Can't find custom palette (fcw32.pal)

I'm trying to work with a custom palette and have seen the other support emails about how to save it and reload if needed. However, even after making a custom palette and hitting the save custom PAL button, I can not find an fcw32.pal file anywhere in the CC3 folder or subfolders. Also, if I try to reload the custom palette, nothing happens, it just stays with the default palette. Any help in pointing out what I"m doing wrong would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Literally 5 min after posting this I figured it out. My CC3 was not running with admin permissions, so it could not write the fcw32.pal file to the Program Files folder. When I ran it with admin permissions, it worked. I'll blame this one on Windows 10.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Maiar73

Welcome to the Profantasy Forum :)

Have you done a search for the fcw32.pal file?

I went looking for mine and found it here:

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus

I nearly missed it, however, because it was in upper case like this:

FCW32.PAL
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh - you have nanny MS trying to do what she thinks is best for you too, do you?

(Don't get me started on Cortana!)

The way to get around this is to disarm the antivirus before installing, install the software by right clicking on the installation app and choosing install as administrator. Remember to switch the antivirus back on afterwards :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Glad you figured it out. With UAC enables, Windows virtualizes writes to the program files directories, so the file should be somewhere in your profile folder, but I don't remember the path right now.

Anyway, this is one of the things that works better in CC3+, since it operates with a separate data directory, it doesn't need to write to the program directory any more, removing the need to run as administrator.
  • The one you tried to make and save that you can't find now may be in a AppData folder that is normally hidden. I think one of the Local ones. CC3 when you do not Running as an Admin will store stuff in AppData folders that it can't do to UAC put in a Program Folder. I had that happen when I was using CC3years ago and didn't know about Windows not being able to find a map , but being able to load a map I made.
  • Thanks all. I did find the .pal file. This is all focused around me working to get one of the Annuals (Pete Fenlon from 2008) working in CC3+. I've got it going now with a lot of help from Ederon's post here (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5358&page=1#Comment_36004), but the one thing I still can't figure out is how to update the Symbol Toolbar to point to the Fenlon symbols. Any recommendations on where the symbol toolbar file is located and how to edit it?

Thanks again!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    You need to create symbol catalog settings for them. The symbol toolbar loads catalogs based on filters.

If you start a new map of that style, and click the Symbol Catalog Settings button in the left toolbars, you'll see a list of symbol catalogs. Those are not actually catalogs, but rather symbol catalog settings, each of them connected to a specific symbol catalog. By creating these settings with the appropriate names (The names here is what the filters search), the symbol catalog buttons on the toolbar will find the correct catalogs automatically.
    If you hit the Advanced button, you'll also see something called a master filter in this dialog. A master filter is a keyword for the style. To edit master filters, right click the toggle symbol style button, and select the master filter option. This box will list a series of master filters, and each group (of up to 15) is saved to a seperate setting.
    If you check the OnLoadMacro for any map made using this style, you can see which master filter setting is loaded, and which of the filter in this setting is actually activated.

When you click for example the mountains button on the symbol toolbar, it will look for the symbol catalog setting containing both the word defined in the currently active master filter, and the word "mountain", and load the catalog defined by that setting.