Information

Hi,

I don't own any products yet Im still trying to decide which ones to buy.

I am about to run a Deadlands game and I'd like to do a map for my cowtown. So I guess I need City Designer 3?

Also the game is actually a Campaign so I reckon I need Campaign Cartographer 3 as well?

I want to be able to have farms maps in some scenarious. WHich product would be suitable for that?

Thanks

Comments

• Posted By: ReggaePirateHi,

I don't own any products yet Im still trying to decide which ones to buy.

I am about to run a Deadlands game and I'd like to do a map for my cowtown. So I guess I need City Designer 3?

Also the game is actually a Campaign so I reckon I need Campaign Cartographer 3 as well?

I want to be able to have farms maps in some scenarious. WHich product would be suitable for that?

Thanks
    Hi ReggaePirate, welcome to the forums!

CC3+ (Campaign Cartographer Plus) is the base program. All the other programs- City Designer 3, Dungeon Designer 3, Fractal Mapper 3, and Cosmographer 3 (beta only at this point, so expect some bugs; but they're workin' on that) run off of CC3+. CC3+ makes overland maps, while City Designer 3 makes city maps (and has the symbols to create your cowtowns and farm maps). You would also be well served by getting the Tome of Unlimited Mapping which explains a very great deal about creating maps with CC3+ along with tricks and tips.

I'm still only a tyro at this stuff, but I've learned a LOT from these forums. Check out a few messages, and you'll start learning all sorts of things about mapping!

LLAP

Nacon4
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2016
    City Designer 3 will give you a lot of tools and symbols to help create city-level maps. For street-level battle maps, you'll probably want Dungeon Designer 3. Don't let the name fool you, it isn't just for dungeons. It's also used for floor plans, and battle maps (streets, alleys, saloons). For some examples of great Deadlands battle maps, check out this trove of stuff Ralf, from ProFantasy, made for his campaign. Also all this stuff. Most, if not all, of the maps were made with Campaign Cartographer (the base program, as Nacon4 said) and the Dungeon Designer add-on. Some also used additional Symbol Set 2, another add-on.

I believe (but could be wrong) that a lot of the maps in that second collection, by forum member Sadizm, also used 3rd-party symbols, and art, such as the CSUAC collection. and/or community-made symbols for Dundjinni (an old rival battle map program that is no longer maintained). You can find more information about all of those 3rd-party resources here on the forum as well.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Many thanks for all the above help, very interesting to read.