Verdithian City - a first attempt at a large CD3 City

Hi all,

A while back I posted my first effort at an overland map using CC3+ software, "Khalkaereon" (and posted my efforts on this forum: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4825&page=1#Item_18

Here's a snapshot of the pertinent area of my main Khalkaereon map, indicating the location of Verdithian:

Well that map proved to be a huge success in my RPG campaign, and now nearly twelve months into the campaign they are about to make their first visit to Verdithian, the capital city of Jansswerd. So I bit the bullet and gave City Designer a go. I must say, it was great fun - so much so that I thought I'd post a piccy of my efforts on here. since the last time I did the constructive criticism I received was extremely helpful.

So here it is, Khalkaereon's jewel in the crown, the City of Verdithian (a more detailed close-up is included further down this thread). Enjoy :)

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Wow! A lot of work and effort became a nice city.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    As someone who loved your campaign map, I can honestly say that you haven't lost your touch. This looks really good. I don't have a lot of time so I'll pop on again later in the week, hopefully, when I have a chance to give it the attention it deserves and, possibly, provide more considered feedback and helpful. But I think your players are in for a real treat!

One thing that does jump out at me right now are your cool waterfalls. But it appears the water is falling from north (top) to south (bottom) of the map, is that the case? If so, you may want to move the foamy, churning water to the bottom of the falls.

The cliffs came out excellently, by the way. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Hello, and congratulation for this map. It sure took a hell of a time! I tried to click on it to get a better view, but this took me to an advertising for photobucket, but not to the image itself.

I just have a small comment for now: Your water texture seem to repeat a little bit too much, do you think you could enlarge it a bit, and maybe mix it with another to avoid this effect?
  • First of all thanks for all the positive comments, they mean a lot. And yeah... upside down waterfall symbols. D'OH!

Secondly, photobucket doesn't seem to be playing ball with respect to the larger version of the map so let's try OneDrive instead:

• edited September 2016
    Well, that seems to be working OK at my end (let me know it it's not visible now)

Assuming that's OK, I'll also post one of the explanatory sections I'll be giving to my players about (in my mind at least) the most interesting region in the City - the dark-shaded slum in the middle of the map known to the residents of Verdithian as "The Understair"... for reasons which will become clear.

The Understair is the unwanted underbelly of Verdithian, a graveyard of hopes and dreams and a lawless den of criminality. Its location, in a broad canyon cut into the cliffs dividing upper and lower Verdithian and situated directly below the gargantuan mechanics of the famed Waterstair, also mean that it is in almost constant shadow and subject to an almost mystically ever-present fine mist and drizzle. In short, a hellishly damp and dark slum which has been a perpetual thorn in the side of Verdithian's reputation as Jansswerd's capital and premier city.

Home to the most poor and desparate of Verdithian's populace, the Understair is home to the worst of Verdithian's criminal society. Beyond the Understair, almost all of the rest of Verdithian is well-policed, but neither the constabulary nor the militia dare patrol the streets and alleyways of the Understair. Instead, the only policing of the Understair is by the leave of its assorted criminal organisations, whose loosely-organised gangs of local thugs and enforcers (known to locals as the “Culvert Rats”) keep things from descending into chaos, although their concept of keeping order is as capricious as it is arbitrary.

Walking through the damp avenues of the Understair is an experience in and of itself – even its main streets are no more than 10-15 feet wide and perpetually coated in a thin film of mud, and you cannot walk far without being required to navigate a rickety plank bridge crossing one of the many brooks and streams which criss-cross the whole Understair. The oppressive atmosphere is exacerbated by the shadows cast by the Waterstair and the patches of mist which cling to hollows and alleyways, and made even worse by the majority of buildings being constructed of wooden planks and struts which are constantly warping and rotting in the humid atmosphere and result in buildings often leaning out over the walkways.

The Understair is not lifeless, however. In addition to its dense (and sullen) human population, both flora and fauna which thrive in shady, damp atmospheres are common. Even trees and shrubs appear across the Understair, although instead of providing respite from the dark oppresiveness of the area, the nature of the flora (often dark, twisted swamp-trees and thornbushes) actual add to the darkly gothic, desolate nature of the Understair itself. Long term residents also know better than to try and eradicate the numberless rats, carrion crows, swamp snakes and bugs that they are forced to share their everyday lives with.

All that being said, and despite its damp, diseased squalour, the Understair nonetheless maintains a society of sorts, and a surprising number of its long-term denizens even hold an affection and a strange kind of loyalty to their “urban swamp” (as one of the city's magistrates once described it). As one insightful tramp once observed, living in the Understair may mean that you are among the poorest residents of Verdithian… but, given how the Understair is actively avoided by all of Verdithian's law enforcement, it also means you are among its most free.

Key to Major Landmarks in the Understair in the next post.
  • Key to Major Landmarks in the Understair

1. The Lower (1a) and Upper (1b) Waystations for the Waterstair. The Waterstair represents the pinnacle of Verdithian engineering, as boats of all sizes navigate a series of tiered canals, locks, water elevators and lifts to transport them from Lower to Upper Verdithian with minimal effort. Looking up from the ground in the Understair, the stone edifices that make up the many different levels of the Waterstair block out over 80% of the sky.

2. In addition to the two Waystations, seven other massive stone columns (40 feet by 40 feet base) are spread around the Understair. As well as providing support to the Waterstair structure, these columns channel overflow water down from the Waterstair to ground level, resulting in wide deep pools at the base of each (and which feed the numerous wide streams that run throughout the Understair). Given the natural cooling effect of this water channelling, the columns were the natural choice to contain the furnaces which power the mechanical components of the Waterstair. As such, the evaporation of water from the warm column surfaces contribute to the overall humnidity of the Understair, and the smoke stacks protruding from their sides to the pervading grime and filth.

3. The manmade lake to the south of the Understair was built to ease transit to and from the lower Waterstair waystation. Its population of fish and aquatic flora also make it one of the primary sources of food for the small, ramshackle but essential fleet of fishing boats used by the inhabitants of the Understair. The Verdithian militia grudgingly allow these boats to fish the waters of the lake, but keep careful watch from militia-manned towers which stretch along the rather flimsy fence which runs along the northern shores of the lake.

4. The western (4a) and eatern (4b) “land borders” of the Undrerstair are well-staffed by members of the Verdithian militia, and the rest of Verdithian are supposedly well “protected” from the “ruffians” of the Understair by a fifteen foot high stone wall and portcullis gate and a rather smelly moat. That being said, it is an unspoken fact that the criminal gangs of the Understair employ a network of tunnels, swimmers and concealed rafts that give them virtually free access to and from the Understair, so although the official Understair gates are staffed, the regular guards are, to say the least, less than enthusiastic in pursuing their duties.

