Cloud Maps (Fractal Terrains 3) - Ready Made Or DIY?

OK Guys - I am now not only in the process of generating and creating all new cloud maps for FT3 / T1.0 - but I am also creating a GIMP brush set to do fine tuning by adding storms to the maps (as of writing this - I have enough images for 93 brushes - wanted to shoot for 100 but I think that I tapped BING out of pretty much - every useable hurricane, typhoon, and cyclone satellite image that I could mole for).

My question to you Fractal Terrains users is this - would you rather have the global cloud maps with storms already on them - or would you me to include a brush set (GIMP Brushes + .png images for making Photoshop Brushes or brushes for other apps) in T1.0 so that you can "tweak" them (the cloud maps) the way that you want them?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Can we have both?

If not, I prefer the finished versions really, mostly because that allows me to do everything in FT3 and not involve additional software to get my results.
  • Preference to both.

Also, some advice on cloud cover would be helpful, some worlds are going to have more clouds than others so knowing what to apply for particular world types with examples is helpful.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I have only been using FT3 to generate believable coastlines for my CC3 maps up till now, but with beautiful cloud maps like that to use I might think again about how I use it.

I am assuming that these files would be editable in Corel Photopaint, if you made them editable, so yes please to both :D
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Hello Sue,

I see you are using Corel Photopaint, which is I think a rather old software for pixel-based image editing. I think it could be interesting for you to have a look at Krita, this is a recent program, totally free and open source, that is focused on drawing (as opposed to Photoshop that is more focused on photo editing). The download is about 60Mb (I know this can be inconvenient for you, but I think it may be worth it).
  • The cloud overlays help ft3 worlds look like they have an atmosphere. I put yellowish ones over planets I wanted to have a toxic atmosphere. Regular clouds showed puffy or stormy clouds, etc.
    Posted By: GatharHello Sue,

I see you are using Corel Photopaint, which is I think a rather old software for pixel-based image editing. I think it could be interesting for you to have a look at Krita, this is a recent program, totally free and open source, that is focused on drawing (as opposed to Photoshop that is more focused on photo editing). The download is about 60Mb (I know this can be inconvenient for you, but I think it may be worth it).
    Hey Gathar :)

My copy of Photopaint is 15 years old. The help page has long ago disappeared (even though its Corel), and its extremely crashy when used with modern OS such as Win 10 (owing to certain rather un-gentlemanly disagreements about active memory), but I know it inside out. Thank you for your suggestion... and I may yet have a look at that... but I'm going to hang on to this for as long as I can, because its as familiar and natural to me as picking up a paintbrush and starting on a canvas, whereas changing to something new would pretty much cripple my "creative" flow.

I've tried GIMP, and its a bit like like trying to drive a tower crane instead of a car - and doing so without any lessons. This has kind of put me off trying anything new for a while.

The reason I don't use Photoshop is because I strongly object to having to pay more to use a piece of software than I do to keep my car on the road every month. But there is an alternative...

I'm hoping to try Affinity which is a British MAC alternative to Photoshop, and apparently a serious threat to Adobe's monopolisation of the graphics market - once they release the Windows version, that is ;) Its also a one-time purchase for about the same price as CC3.

However, that doesn't mean I'll be using it for anything other than creating new symbols and doing a bit of virtual painting every now and then, since none of the mainstream graphics packages are in any way actually designed to create maps the way that CC3 is :D
    Posted By: LoopysueMy copy of Photopaint is 15 years old.
    I see I am not the only one using ancient software. For image editing, I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 from 2001, also 15 years old. I think this was the last version before Corel acquired it. I also use ACDSee32 v2.42 from 1999 (Written for Window 98) as my image viewing software. Both of them are rock stable on Win 10 x64, and I am far happier with them than any alternatives I've tried.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I agree that the UI of the Gimp is a little peculiar. From what I've seen, Krita is much more mainstream. This remains a complete application, with many shortcuts to master to be very efficient with it, but at least I've been able to use it naturally when I tried. I had not heard of affinity before, but apparently it is more generic purpose, not geared toward drawing.
    By the way, if you want to use such a drawing software efficiently, whichever the one you choose, you will definitely need a drawing tablet...

And I agree that this kind of software is not a concurrent of CC3, it's totally complementary, and I only advise you on this subject because I hope someday you will design a symbol set that I'll be able to use in my maps :)
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: LoopysueMy copy of Photopaint is 15 years old.
    I see I am not the only one using ancient software. For image editing, I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 from 2001, also 15 years old. I think this was the last version before Corel acquired it. I also use ACDSee32 v2.42 from 1999 (Written for Window 98) as my image viewing software. Both of them are rock stable on Win 10 x64, and I am far happier with them than any alternatives I've tried.
    Interesting isn't it - the way that Corel wrecked the stability of a rather nice piece of software. I don't suppose there's any way that I can get hold of an old copy of Paint Shop Pro is there?

@Gathar... Flattery will get you everywhere, Gathar :D

LOL!

I can now walk around all day with my chest puffed out and a big stupid grin on my face!
    edited October 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueI don't suppose there's any way that I can get hold of an old copy of Paint Shop Pro is there?
    Ebay has a couple of copies: US UK Canada. This is the exact version I am using. I have no idea if it has the features you need, but considering you too are using a 15-year old piece of software, you are probably not looking for the latest bleeding edge stuff anyway.
    Thanks Remy :D

I'll have a look at them and see if they will do to replace my broken-backed Photopaint. I wouldn't know what you meant by 'bleeding edge' anyway, so I guess you would be right about that :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: MonsenI see I am not the only one using ancient software. For image editing, I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 from 2001, also 15 years old. I think this was the last version before Corel acquired it. I also use ACDSee32 v2.42 from 1999 (Written for Window 98) as my image viewing software. Both of them are rock stable on Win 10 x64, and I am far happier with them than any alternatives I've tried.
    Paint Shop Pro 6, here.

It does almost everything I need on a day-to-day basis. There are rare instances where I need something more but I could count those on one hand in any given year.
    Does Paint Shop Pro have layers? That's the only thing I'd really miss if I didn't have Photopaint.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2016
    Yes, Paint Shop Pro supports layers.
    Worth knowing.

Thanks Dogtag :)
  • Krita download page says IntelHD chips may or may not be supported. Thats all I have in my computer as my 1gig video card doesn't seem to work in it. Same type as the card slot.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm using GIMP 2.8.1 in 32 bit version - even though I have a 64 bit machine - because I can put more expansion plug ins in the 32 bit version - as more are available - via the legacy 32 bit plug ins + a few newer 32 bit packages. The newer version of GIMP chokes on a lot of the legacy plug ins - which in my opinion - are better than the few newer 64 bit deals. Also - I'm going to scope out some brush making tutorials and will probably post the best of them later. I'm not sure if you can still get the older 32 bit versions of GIMP - as I haven't been back to their site in quite a while...
  • GIMP has a 32 bit version the 32 & 64 bit versions are now in the same installer.

Also if you use GIMP the G'MIC add on is a must have

http://gmic.eu/

Another good image program is Project Dogwaffle. You can download a full older version of it for free. It has extensive tutorials on YouTune showing how to do various things.

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I agree that g'mic looks very interesting. It's also integrated in Krita, and I've seen very interesting example of its use to colour a line art even when not all regions are perfectly closed, this seemed really convenient.
  • 1 year later
  • Hi!

I would be veeeeery happy Terraformer to include both final pics AND brushes to create new, customized, cloud layers!

Thanks, Terraformer_Creator, for bringing us such a great tool!