits is not how you would normally approach larger edits in CC3 (although it is very helpful for minor edits when just a node or two needs to be changed)
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Yeah Monsen, in former maps i tried the short segments for controling the shape.

I´ve been cheking those maps today and compared their landmasses with the one i did with Inkarnate; the conclusion is that they look much worse.

Still i´m not sure if the Inkarnate landmass into the CC3 will look fine. These next days will see it.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Either way, that's a beautiful landmass you posted.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited December 2016
    Posted By: DogtagEither way, that's a beautiful landmass you posted.
    Thank you. Actually was made fast and as a testing, for example i don´t like how the southeastern islands looked, but the sad thing is that still this coastline improves my best CC3 coastline ever :(

Drawing a coastline for one of my world´s continents. First step on Inkarnate done, now let´s see if on next days i got time for "translating" the coastline into CC3.
  • Posted By: MonsenIn CC3, freehand is a kind of an odd tool, because it doesn't match to well up with how the rest of the tools operate. I know a few people have found it useful, and while it is nothing wrong with that, it is not really a tool I recommend people to use, except for a few special circumstances (Partly because you miss out on many of the great features the other tools have to help you with your mapping). I prefer to use CC3's fractal polygons (through a drawing tool, the basic fractal polygon commands doesn't have the edit feature, only the drawing tools have this, but remember, you can make new drawing tools to suit your needs) when making landmasses, because you can easily increase the fractalization level and add lots of definition to your coastline, while it is super-easy to edit later, even after you have started developing other features on the map.
    I usually draw the landmass in short segments to have great control over the shape though, only relying on the fractalization for definition, not for general shape.

But the important here is that you find a method that suits you obviously. I know my way of doing things doesn't suit everyone. Nothing wrong with using multiple programs in the process. I just felt that I needed to point out that node edits is not how you would normally approach larger edits in CC3 (although it is very helpful for minor edits when just a node or two needs to be changed)
    Really? I never knew that! Would it be possible for you to do a tutorial on how to do this? The coastlines of overland maps have never been something I've been happy with. I would love to make them look more realistic but I'm a total noob when it comes to any of the polygon tools and stuff like that. A highly detailed tutorial would be fantastic! If not that, could you at least show me how to make the tool you are talking about?

Thanks Monsen.
    I am only talking about the "land, default" tool (or any other drawing tool really, but this one is set up to draw fractals in most styles). If you are unhappy with the default fractalization, you can just edit the tool and access the options of it's draw method to change the fractalization settings.
  • Ok, thanks. I'll look up how to make my own drawing tool. I've never done it before.
    Check out the chapter on drawing tools in the manual. It explains how to edit and create drawing tools.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    2nd step, insert the PNG i draw from Inkarnate and draw a landmass over the drawing. Tiresome job and not 100% accurate as i just took some points - tried many, the more the better - but not EVERY point of the coastline.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    edited December 2016
    As you can see, it´s similar but not as sharp and good in general over the Inkarnate coastline.

I´m adding also the same sheet with effects (13rd age annual)

EDIT: i´m doing several things to improve this drawing. Manually editing nodes as Monsen said, it´s relatively fast altough i can´t really control the drawing as well as i do in Inkarnate. I also transformed "straight to smooth" which improved a bit the quality of the coastline. Still, not close to the results i was rooting for.
    edited December 2016
    How big is the map overall in map units?

It seems to me like you have tried to squeeze a continent sized map into an island type of space. If the map was larger overall the detail would be sharper and the bevel would look less like a 200 foot cliff all the way around the island.

Merelan City, for example, though nowhere near as detailed in general crinkliness as your map, is 5600 x 5600 map units. If I were to shrink it to 1000 x 1000 the effects I've carefully tuned to the larger size would make it look silly, since they are controlled by numbers of map units. All the many bevels I have used on each of the eight levels in that map would make the smaller map look really bad.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2016
    Posted By: tonnichiwaReally? I never knew that! Would it be possible for you to do a tutorial on how to do this?
    That's a good idea, tonnichiwa. You're not the only one who's never heard of the super-powerful and super-useful Edit feature for drawing tools. I just created a short video tutorial on this and posted it to the forum.

I hope it helps,
    ~Dogtag