5. If you die in the Understair, you stay in the Understair, and if anyone bothers to take care of your body (rather than leaving it to the rats or crows or kicking it into the lake) you will end up in the rather oddly named “Moangrove”, the Understair's pauper cemetery. Not everyone calling the Moangrove home is dead, however, as at the base of the cliffs at the rear of the cemetery can be found the Hospice of Jenata, a group of half-ruined buildings maintained by the Holy Order of Jenata who have taken vows to spend their lives caring for the terminally ill and plague-ridden. Well, it cetainly cuts down on the distance you need to drag the dead bodies…

6. In most cities, the criminal gang leaders at least make a pretense of camouflaging their activities and headquarters. Not in the Understair – the largest and most luxurious (by Understair standards at least) house in the district is the epicentre of its criminal organisation and home to an enigmatic figure known as “the Marshman”, a man universally recognised as the Kingpin of the Understair's criminal underworld but whose identity remains a mystery to all but his closest lieutenants.

7. Only the crazy or foolish choose to live in the Understair. The famous (infamous?) archetypal steampunk “mad inventor” Heinrich von Kimbelmimblenumpmann is universally acclaimed as being both. His home, workshop and “gadgeterium” in the Understair do allow him a freedom of experimentation he would not be granted anywhere else in Khalkaereon, however, so there is perhaps a modicum of method in his madness.

8. There are a number of small taverns and speakeasies scattered throughout the Understair, but the biggest, roughest and most popular by far is the centrally located “The Mossy Strumpet”, jointly owned and run by the unlikely partnership of Hitoshi Nakayama (a disgraced one-eyed Fentarian Ronin samurai), Phlydia the Impetuous (an Arcane Sorceress ejected from the Guild of Arcane Mages for reasons unknown) and Kragg (an intelligent stone golem with a penchant for chess, costume jewellery and philosophy).

9. Just north of the Mossy Strumpet lies the Understair Market. Under the unofficial protection of the triumvirate of tavern owners, it is probably the safest place in all of the Understair to shop openly. As well as the usual groceries and sundries, the brazen lawlessness of the Understair mean that the marketplace can often be found to openly stock illegal items of all kinds. An open-air public black market, if you will. The market is open during daylight hours every other day.

10. Next to the Marshman's Mansion, the Church of Illarian (Goddess of the Dusk and Dawn and Patroness of Hopeless Causes) is the best-kept building in the district – most probably due in no small part to the Marshman being rumoured to have an unspecified link to the clergy of the Illarian church.

11. Mother Githka's apothecary and herbarium. Mother Githka is one of the oldest residents of the Understair, maybe even THE oldest. But she isn't a witch. Oh deary me, no.

12. The main fishing docks of the Understair, where the majority of the fishing fleet are moored, and the “Baith and Tackhole” - which doubles as a fish market and fishing supplies shop, and owned and run by “Ol' Spratt”, a spritely old gent who is both an itinerant gossip and among the best sources of local information in the whole Understair.

13. Slackmann's Way. Next to the Understair market, this is the main commercial area of the Understair (with the advantage of being open every day). The main shops include Kleiner's Butchery (just don't ask where the meat came from), Luther's Ironmonger, the Bouncing Bonnet (tailor and hat shop), The Musty Seam (a bookstore and scribe), The Swamp (a extremely seedy tavern), The Goldscraper (the largest pawnshop and money lender in the Understair) and a number of small sell-anythings, whose ownership is in constant flux.

14. The Three Crones. Not actual crones, but rather three huge, ancient intertwined trees that supposedly pre-date Verdithian itself. Rumour has it that the trees are both evil and magical (a strong enough rumour to cause most Understair residents to give them a wide berth), but that there is apparently a grove contained in their centre that contains “allman's desire”, whatever that is. Rumour also has it that no one who has tried to penetrate that grove has ever been seen again.

15. The Lion and Lamb Flophouse, open to all vagrants and homeless of the Understair. Also the home of Glenister Purforian, a middle-aged former renowned adventurer and hero of the Verdithian army who, for reasons of his own, decided to move to the Understair and open the Lion and Lamb.

16. “The Great Nawab's Imaginarium”. A shop, run by a jolly, fat, red-faced little man who claims to be a former Sage to the Great Ibn Satr himself, but who now owns and runs a shop which stocks and sells the most bizarre trinkets, oddments and strange devices both mechanical and magical. How he makes a living in the Understair – not to mention WHY – remain a mystery to everyone, but he somehow seems to get by comfortably enough. Weirdo.
  • Some more details on the regions within Verdithian now, starting with Lower Verdithian (the part of the city at the base of the huge cliffs that separate the upper and lower halves of the map).

First of all, a low resolution annotated map to identify the regions:

Explanations of the different regions will follow in subsequent comments.
  • edited September 2016
    1. The Shanty - Residential (LC) – 100%

Not everyone is granted entry to Verdithian, for a number of reasons. Equally, not everyone refused entry wants to go elsewhere. Those few hardy (or foolish) souls barred from entry, primarily through Wistingate, have over many years formed a “settlement” of their own, a ramshackle conglomeration of huts and basic amenities that has come to be known as “The Shanty”. While distinctly rough at the edges, rather dusty and by no means the height of luxury, the residents of The Shanty police themselves well so, while most definitely a lower class area, The Shanty is no slum.

While not encouraged by the Verdithian authorities, the existence of The Shanty is tolerated. Somewhere for people to rest in relative comfort and safety while waiting for entry papers to be signed is actually quite useful, and equally the powers that be recognise that, should a potential visitor be angered at refusal of entry, it is better for them to let off steam at the Mudpit (a converted barn which serves as The Shanty’s largest “inn”) than pound their fists in frustration on a closed gate.

++++++

2. Wistingate - Military – 50%/ Transport –50%

The main egress to Verdithian from land trade routes to the south, including the Borderway (the name given to the wide but often treacherous southern land route to Ennisport and the south coast, which crosses the River Drakken east-west via a large bridge just south of Lake Bluecrystal), Wistingate is the second-busiest of Verdithian’s barbican gate complexes.

Wistingate has the same structure as Verdithian’s three other main gates. A large outer barbican contains both a massive portcullis and huge steel-reinforced gates. The inner courtyard serves as a garrison for the Wistingate guard contingent, stabling facilities for city visitors, and a checkpoint for incoming and outgoing trade traffic. The inner barbican also contains a portcullis but no gate, although the inner barbican roof is designed to be collapsed in an emergency (without affecting the structural integrity of the barbican itself) to completely block the passage in an emergency.

