General New User (or Advanced) Grumbles

Ok, I'll start. I've begun using the Tome of Ultimate Mapping (and a mighty Tome it is indeed) and I'm on the Island of Tariga. I keep thinking I should have designed the farmland first and put the mountain ranges around it. Any suggestions?

This is a general chat so anyone wanting to chip in anything is welcome (I hope)

LLAP

Nacon4

Comments

• I'd also like to ask if Sourcemaps: Cities is compatible with CC3+?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    The Sourcemaps series is not yet compatible with CC3+ but ProFantasy is working on it. In fact, they're developing a new version of Sourcemaps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs, at the very least, to use bitmap fills and effects!

But for now, no, none of them are compatible yet.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: Nacon4I keep thinking I should have designed the farmland first and put the mountain rangesaroundit.
    Why do you keep thinking that? is it for technical reasons that have to do with the mechanics of using the drawing tools or is it for a creative/design reason?

Personally, I tend to add the mountains and hills first because they inform where my rivers will go. And my rivers, in turn, help to determine where other forms of terrain will go, including farmland.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: Dogtag
    Posted By: Nacon4I keep thinking I should have designed the farmland first and put the mountain ranges around it.
    Why do you keep thinking that? is it for technical reasons that have to do with the mechanics of using the drawing tools or is it for a creative/design reason?

Personally, I tend to add the mountains and hills first because they inform where my rivers will go. And my rivers, in turn, help to determine where other forms of terrain will go, including farmland.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Well on Tariga there's supposed to be some farmland in the NE corner of the map; but I overdid it with the mountains so every time I lay down some farmland the squares get lopped of at strangle angles. Mind you this was the only farmland fill I found that filled the polygon. I found another and all it did was make the area green. And, for what its worth, I think CC3+ is working just fine. It's the fill that's weird, but that was because it was a polygon fill and not a symbol (per se).

I suppose that the best I can really hope for at this point is to redo the map again and place rocks and hills over the bits of farmland hanging out.

LLAP

Nacon4
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: DogtagThe Sourcemaps series is not yet compatible with CC3+ but ProFantasy is working on it. In fact, they're developinga new version of Sourcemaps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs, at the very least, to use bitmap fills and effects!

But for now, no, none of them are compatible yet.
    Excellent, but for now Fantasy Overland Symbol Set 1, Fantasy Floorplans Symbol Set 2, and Modern Symbol Set 3 are all compatible with CC3+?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Nacon4Mind you this was the only farmland fill I found that filled the polygon. I found another and all it did was make the area green.
    You shouldn't need go looking for fills, the Terrain, Default, Farmland drawing tool should already be set up with the correct fill for farmland.
    As for not having space for it, I recommend placing it somewhere else on the island, or load up one of my tutorial maps to continue from my actual map. It is unfortunately difficult to explain everything up ahead, so most people doing the tutorial are bound to get a map which differ enough from mine to create issues at points.
    Posted By: Nacon4Excellent, but for now Fantasy Overland Symbol Set 1, Fantasy Floorplans Symbol Set 2, and Modern Symbol Set 3 are all compatible with CC3+?
    Yes.
  • edited October 2016
    Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: Nacon4Mind you this was the only farmland fill I found that filled the polygon. I found another and all it did was make the area green.
    You shouldn't need go looking for fills, the Terrain, Default, Farmland drawing tool should already be set up with the correct fill for farmland.
    As for not having space for it, I recommend placing it somewhere else on the island, or load up one of my tutorial maps to continue from my actual map. It is unfortunately difficult to explain everything up ahead, so most people doing the tutorial are bound to get a map which differ enough from mine to create issues at points.
    Yes, this was based off of one of the maps in the Tome. The Island of Tariga. I'll show you. I think I did a fair job of laying symbols over the fill to obscure some of the partial farmlands (although I am not pleased with the marshlands). I'm most proud of the mountains; but if you think I did a poor job with those please let me know, ok? Any criticism at all will help.

Thanks!

LLAP

Nacon4
  • Not bad at all! I wouldn't have made my forests so blocky, but other than that, really good job :-D
  • Posted By: LadieStormNot bad at all! I wouldn't have made my forests so blocky, but other than that, really good job :-D
    Thank you, M'LadieStorm! And, at the risk of seeming like a complete imbecile, can you tell me what style that this manner of map is? I keep reading of other mapmakers making maps in certain styles; and I think this is one of them, but I have no knowledge of any of them. Could you please tell me which this one is?

LLAP

Nacon4
  • This style is the standard CC3 Overland style map.
  • Posted By: LoreleiThis style is the standard CC3 Overland style map.
    @Lorelei, thank you. I will remember that! :)

LLAP

Nacon4