Tome of Ultimate Mapping Question

Hello,

I was planning on buying the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, but i have a question.

In the product description i read "Tome will give you tips and techniques to make better maps with Fractal Terrains 3, CC3 and all add-ons."

I only own CC3, CC3+, DD3 and CD3. To follow/complete the tomes tutorials and guides do i need other "add-ons"? How much of the Tome includes add-on content that i do not own?

Thanks,

Naleax

p.s. I should add that i plan on using CC3+ and not CC3. Will the tome work just as well with CC3+?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    EDIT: Oh I didn't realise you were new to the forum!

Welcome to the Profantasy Forum :D

I'm going to be getting the Tome as well pretty soon - once I've got through the latest mapping attack.

From all the little clues I've gleaned from many other threads I believe the Tome is currently in the process of being updated for CC3+. From what I've heard about it generally, even if you only have CC3/CC3+ and nothing else, its still an invaluable resource of detailed knowledge.

That's what I've heard anyway ;)

Its written and largely illustrated by Monsen, so there's a fairly safe bet that its a pretty excellent production.
  • Thanks for the information and the welcome Loopysue.

I've heard the same, that it is an invaluable resource, but i was just a bit concerned that i would need a ton of add-ons to really make use of it.

Curious if i buy the CC3 version, will the CC3+ version be free though?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The biggest chapter in the book is the CC3 one (Close to one third of the book by page count) Together with the DD3 and CD3 parts, it covers a bit more than 50% of the book. Most of the "Meat" is also in these sections.

As Sue said, the Tome is currently in the process of being rewritten to CC3+. The current one can still be used with CC3+, but there are some references to things that have changed obviously.
  • Thanks Monsen.

Can you comment on whether or not owners of the CC3 version will receive the CC3+ version when it's complete?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    Unfortunately, I can't comment on that, I'm not part of that decision. Profantasy do have an Upgrade Guarantee though. (Don't ask if it will be released within 3 months, I can't answer that)
  • Ok, thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

Naleax
  • The Tome Covers everything that was available at the time of its release in it. For Annuals it just gives recommendations of specific annuals for certain sections.

Also, CC3+ usable versions of some of the tutorial files got added as zip see this thread.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6490&page=1#Item_6

The CC3, CD3, and DD3 tutorials are linked a little. You make a big map, make a blow up of one part of that map, make a dungeon, and make a city. The city is on that is on your world and regional maps, and the dungeon is a location in the city. You get shown how to link all the map together

I guess Monsen will be adding in the Cosmo stuff if an update is done to the zip as the Cosmo 3 CC3+ Beta is out now and working on the updated CC3+ Cosmo tutorials.