++++++

3. The Spine - Transport – 100%

“The Spine” is a well-maintained, 20-30 ft wide highway, consisting of well-fitting granite blocks inlaid with marble and obsidian, and is both well-lit with gas streetlamps along its entire length and fitted with a highly effective drainage system.

The Spine is the best-kept road in all of Verdithian, and with good reason. Starting at Wistingate and ending at Magegate, it snakes through every main commercial region of Verdithian and has the largest and best bridge-crossings of both Verdithian’s canal system and the River Drakken. It touches the inner courtyards of all of Verdithian’s main gates, and enables anyone not rich or well-connected enough to be able to use the Waterstair to traverse between Upper and Lower Verdithian via Rhorhgar’s Rise.

++++++

4. The Grainery - Commercial (Agriculture) – 50% / Residential (LC) – 50%

The lands south of Verdithian, on both banks of the Drakken, are among the most fertile in the whole of Jansswerd and the main source of wheat and corn for the residents of Verdithian. To the west of Wistingate, The Grainery gets its common name from the large grain warehouse complex which hugs the high southern wall – being constantly in shadow from the high walls both morning and afternoon sun helps keep the grain cool even in summer months. The military presence on the southern walls of Verdithian spend as much time keeping a wary eye out for grain thieves within as they do keeping watch over the Shanty.

The houses to the immediate north and west of the warehouses are typical lower class Verdithian dwellings – small but sturdy, with a large population of agricultural workers. Crime rate is relatively low, and overall The Grainery is, albeit rather cramped and unremarkable, one of Verdithian’s safer residential areas.

++++++

5. Cragshadow - Residential (LC) – 100%

Nestling against the Great Crag, despite its rather foreboding name, Cragshadow is a relatively unremarkable and peaceful Lower Class residential neighbourhood. Containing as it does no major trade routes or locations of significance, life in Cragshadow is considerably less eventful than can be said in most other areas of Verdithian, and as a result its population contains a large proportion of older residents and artistic types, who prefer the quiet contemplative atmosphere of Cragshadow to Verdithian’s other more “exciting” potential delights.

++++++

6. The Circus - Residential (LMC) – 60%/ Entertainment – 40%

Another primarily residential area, albeit a little livelier than Cragshadow, The Circus gets its name from the Verdithian Coliseum found therein. The Coliseum itself as a large Arena where jousts, chariot races and gladiatorial-style combat tournaments take place, along with other less bloody popular events such as agricultural shows and, annually, a quirky festival consisting of cake-cooking competitions whose entrants are almost exclusively ex-fighting champions and military heroes. The “Great Brutish Bake Off” is one of the highlights of the year…

To the west of the Coliseum is Circusplatz, an open-air communal space which is home year-round to a number of “circus-style” stalls and attractions and where street performers can be found throughout the year. The four areas of parkland scattered around the Coliseum are popular and safe place for family outings and picnics from the largely lower-middle class residents of The Circus and surrounding regions alike.

++++++

7. Altengarten - Residental (LC) - 100%

A long, thin residential region sandwiched between the Circus and The Duskflow (the rather poetic name given to the westernmost of Verdithian’s major trade canals), Altengarten is home to a large number of market & canal workers who can afford to live outside the main commercial regions themselves.

++++++

8. Haravel’s Spur - Residential (LMC) – 50% / Military – 40% / Religious – 10%

East of Wistingate, and stretching out to the shores of Lake Bluecrystal and the peninsula with which the region shares it’s name, a large proportion of the Spur’s lower-middle class population consists of ex-military and ex-militia retirees. This is understandable, given the region’s main landmarks:

At the easternmost end of Haravel’s Spur lies the main garrison for Verdithian’s over-worked and commendably corruption-free (for the most part at least) militia, who are charged with both policing the streets of Verdithian and responding to incidents of unrest among its populace anywhere within the city walls. Well, anywhere except the Understair… or the King’s Roost… or the Nowhere… alight MOST places within the City Wall, OK?

Just west of the garrison complex is Kurtelplatz, a plaza dedicated to memorial buildings for the Jansswerd military (not just the militia), while further to the west is a large temple to the Goddess Morwena (Patroness of Faith, Grief & Healing).

One addition fact worthy of note is that the Verdithian militia serve a dual role of policing the waters in and around all of the docks on Lake Bluecrystal; hence the military docks attached to the garrison’s castle keep.

++++++

9. & 10.: Westspill and Eastspill - Residential (Slum) – 100%

Both densely populated and less than welcoming conurbations of cramped, poorly-kept housing, the “typical” slum neighbourhoods of Westspill and Eastspill are sufficiently alike as to be described together. Home to those poor and/or destitute Verdithian residents down on their luck and unable to find either work or better prospects elsewhere in the City, and even given the relative lawlessness of their neighbourhoods, the inhabitants of Westspill/Eastspill are often nonetheless surprisingly upbeat and positive – since whatever their situations, at least they have managed to avoid living in the Understair…
  • edited September 2016
    11. The Understair - Residential (Slum) – 100%

(see earlier detailed comment concerning the Understair)

+++++++++++

12a & 12b The Waterstair - None (transport)

The Lower (12a) and Upper (12b) Waystations for the Waterstair. The Waterstair represents the pinnacle of Verdithian engineering, as boats of all sizes navigate a series of tiered canals, locks, water elevators and lifts to transport them from Lower to Upper Verdithian with minimal effort. Looking up from the ground in the Understair, the stone edifices that make up the many different levels of the Waterstair block out over 80% of the sky.

In addition to the two Waystations, seven other massive stone columns (40 feet by 40 feet base) are spread around the Understair. As well as providing support to the Waterstair structure, these columns channel overflow water down from the Waterstair to ground level, resulting in wide deep pools at the base of each (and which feed the numerous wide streams that run throughout the Understair). Given the natural cooling effect of this water channelling, the columns were the natural choice to contain the furnaces which power the mechanical components of the Waterstair. As such, the evaporation of water from the warm column surfaces contribute to the overall humidity of the Understair, and the smoke stacks protruding from their sides to the pervading grime and filth of that region.

