Please PM me, I have a question about Commission Work

I just recently acquired commission work from a private party. Admittedly this is my first time doing work on commission so i wondering if anyone can give me tips to avoid pitfalls etc.

I understand the cc3+ copy right policies and wont be in violation. But my questions are more towards compensation and protecting my work.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• 01i01i
    edited October 2016
    The first thing that you should be doing is putting together a contract that explains exactly what's going on with regards to the copyrights. State explicitly exactly which rights are being sold, or transferred (if any), and which rights are retained by which parties etc. If you're doing a custom map, then chances are that the intellectual property may well be shared between the two parties, which complicates the rights. You would retain certain rights automatically as the cartographer, but they may have ownership of the IP behind the world which your map depicts, which might make your rights derivative of theirs (rather than the other way around). Of course, it might not be complicated at all, but I'd still use a contract.
  • edited October 2016
    O1i Thanks for the reply.

I assume i could use a template or an existing one? Or is there some sort of official notary version i would use, meaning would i need a lawyer to draw one up?

Sorry as i assume these are rudimentary questions, and to be honest i dont think im at this point of concern yet with my work. But if this is something i decide to pursue, then getting serious about the legality of it all, is very much needed.

Again appreciate the assistance.
  • I haven't read their FAQs, but defiantart.com might have some info on their site about this.