Mapping my Friend's Dungeon World campaign

Hey, I've been mapping my friend's Dungeon World campaign setting as we play, creating towns as we visit them and then adding the keys to the maps as we make up locations on the fly.

This is my first time mapping cities with CC3, so here's what I've done so far:
The World Map:

This is the world, called Andren. Our DM hasn't decided if this is just a small part of a much larger world or not - given that we're playing Dungeon World, you just kinda start with one small town and expand out as you play. You'll notice many areas of the map have no detail at all, that's because we haven't gone there, so it won't flesh out until we do that.

The city of Brekford:

This is the first larger settlement we've visited, a thieves' den of a town perched upon the river. I've tried to give it a load of small alleyways and side passages between buildings, a thief's highway of planks and tracks across rooftops. It could probably do with more clutter to fill in some of the blank areas. This is my first city made with CD3, so it's been a learning experience of building out my sheets. I've attached the FCW file if you want to have a look at the map and what sheets and effects I am using.

Any tips for finalising this city would be appreciated!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Hi Eoneill, welcome to the forums.

Friendly Moderator Notice:
    I took the liberty of editing your post and changing the displayed size of your images, they were difficult to view at a normal computer screen at that scale. Please try to stay within the 1024px width outlined in the forum guidelines, and provide a link to higher-resolution images instead if desired.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Looking good Eoneill

May I make a suggestion?

Some of the text is a little difficult to read with that drop shadow effect on it. Perhaps a Glow Effect (outer) might make it a bit easier to read?

Other than that, really quite impressive :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I think it looks really good. I especially like the "thief's higway." I may have to borrow that idea! Also what font(s) are you using? I really like the text, especially the numbers for the places identified in the legend.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that, for a thieves' den, it sure looks pretty clean. Maybe add a new sheet for "FILTH" or something, and then add some splashes of additional "terrain" textures. Add a transparency effect and a good edge fade, inner effect to the sheet to help it blend in. If you have DD3, even better. DD3 has textures that include patches of transparency on them that helps them look "splotchy." The textures kind of look like cow hides when you look at their thumbnails. They have a "T" at the end (for "transparency," I presume).

Otherwise, this is a nice, small, crowded settlement and a great first outing with CD3. I forgot to mention the nice use of the custom house tool to make some of the buildings odd shapes to fit their locations. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited September 2016
    @Monsen - sorry about that! I read the guidelines and thought the 1024 px rule only applied to uploaded images - I use a three-monitor set up, so it's hard to tell what the plebes see!

@Sue - yeah, i've been thinking about the drop shadow - I've been slowly making new text sheets and removing it from some parts of it. I'll try swapping to an outline and see what it's like.

@Dogtag - I have DD3, I've never actually used those tiles. Thought the white was supposed to be snow or something! :S Sounds like it will be really useful! I'll have a go at making it more filthy and see what it's like. The font is a very old one (think it was made in 2001) called Middle Ages, link: Middle Ages

Okay, so here we have the updated maps:
    The Region/World of Andren:

Brekford:
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: eoneill@Monsen - sorry about that! I read the guidelines and thought the 1024 px rule only applied to uploaded images - I use a three-monitor set up, so it's hard to tell what the plebes see!
    No Worries. The intention behind the rule is to ensure that everyone can see the images easily (and not to be too bandwidth-hungry on account of those with slow internet and/or quotas), so it is just as relevant no matter the source of the image.
    I use a 3-screen setup myself, but when at work I only have full-HD displays (Which is what most people have) and your images was difficult to view properly, because the browser doesn't shrink an image embedded in a web site like it would do if viewing the image directly. My monitors at home is a bit better, so everything looks smaller there, but you would still like your images to be viewed properly by most people, not just me :)

I noticed that you had deleted the original images, making your first post link some rather ugly "black boxes". You should probably edit your first post and replace the bad links.

I like your city btw, you've managed to nicely illustrate the cramped conditions inside the wall. The trees inside the wall look a little out of place though, considering space is such a premium, why haven't anyone built there?
  • Excellent beginning, eoneill Are the trees owned by someone important like a Guildmaster in the town perhaps?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • 29 days later
  • The one thing I would say about the world map is the hydrology of your rivers seem a bit inexplicable. There's a large mountain right at the coast, but then the river flows from there all the way back inland (theoretically possible, I suppose, but rather unlikely-- the coastline has to be lower, which is why it's the coast). The river appears to split at Andoc and flow two directions, which is not the way rivers will naturally function (water follows the path of least resistance, so if an alternate route opens up that is more preferential, the other will dry up; it could be a man made diversion I suppose). Then the river branch just ends at the unnamed city, when really it should just keep flowing onward to the sea.