+++++++++++

13a & 13b - Duskflow & Dawnflow - Transport – 100%

Given that the region of Jansswerd north of Verdithian has a much sparser population than the area south of the Great Crag (particularly given its vulnerability to incursions from the Source Wastes), and a much lower utilisation for both agriculture and industry, the north-south trade route through Verdithian is a highly lucrative one due to trade with both Drakenhold and the Norse-like people of Asgramor. And given how treacherous land routes north of Verdithian can be, travel via the mighty River Drakken as far as Drakenhold is by far the preferred trade method. Hence the value of both the Waterstair and the highly efficient canal system in Lower Verdithian, allowing easy transport of goods to Lake Bluecrystal and the Lower Drakken River beyond, all the way to Ennisport and the southern oceans.

The two main canals, both 30 feet wide and 20 feet deep (rectangular cross-section) to allow even large barges to sail two abreast, are extremely well-maintained. The westernmost canal (13a) is known as Duskflow, and usually restricted to canal traffic heading north, i.e. originating in Lake Bluecrystal. The easternmost canal (13b), Dawnflow, carries boats heading south. The large bridges which arch over both Duskflow and Dawnflow allow even tall-masted craft to pass underneath them – the same cannot be said of the smaller local network, which connects Duskflow and Dawnflow to the floating markets of Middenmarkt.

+++++++++++

14. South Weighside - Commercial (trade) – 80% / Residential (LC) – 20%

Consisting primarily of the dock region on the southern shores of the man-made lake at the foot of the Waterstair lower waystation, while South Weighside contains a few commercial warehouses and premises and a smattering of lower class housing, it is mainly a holding area for canal traffic either waiting to enter or emerging from the Waterstair lower waystation. As such, while South Weighside is a busy region, most of the people found there are just passing through on their way to somewhere else.

That being said, there is usually a larger-than-normal militia presence in South Weighside, primarily in order to discourage easy travel and transport of illegal goods between the region and the Understair.

+++++++++++

15. Middenmarkt - Commercial (trade) – 80% / Residential (LC) – 20%

Stretching from Duskflow in the west to Dawnflow in the east, Middenmarkt is by no small distance the busiest region in the whole of Verdithian. Almost all of the commercial ventures of any note across the whole of Jansswerd have branches and offices within Middenmarkt, which given its easy access to all primary routes through Verdithian, both by land and by water, is no surprise. Almost all of its small residential population live and work within the confines of the Middenmarkt region.

The focus of almost all trade within Middenmarkt is contained within the Golden Circle, a roughly hexagonal road system which runs around the centre of Middenmarkt and provides the only road crossings for the local canals within its borders. And at the centre of the Golden Circle sits the largest market complex in the whole of Khalkaereon – in turn split into the network of floating market stalls and shops in the triangular canal-borne Wassermarkt to the north, and the more traditional but no less bustling cobbled Altenplaza to the south. Lower Verdithian’s best tavern and inn, the Scarlet Flagon, overlooks Altenplaza from the south from the other side of The Spine.

If you want something, if it is legal (or sometimes not-so…), and you know where to look, then you too can hire the A-team...er, sorry, I mean that the chances are that you will find it somewhere in Middenmarkt.

+++++++++++

16. The Old Docks - Commercial (trade) – 75% / Residential (LC) – 25%

The majority of commercial traffic to and from Verdithian directly (rather than just passing through), and all of the waterborne supplies for Lower Verdithian itself, is handled in the busy Old Docks. Major trade companies have offices here as well as extensive warehouses, and over 90% of the residential population are sailors, river merchants or dock-workers. Verdithian’s most notorious tavern (outside the Understair) sits on the waterside – the infamous Rum and Drum.

+++++++++++

17. Wytchcopse - Residential (MC) – 75% / Other (special) – 25%

Most Verdithian families regarded as “middle class and above” make their homes in Upper, not Lower, Verdithian. For that reason, on first inspection Wytchcopse, a region containing a number of large, pleasant houses with (for Verdithian) ample with such low house prices seems like a blessing for those families with position and status but who have fallen onto financially harder times. And a blessing it would be, were it not for the curse…

Just shy of two hundred years ago, the centre of Wytchcopse was a green and pleasant patch of woodland owned by the rich and influential De Groener family, a noble house with links to the original architects of Verdithian and who had been granted estate lands within the boundaries of the city by way of thanks for their roles in founding the city. But then during one Autumn everything changed almost overnight.

The woodland copse shed its leaves over the course of one night, the ground went hard and cold and frost appeared on all the ground and branches alike. At the same time, the palatial De Groener house burst into flames – an unnatural, blue fire that engulfed the dwelling and turned its walls black. The residents of Wytchcopse (which at the time was known as Groenerstadt) fled in panic, and despite rescue attempts by the militia and others no one emerged alive from the De Groener house – in fact, no one who managed to penetrate the wall of blue flame ever came out. By the morning, the fire was out but the unnatural frost remained, and impromptu barricades were erected to prevent any further investigation of the site. Following attempts at divination (at a distance!) from the Guild of Source Mages, the barricades were soon replaced by a 30 foot high sturdy stone wall with towers, ramparts… and no gate. To this day, the ramparts are still manned by a specialist contingent of Paladins of Gaia and Arcane Blades working together, and the area within its walls remains forbidden territory, with trespass, if discovered, punishable by death.

These days, the majority of the residents of Wytchcopse live their lives paying little attention to the seemingly cursed woodland in their midst (although wiser residents do still avoid getting too close to it’s walls). The copse itself has seemingly remained quiet and dormant since the Night of Blue Fire, although it has been observed that the winter months tend to arrive earlier, hit harder, and end later in Wytchcopse than anywhere else within the city walls.

+++++++++++

18. Ol’ Smokey - Residential (LC/Slum) – 100%

A lower class residential area, so dusty and grimy as to be considered almost a slum area, Ol’ Smokey’s population almost exclusively works within The Stacks. Even with the prevailing wind being west to east, the thermals formed above the chimney stacks of Verdithian’s industrial hub leave a thin film of soot over the rooftops of Ol’ Smokey, hence the name.

+++++++++++
  • edited September 2016
    19. The Stacks - Industrial/Steampunk – 100%
    Although the Steampunk capital of Khalkaereon is without doubt the independent City State of Riftspan, Verdithian is not completely bereft of industrial artifice and industry, and almost all of it is concentrated in the Lower Verdithian ward known to all as “The Stacks” (after its numerous tall, soot-encrusted chimneys). It was here that the various component parts of the Waterstair were constructed, so given that edifice’s major role in elevating Verdithian’s status across the known world, The Stacks is held in high regard (and even affection) in the eyes of a large proportion of Verdithian’s population, who readily forgive the pollution and noise that pour from its factories, workshops, warehouses & gadgeteria.

