(ot) laptop failure

Again. Laptop failure. Hopefully won't take me long to fix. Says my hard drive is locked and won't let me restore. Unable to read email. I'll try and boot up my desktop on Monday. Later. Jim

Typing this on my small cell phone.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, you did mention it was under-powered here in another thread. Perhaps it is time for a new one :)
  • got my tablet to work. Found the external case... but I'm tired. I'll be around, just not mapping right now.
  • 1 month later
  • I've given up on getting the laptop to work again... auto fix doesn't. Nor any of the other fixes. My Win 10 desktop just installed a very large update. Took almost an hour. At least I have the bandwidth/download to handle it. I'll probably take my blank spare hard drive and put linux on it and use that in the laptop.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can stop the WIN 10 downloads happening behind your back by flagging your broadband as "metered" but I can't remember how you do it. Remy told me, I think.

Mind you, the only proof that it works is that I haven't had an update without giving my permission for it since I did that.

It stops the nasty surprise, but it only delays the inevitable, since if you keep Win 10 you will eventually need to allow the update manually - to keep up with where the software is.

I've had to double my broadband allowance to make room for it. I wasn't a happy bunny... until I worked out a deal with my broadband provider that simultaneously reduced the price to 25% what it was. End result - double the broadband at half the old price.
  • If I felt MS' updates accomplished much... I wouldn't be bothered by it. I had to keep an eye on 300 desktops at my last job. All supposedly the same hardware capabilities to handle the OS of choice and mostly all using identical same software. But around half of them acted differently after a patch and not in the same way. I'm glad I only have to fix my own gear now. I certainly have more control over the final decisions.