On the other side of the map the river that starts at Mt. Atron looks like it's flowing uphill toward the mountainous area where Untergrad is. Basically with the way that river flows, everything up to the point where it meets the other river "South" of Brekford has to be lower than everything to the North, which means The Feywood area where the river flows through must be at really high elevation, and past that you've got a very rapid drop from into the coastline. The rivers flowing to The Vilemoor and Verminwood just terminate there again, instead of flowing onward toward the sea.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Posted By: NagorakThe one thing I would say about the world map is the hydrology of your rivers seem a bit inexplicable. There's a large mountain right at the coast, but then the river flows from there all the way back inland (theoretically possible, I suppose, but rather unlikely-- the coastline has to be lower, which is why it's the coast).
    Not a problem. You could easily describe the Amazon the same way, with the Andes being the mountain sat on the west coast, and the river flowing all the way back across the mainland to the east coast of Brazil.
    Posted By: NagorakThe river appears to split at Andoc and flow two directions, which is not the way rivers will naturally function (water follows the path of least resistance, so if an alternate route opens up that is more preferential, the other will dry up; it could be a man made diversion I suppose). Then the river branch just ends at the unnamed city, when really it should just keep flowing onward to the sea.
    A river can split if the flow is very slow and the land is very flat. Geographers call it 'Braiding', and it occurs most commonly where the river is loaded to maximum capacity with silt and suddenly slows down, for example flowing out across a level plain, or through a clogged up lake - a marsh - an inland delta. A river can even flow both ways, depending on season. Again the real world example is the Amazon, where once the dry season comes to an end the rivers first to flood with the rains cause the rivers running in from areas that are yet to be rained on to back up - to flow in reverse. Its a temporary thing, of course, but it happens.
    Posted By: NagorakOn the other side of the map the river that starts at Mt. Atron looks like it's flowing uphill toward the mountainous area where Untergrad is. Basically with the way that river flows, everything up to the point where it meets the other river "South" of Brekford has to be lower than everything to the North, which means The Feywood area where the river flows through must be at really high elevation, and past that you've got a very rapid drop from into the coastline. The rivers flowing to The Vilemoor and Verminwood just terminate there again, instead of flowing onward toward the sea.
    Ummm.... I'm afraid you have me on that one!

Sorry :)
  • Not sure I'm following the hydrological "problems" here.

The main river flows from Mt Atron to Andoc, where it's joined by a tributary stream flowing in from the walled town northeast of Rilion. The river carries on, dropping over an escarpment, then past Brekford, where it's joined by a second tributary stream flowing out of the Ethrin Vale (the junction point might bear a small degree of adjustment here, perhaps). Beyond that, the river heads into a deep gorge, then round or beneath the volcano in Untergrad, before emptying into the lake in the Vilemoor.

Alternatively, the northern flow pattern might be the same, but the southern flows could be different. The Ethrin Vale stream and the river from the north side of the Untergrad volcano might actually flow towards Brekford and the escarpment, so what seems to be merely a waterfall there might actually be a huge sinkhole into which both the north- and south-flowing rivers pour. A separate stream would then flow from the southern flanks of the Untergrad volcano into the Vilemoor lake.

Really lovely couple of maps whatever the case. I especially like the "crowded medieval" feel to Brekford. And glad to know you'd also taken the plunge and tried out those DD3 "snow" textures too, Eoneill!

Only things to add might be a scale and a compass indicator?
  • edited October 2016
    Well, I don't want to argue too much over what's really nitpicking. It was just what initially struck me about the world map. It's a fine map in any case, I just thought it was something the designer might want to consider. :)

I like the city map, I just wonder about the scale. The Hobbled Jester looks really large in comparison to the other buildings, but I suppose that's probably going for the old inn and tavern with a lot of people staying there. Adding some sort of scale would definitely help provide a sense of how big the city and various buildings are. Not exactly map related, but the Alchemist's Shop (or should that be Shoppe?) could probably benefit from a more creative name ("Bubbling Beaker", "Potion's Galore", etc).