The effects of The Stacks’s pollution on the rest of Verdithian is mitigated by a number of factors, some geographical, some environmental and some by design. The prevailing winds across Khalkaereon tend to be west to east with a slight southern tendency, causing most of the smoke from The Stacks to blow out over Lake Bluecrystal and disperse. There is a certain amount of “blowback” which falls mainly on Ol’ Smokey, and The Stacks has its own docks that helps restrict pollution carried by boats and loading/unloading traffic alike to remain within its vicinity. The only other region of Verdithian that occasionally falls victim to soot fall from the Stacks is Lizard Point to the east… but then, Dreggs are dirty enough already, so who cares about a few extra layers of soot, eh?

+++++++++++

20. Mistfall - Residential (LC) – 90% / Commercial (various) – 10%

Mistfall would be an entirely unremarkable lower class residential area of Verdithian, were in not for its uniquely “moist” atmosphere. I’ll say it again (because I know so many people hate the word), it’s very “moist” here.

The River Drakken, after leaving Lake Deepharbour in Upper Verdithian, winds its way through The Mossbanks before falling over 150 feet via the majestic Verdithian Falls and then continuing to wind its way through Lower Verdithian to Lake Bluecrystal. Given the west-east winds mentioned previously, this (together with overspill from the eastern portion of the Mossbanks trickling down the Great Crag) results in Mistfall being almost continuously subjected to fine spray and mist from the waterfall. The effects do get less, however, the further east within Mistfall you travel. Next to the Understair, this makes Mistfall the moistest area in Verdithian (that isn’t actually a lake or a river… or a canal… or a swamp… oh bugger this).

For this reason, despite it being a fairly poor lower class area, the buildings are among the sturdiest stone structures in Verdithian – it was long since discovered that any attempts to build and maintain wooden structures in such a… moist atmosphere. Most people only pass through Mistfall quickly, even residents preferring to reach the relative dryness of their own homes rather than linger in the slick, mossy streets.

Mistfall is also (in)famous for one more reason. The combination of almost empty streets populated by people who barely look up from the road, situated privately away from any major trade routes, and with thick-walled stone houses making eavesdropping extremely difficult, meant that it was soon earmarked by the less savoury elements of Verdithian’s society as the ideal location for Verdithian’s red light district. Indeed, the lane immediately to the south and east of Verdithian Falls is known to all and sundry as “The Red Mist”.

Told you it was moist here…

+++++++++++

21. Rhorhgar’s Rise - Transport – 100%

The Waterstair is not the only way to travel between Upper and Lower Verdithian, but it is certainly the most convenient and comfortable.

For those without access to a boat or unwilling (or unable) to use the Waterstair the only other option is to take Rhorhgar’s Rise, a massive man-made ramp consisting of huge excavated blocks of granite and limestone, with the highway running up its spine being made up of alternating steep (but traversable) ramps and section of stairs (with pulley and block and tackle assemblies to allow wagons to be transported up or down).

Rhorhgar’s Rise’s apparently complicated travel arrangements are due to the fact that a simple, shallow ramp would (a) have completely depleted Jansswerd’s stockpiled granite stores at a time when it was needed for construction of the rest of the City, and (b) would have resulted in a ramp protruding beyond the shoreline, over a hundred feet into Lake Bluecrystal itself.

Travelling between Upper and Lower Verdithian via Rhohrgar’s Rise is therefore tiring but relatively straightforward for foot traffic, but a real trial of patience for those with wagons, horses or large amounts of baggage. Despite these challenges, and although since surpassed by the elegance and utility of the Waterstair, it should be noted that the engineering required to construct the ramp meant that at the time of its construction Rhorhgar’s Rise was heralded as a wonder of its age.

+++++++++++

22. Gendthausen - Residential (LC) – 90% / Commercial (trade) – 10%

A large, spread-eagled residential area between Rhohrgar’s Rise and Ostergate, if ever there were a stereotypical “normal” lower class residential area within Verdithian, then Gendthausen would qualify. It has it’s own small local market square, and a Temple of Raurkoth, Patron of Commerce, Luck (good and bad) and Good Quality Confectionery (go figure…), but other than that it can be considered as a benchmark for Verdithian as a whole – average crime rate, quite busy but not overly so, average population density, averzzzzzzz (yawn).

Summary: Gendthausen is boring, move on, nothing to see here…

+++++++++++

23. Ostergate - Transport – 100%

Ostergate oversees traffic arriving from the Great Eastern Tradeway, a land route that connects Verdithian to the Fentarian border towns of Aylesbury/Kameda, as well as granting access via other routes to the heartland towns of central Jansswerd and the City State of Riftspan – albeit transport to the latter is primarily waterborne along the Royal Canal which runs between Lake Bluecrystal and Riftspan.

+++++++++++

24. - "Nowhere" - Special – 100%

Until just over fifty years ago an uninteresting northern spur of Gendthausen district, “Nowhere” is worthy of special note, despite its unassuming name. Before it became Nowhere, the only feature within the area of any interest was the Tower of Laroth – Laroth being a retired Arcane Mage and hero of the Dregg Incursion defences, and whose war heroics meant that he was respected and trusted enough by the people and authorities of Verdithian to be allowed to retire to Verdithian and live his last years in peace in a purpose-built tower in Gendthausen.

This subsequently turned out to be a rather bad idea.

Fifty two years ago, on an otherwise uninspiring Spring day, Nowhere was born. The Tower of Laroth vanished for around ten seconds before returning from… wherever it had disappeared to. Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Nowhere, the magical energy required to cause the Tower to wink out of existence, even for a short time, drained every part of the surroundings of the Tower of all semblance of Source Magic… and life. The ground shrivelled to lifeless dust, as did every living person, creature and plant in the area. Even wooden elements of the surrounding houses were blackened and reduced to charcoal as is subjected to massive heat, although no flames were observed. For days, the same instant destruction by forces unseen and unknown continued to be inflicted on any and all that crossed the line of destruction that marked its borders. A wall was erected to cut the area off in double-quick time and is still guarded to this day.

These days, Nowhere can be entered safely (albeit with a few dark looks from the militia guarding its border wall). The Tower of Laroth remains, although Laroth himself has not been seen since the incident and the doors to the Tower cannot be breached by normal means, sealed as they are (presumably) with strong magic. No plants grow anywhere in Nowhere, and no animals, birds or even insects enter the region by choice. The final artefact of whatever caused the “Nowhere Event” is the most curious – the area is dead to all magic. No spells can be cast, no magical items will operate, and any wizard or spell-user entering Nowhere is drained of all his/her remaining spell power instantly as if all their spells had been cast for the day.

