[wip] Venus for Space: 1889

For this game, Venus is a swamp/marsh under the cloud layer. So I have made a preliminary png of Venus. Not much mountainous areas, some lowlands, marshes, and a few lakes...

I went through multiple looks and decided to export and post this one. Likely I will fgo for several more before settling on a final export. Then modify that one in CC3 using the Cosmo hex map, or maybe just go with the regula overland mapping in CC3.

SInce I am making my own solar system for my versioon of the maps for this game, that means i'll also be makinfg maps for; Mars, Mercury, maybe for Earth, some stellites of Jupiter and Saturn, with maybe some for the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud.

Or may just take a nap. Its after lunch and i need one.

Comments

• A differnt verson with another random seed. Yup, I wrote the numbers for the changes down.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2016
    very preliminary hex map for Mars. Lots of ocean to deal with...

edit: I guess I do nee a nap... I found some 1800s maps of Mars online, along with a Space: 1889 map I might import into this one and use it as a template to trace. Haven't made my mind up yet.
  • edited October 2016
    Jim: Worth looking too at the maps in the Space: 1889 supplement Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds (link is to the DriveThruRPG downloads website; the digital version there is currently $4.95), as it has surface maps for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and part of the subsurface world of the Moon, which might give you some additional options/ideas. The Venus and Mars maps give further information to the maps in the main rulebook, incidentally.
  • I have that and the rule book in paperback form. I found the maps online, via a site dedicated to the game.

I'm mostly deciding at this point, but I would like some suggestions on which of the two Venus pngs could work.

I downloaded an Earth continent outline map from the Profantasy library. I am going to try and modify some of the continents in that map, for my Earth map.

I hadn't spent much time on this particular map/game, but I hope to at least get some of the planet maps, and maybe the Mercury polar area map done.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    For what its worth I prefer the second green version. The scale of the detail is a bit smaller than the first green map, so it will look more like a planet sized orb.
  • Since I have the books, I can modify it until it more closely resembles the one in the books. But I think a loose interpretation is best.

I'm sort of leaning to the second one as well.
    edited October 2016
    Completely redid the Mars map... using the file I downloaded. Modified due to the icosahedron template, using a '3 circles' map as a guide. Something about the template wouldn't let me place symbols in the blue half-circles. I unfroze it, and no difference.
  • Glad you've got the printed books - me too! Wasn't sure from your earlier post queries though.

"Green" Venus version 2 for me as well. Oddly, it has certain similarities to the actual surface of Venus as determined by combined radar and altimetry data collected by the Magellan spaceprobe:

There's a higher resolution version here.

Really liking the look of the redone Mars Map, because it's closer to the style of those hex-maps in the books, I think.

For the sake of completeness, a Mars map based on Viking and Mars Global Surveyor data from Wikimedia Commons:

It's also available in various alternate resolutions here.

I looked and looked, but couldn't find the canals though...
  • Yeah, the canals seen back in the 1800s was due to bad optics in those telescopes. From what I've read, several competing telescope equipment and astronomer groups argued about it for several years. Then newer, larger, telescopes came out and no canals. The Mars oribiter and Voyager probes showed no canals, so that ended it.

Venus' surface is actually rather molten/moves slowly... its interesting to read old sf stories from the 1940s and 1950s and see how different authors handled what was below the clouds until Venera and other probes showed no large areas of water. Then the radar of Magellan showing the surface changing over time that could only be explained by molten rock. From what I remember, its not moving fast, like a downhill lava flow, but there is enough movement to show it changes and too hot to make a permanent base.
    edited October 2016
    Made some progress, but it hurts my eyes to try and read the text, with reading glasses, in the book. So this is it until I get my main 39" tv connected up and using it with my desktop.

I guess I could use my craft magnifier head thingie, I'll try that later today. It maginfies up to 8x.

Of course, it would help if I posted the png map. eesh.