Random Mountains

I am in CC3+ trying to place mountains. I thought there was a setting where it would place random graphics with each mouse button press, instead I get the same mountain and to place a different symbol for each would take for ever instead of being random. How can I change this setting?

Thanks

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello IceniQueen :)

I have noticed for myself that sometimes the random selection seems to get a bit stuck, but as long as you choose one of the symbols that has a tiny little square in the top left hand corner (not all of them do), you can use the TAB key to force a change from one symbol to the next and even keep hitting TAB till you get the one that you want while you hover over the point where you want to insert it.

I think there is also a way to use the symbol manager to make new or larger collections of symbols, but I've never needed to do it myself.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    There are a couple of things to be aware of when it comes to random symbols
    - It only works on collection of symbols (The little +-sign in the top left corner), which also have a small R in a box below the plus
    - It only works when the collection is NOT expanded (If you click the plus to expand the collection, you can pick individual symbols directly, but as long as it is expanded, the random picking for that collection is disabled)
    - Smart symbols must NOT be disabled (Right click in the map with a symbol on the cursor to access parameters dialog, or click options button above symbol catalog window)
  • IceniQueenIceniQueen Newcomer
    edited October 2016
    Has the + top left corner and it is not expanded. I do not see an R on the mountain sets. The smart is checked. It used to work, then stopped when I went to CC3+ I will try on CC 2 and 3 to see if it follows

As a NOTE: CC3 was doing it to
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you sure you are using the same mountains as those that used to work? Not all the collections supports random symbol selection (The R I mentioned is the key here, if it doesn't appear right below the +, then that collection isn't set up with that features). For example in the default CC3 overland style, the 'Mtns Large', 'Mtns' and 'Mnts Small' all support this, while the 'Great peak' and 'Mtn Range' collections do not.

Other styles have different symbol catalogs with different setup obviously.

Of course, if you want a collection to support random symbols, you can edit the symbol catalog and add this property. All that is needed is to open up the symbol catalog (in the main window, like a map, as opposed to the symbol catalog window), go to tthe symbol manager, access the options of all the symbols in that particular collection, and enable the 'Randomly select from collection' option.