+++++++++++

25. Lizard Point - Entertainment – 20% / Residential (LC) – 30% / Special – 50%

Lizard Point, geographically, is the name given to the short, stubby peninsula which protrudes into Lake Bluecrystal at the easternmost point of the City of Verdithian. The name also applies to the district encapsulated by that peninsula, but also to the lower class residential area stretching north of the peninsula itself as far north as the Verdithian Dreggpits.

The Dreggpits serve a dual purpose, being both the location of the local pit arena where Dregg fights are staged (between Dregg slaves only or, more rarely but also more lucratively, between Dregg slaves and human challengers) and also the location of regular Dregg slave auctions.

When not fighting for public spectacle or being bought and sold, the Dregg are held at the “Dregghouse”, the slave complex located on the actual Lizard Point itself. As well as containing Dregg slave pens, this large complex boasts a large training arena, “conditioning” huts, prison facilities and its own private docks.
  • OK maybe I'm getting a bit carried away with the detail here... please let me know if you want me to continue and post details about Upper Verdithian as well. For now, I'll take a break for all the drivel I've foisted on people already to settle in... hehe
  • I haven't the time to read the location notes, but I just wanted to say you did a beautiful job with this. First time with CD3? Can't wait to see what you do after some practice. ;-)
  • Wow! Im not sure if I'm more impressed with the maps or the text!

Great job!

Bill
  • Thanks again for the kind comments everyone. So as there still seems to be some interest I'll finish off with the details about Upper Verdithian:

Key descriptions to follow
  • 26. - (The Spine, continued) - Transport – 100%

After reaching the top of Rhorhgar’s Rise, The Spine generally follows the path of Verdithian’s exterior wall via Hopgate. The “official” path of the Spine ends at Magegate, but the high quality road continues south to the Pentacliar and Jansswerdian Army Garrison.

++++++

27. – Mossbanks - Special – 100%

Between Lake Deepharbour (a naturally formed lake widened and deepened when the Waterstair was built to act as an upper staging area for trading boats, hence the name) and Verdithian Falls, the River Drakken flows wide and slow through the Mossbanks, a boggy wilderness area right in the centre of Verdithian that has been left for the most part untouched. Rather than lazy design on the part of the architects of Verdithian, this natural barrier forms a buffer zone to discourage both river and land traffic from approaching too close to the treacherous head of the falls.

Apart from a single watchtower on the eastern edge of the Verdithian Falls, the Mossbanks have been left to run wild and are home to typical swamp and bog denizens both harmless and not-so-harmless, but sturdy walls and gates separate this natural haven and its less hospitable inhabitants from their more “civilised” neighbours.

++++++

28. North Weighside - Commercial (trade) – 60% / Residential (LC) – 40%

North Weighside as a district consists of the dock region on the south-eastern shore of Lake Deepharbour, and like its counterpart in Lower Verdithian (South Weighside) is primarily designed to serve as a stop-over point for the upper Waterstair waystation. North Weighside is the larger district, however, as it also serves as a trade hub for supplies to and from almost all of Upper Verdithian outside The Isle Majestique.

Residential properties are generally occupied by lower class dock workers, and it is for this reason more than any serious security concerns that North Weighside both has a heavy militia presence and is walled off from the rest of Upper Verdithian. After all, we can’t have the riff-raff wandering around at will can we? Heaven forfend…

++++++

29. The Carafe - Residential (MC) – 60% / Entertainment – 40%

Easy access to produce from across the continent and beyond via the North Weighside docks; wagons laden with booze rolling through the Hopgate on a daily basis; situated to catch the best of the afternoon sun at the eastern end of bohemian Upper Verdithian and on the shores of Lake Deepharbour. Put all these together and is there any wonder that the Carafe became the social hub of not only Verdithian but Jansswerd as a whole.

The majority of the Carafe’s numerous eateries, taverns and entertainment establishments flank the roads laid out between Hopgate and the large entertainment complex known as “Innenhaus”. This is a large and highly popular conglomeration of high-class (and high-price) inns, gambling houses, theatres and dance halls that flank a long paved plaza, and which in turn runs down to the shore of Lake Deepharbour and beyond to more establishments built around a sturdy but stylish extended pier.

++++++

30. Tobenstadt - Residential (MC) – 80% / Other (fine arts) – 20%

Tobenstadt (former name Feldenplatz) owes its name to Sigurd Toben, a rich benefactor and patron of the fine arts who, three hundred years ago, bought a collection of properties within this district and bequeathed them to “the people” to be used for “artistic fulfilment”. These (largely unassuming) buildings are clustered to the immediate north of Tobenplaza, an open plaza with a fountain mounted by a statue of Sigurd Toben in the south west area of Tobenstadt. These days they consist of a mixture of galleries, studios and poetry houses.

The influence of the Tobenplaza Galleries can also be felt across the rest of Tobenstadt, as a significant proportion of the largely middle class population living in Tobenstadt are of an artistic bent – poets, painters, sculptors, actors and other “celebrities” equally as vacuous.

Artistic experimentation is rife in Tobenstadt, as evidenced by a large house on its eastern edge where volunteers live out their lives as part of a “living installation” in full view of visitors who are free to watch them from upper galleries. The purpose of the installation is supposedly to allow its inhabitants to achieve “serene spiritual enlightenment” through divesting themselves of their egos. Sadly, the majority of volunteers in the “Big Buddha House” seem to have missed the point…

++++++

31. Hopgate - Military – 50% / Transport – 50%

Another gate complex identical in construction to those in Lower Verdithian, traffic through Hopgate is much lighter than is southern, lower elevation cousins. The only main trade route is to Drakkenwald Keep, but the rich, well-drained soil just east of Verdithian itself is ideal for growing both hops and orchard fruits. As a result, numerous small vineyards and farm-based breweries have sprung up in the area and the majority of trade goods entering the City through the Hopgate are therefore of an alcoholic nature – hence the name.

++++++

32. - Manneheim - Residential (MC) – 80% / Religious – 20%

Were it not for the presence of Verdithian’s largest public temple, the impressive Parthenon of Kalleros (Patron and Protector of Jansswerd and God of Duty, Courage and Endurance), Manneheim is to Upper Verdithian what Gendthausen is to Lower Verdithian, i.e. a stereotypically average middle class neighbourhood which is a perfectly “nice” place to live provided you enjoy being perpetually bored.
  • All of the following 6 districts (33-38) are often considered together as the “Isle Majestique”. While not an island in any actual proper sense, these districts are nonetheless geographically isolated from the rest of Upper Verdithian by virtue of being surrounded by the River Drakken to the north, Lake Deepharbour to the east, the Great Crag to the south, and the edge of the Royal Escarpment (another elevated plateau bordered by cliffs) to the west. The Isle Majestique is home to Verdithian’s richest and most privileged citizens, as well as being both the seat of the Imperial Palace and the location of almost of Verdithian’s civil and diplomatic infrastructure. Its borders are watched day and night with restricted access to all but known and identified residents and those on official (and verified) business, and even the least secure areas within the Isle Majestique are well-policed.

++++++

33. The Royal Step - Residential (UMC) – 70% / Commercial (trade) – 10% / Other (education) – 20%

Whether The Royal Step gained its name for practical reasons (it is, after all, the “first step” for anyone physically travelling to the Imperial Palace) or ironic (many of the upper middle class families living therein often harbouring plans to “step up” to nobility in the future) is unknown. What is known is that once you have made it to a life in The Royal Step and beyond, the chances are that your financial worries are over. All you have to worry about now are the social backstabbing and political intrigues that are part and parcel of life among Verdithian’s elite. Oh joy…

The tree-lined avenues and immaculate houses of The Royal Step are impressive – and the omnipresent Isleguard (the Isle Majestique’s own elite militia) ensure both the safety of inhabitants and the behaviour of visitors (and the Isleguard have an uncanny instinct for being able to sniff out “strangers” among the citizenry of The Royal Step and other Isle Majestique districts.

Landmarks within The Royal Step include the Verdithian Academy, a collection of large and beautifully constructed buildings dedicated to learning, laid out in a circle surrounding a large plaza with the Royal Archives (Khalkaereon’s foremost library and scriptorium) at its centre. Just to the east of the Academy is a much smaller square with a fountain at its centre and Verdithian’s most exclusive and luxurious inn, The Sky Cow’s Blood Organ (which owes its rather curious name to a calamitous attempt at translating “The Dragon’s Heart” into the local language by its original Asgramorian owner). Finally, in the southwestern corner of The Royal Step, hugging the base of the cliffs directly below the Imperial Palace, lies the delightful Empress Gardens park.

++++++

34. Silver Landing - Commercial (trade) – 100%

Almost all of the luxury items destined for inhabitants of the Isle Majestique arrive via the well-policed docks situated in Silver Landing, with most of the dock workers arriving via militia barges at the start and end of their shifts rather than living locally.

Just north and inland of the docks, a pretty marketplace and a collection of luxury trading establishments provide the most exclusive shopping experience in all of Verdithian… bloody hell this is starting to sound like a travel brochure!

++++++

35. Sapphire Alley - Residential (UC) – 100%

The location of the largest and most expensive residential homes in all of Verdithian, only the oldest, richest and most respected of all of Verdithian’s noble houses live along the rather understatedly named Sapphire “Alley”, which runs east-west along the southern border of the Isle Majestique (and ironically would look directly down onto the Understair if it were not for rows of strategically placed trees to the south).

The northern edge of Diamond Alley is bordered by the “Tears of the Princess” (less charitably called “The Queenpiss” by Verdithians envious of Diamond Alley’s inhabitants), a swiftly flowing stream which runs west to east, from the overspill of the Royal Pools from the Imperial Palace, eventually pouring out into Lake Deepharbour.

Despite the status of the families living there, or perhaps because of it, there are fewer Isleguard patrolling Sapphire Alley than the more densely populated Royal Step to the north. This, combined with the amount of greenery and the size of the immaculately maintained gardens along its length, makes walking along Sapphire Alley feel more like strolling along a country lane than a road in the very heart of the capital of Jansswerd.

++++++

36. The Imperial Palace - Residential (royalty) – 80% / Military – 20%

The northern spur of the Royal Escarpment, looking out over The Royal Step and beyond to the rest of Upper Verdithian, is entirely devoted to the well-being of the Emperor and his family.

The westernmost portion of the Imperial Palace is occupied by the garrison of the Imperial Personal Guard. A private temple for the sole use of the Imperial Royal Family (and the attached Royal Burial Grounds) lies further to the east before the actual Imperial Palace complex itself. The “Summer Palace” sits against the northern ramparts, and serves as accommodation for privileged royal guests as well as being a palace for “official” government and diplomatic meetings, leaving the magnificent Palace of Verdithian itself, at the easternmost end of the Imperial Palace district, for the exclusive use of the Imperial Family itself.

One feature worthy of note is that the Royal Pools, a natural lake on the southern edge of the Imperial Palace, is fed by a fast-flowing natural mineral spring which emerges as a natural “fountain” in the middle of the Royal Pools. This in turn provides a source of pure fresh water for the imperial household, as well as feeding the Tears of the Princess below via a small waterfall of its own.

++++++

37. Monarch’s Stair - Residential (UC) – 75% / Other (government) – 25%

Starting at the Isleguard’s gate garrison situated at the western end of Sapphire Alley, Monarch’s Stair rises slowly from there to the top of the Royal Escarpment’s plateau, some 80 feet or so above the rest of Upper Verdithian. The upper class residents of Monarch’s Stair are a mix of noble families and governmental residences – the houses themselves, while still highly impressive and beautifully constructed, are actually slightly smaller than those in Sapphire Alley.

The only non-residential building within Monarch’s Stair is the Cathedral of Voices. Not an actual Cathedral at all, this is the name given to the imposing seat of Verdithian’s civil government. Even more intimidating than the granite columns of the Cathedral of Voices are the three massive (120 ft) statues that stand behind it, looking watchfully back down along Monarch’s Stair towards Sapphire Alley. These statues represent (from left to right): Emperor Mandragor the Wise (first Emperor of independent Jansswerd and founder of Verdithian), Kalleros (Patron and Protector of Jansswerd and God of Duty, Courage and Endurance) and High King Janus the Almost-Certainly-Flame-Retardant (first High King of Khalkaereon and conqueror of the Mighty Flame-Breathing Draconians).

++++++

38. The Enclave - Other (special) – 100%

To the south of Monarch’s Stair, The Enclave consists of eight large, well-guarded buildings surrounding a large circular park (the Enclave Gardens). All of these buildings are uniquely constructed, architecturally striking, and together form both the diplomatic centre of Verdithian as well as the location for

The largest and most well-protected of these buildings (with its own guarded ramparts and portcullised gate to ensure the safety of its inhabitants in “difficult” times) is the Fentarian Embassy, which sits in the north east corner of the Enclave.

Continuing clockwise (initially south) from there, each building in turn is as follows:
    • The tower complex belonging to the Guild of Sages
    • The Diplomatic Mission for the Graldavian City States
    • The Kulrabian Embassy
    • The House of the Riftspan Envoy Delegation
    • Official Residence of the Royal Chancellor
    • The Asgramorian Embassy
    • The Drakenhold Ambassadorial Residence
  • 39. Apfelgarten - Residential (MC) – 100%

When Verdithian was constructed, the only resistance to its formation was from an extremely influential and powerful local feudal lord, Baron Magnus Keifel, who felt he had not been “consulted” about the capital of Jansswerd being built on his “doorstep”. Fortunately for Baron Keifel, Emperor Mandragor the Wise lived up to his name and chose the route of appeasement over forceful persuasion and granted the Keifel family its own “mini-fiefdom” within the walls of Verdithian itself. And so Apfelgarten was born.

Unique among all districts of Verdithian then, Apfelgarten is not subject to the laws and policing elsewhere within the city. Instead, all properties ostensibly belong to the Kiefel family who live within the rather quaintly named Kiefelkeep, a small castle built within Apfelgarten itself.

The decree which was signed to give the Kiefel family control over Apfelgarten does not, however, give them the power to restrict access either to or through the district itself. So, despite a slightly “odd” atmosphere within the district which can be detected if you stay long enough (the way residents always genuflect in the direction of Kiefelkeep as they pass, for example), Apfelgarten is in many ways a typical middle class residential within Upper Verdithian.

++++++

40. Magegate - Military – 50% - Transport – 50%

The last of Verdithian’s main gate complexes, Magegate gets its name from its proximity to the Bastion of Source Magic, the headquarters of all Guild of Arcane mage activity in all of Khalkaereon, located a few miles to the west of Verdithian and watched over by the Mountain Fortress of Gaia (headquarters of the Paladins of Gaia). Apart from the small number of trade caravans brave enough to travel north to Drakenhold and Asgramor via road, trade through Magegate is for the most part supplies and components of a magical variety.

++++++

41. Gardens of Nioth - Religious – 100%

The Gardens of Nioth is the name given to the cemetery contained within Verdithian’s walls, sandwiched between the western ramparts and the western cliffs of the Royal Escarpment, placing it by design in dark shadow both in early morning and late afternoon.

In addition to the well-tended graveyard and gardens of remembrance, an obsidian-clad Temple of Nioth (Goddess of Death, Redemption, Regret and Tax Collectors) is located in the north-western corner of the Gardens of Nioth.

++++++

42. Little Magisterium - Residential (MC) – 75% / Commercial (trade) – 25%

Given that the majority of magical supply trade passing through the Magegate passes through the Little Magisterium district to the Pentacliar, it is little wonder that this residential area – isolated as it is from most of the rest of Verdithian – has over the years been an attractive place to settle for failed mages, retired mages, alchemists and magical traders. “Little Magisterium” is almost a village to itself, with even the houses themselves taking on a more “gothic” demeanour as the years have passed.

The residents of Little Magisterium are wary of anyone they see as outsiders, but their acceptance is worth pursuing if you have any interest in gaining access to the best magical supply stores and sources of magical gossip outside of the closed Mage & Alchemy Guilds themselves.

++++++

43. The Pentacliar - Military – 50% / Other (magic) – 50%

The rather peculiarly named “Pentacliar” is the seat of both magical power and magical protection within Verdithian, consisting of four large, fortress-like structures surrounding a central small keep.

The buildings along the north side of the Pentacliar consist of the local garrison and representatives of the Paladins of Gaia, who keep a watchful eye to the east to their charges, the local embassy building for the Guild of Arcane Mages.

The garrison of the Order of Arcane Blades sits in the south western corner of the Pentacliar, keeping a close eye on the Circle of Gaian Mages occupying the building to the south-east.

The central keep is manned for the most part by the local militia, ostensibly to “keep the peace” among the other inhabitants of the Pentacliar (although there is little chance they would last long if serious trouble ever did erupt, as they are only too well aware). Its main purpose, however, is to act as a safe “neutral” meeting place for negotiations as and when necessary between mages and/or their “protectors”.

The only other feature of note within the Pentacliar is the only obvious way of accessing the Royal Escarpment and the rest of the Isle Majestique than taking the long way around via The Royal Step – the well-guarded and constantly watched marble staircase known as the “Knight’s Ladder”, which rises from base of the Royal Escarpment cliffs to the southern border of the Enclave.

++++++

44. Garrison of the Jansswerdian Regular Army - Military – 100%

Just outside the main city walls in the far south-western corner of Upper Verdithian lies the main garrison, stables, training facilities and parade grounds of the regular Jansswerdian army, both regular infantry and cavalry, as well as quarters for high ranking general and field staff. Despite being outside the main ramparts, the army garrison is well defended by its own stone wall, guard towers and a deep external moat.

Although a massive and powerful force, other than when on leave the soldiers of the Jansswerdian Army do not as a matter of course venture into Verdithian itself. In fact, this is actively discouraged, both due to the unsettling effect the presence of so many soldiers might have on the civilian populace, and also to avoid any jurisdictional issues with the Verdithian militia.

All that being said, the close proximity of such a large and capable garrison to the Pentacliar and the potential (however unlikely) of damaging conflict between its inhabitants is no coincidence…
  • Aaaaand I'm done :)

Just in case anyone fancies downloading originals of the illustrations and "Guide to Verdithian" to read offline, here are some links:

Full-size unannotated Verdithian Map: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTgX4jNKdZlnnvm7iw

Annotated map of Lower Verdithian: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTggFimhTTzW62NNr1

Annotated map of Upper Verdithian: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTggZQoo5oihzysGa2

Guide to the Districts of Verdithian (Lower and Upper Combined): https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTggier-Eus2Nkz0Gv

Detailed map of the Understair district: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTggB1R3pvIIA1srNc

and, for completeness, links to my original Klahlkaereon map and guide:

Map of Khalkaereon: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTgXCgD6h0fWwJIau3

Players Guid to Khalkaereon (PDF): https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai_kVPSBjwFTgXi2_tqpFbGNDRLf

+++

Have fun, and please if anyone has any comments, observations or construcive criticisms I'd always love to hear them.
  • Hi Kalthorine

I'm using your setting for my upcoming DND 5E campaign. I love your work and the base of it and I will then with my group breathe life into it and adapt it a bit to our needs.

If you got more stuff from your world coming up please let me know.