Slight Symbol Catalogue Issue

I've been noticing recently that sometimes when I open a symbol catalogue there will be one red x in what I'm opening, usually the first symbol listed in the catalogue. It's even happening with cc3+ symbol catalogues.

For example - right now I'm working on my challenge map, using cd3's Symbol set B, the classic Greek based structures. The amphitheatre, which is the first symbol in the set, is showing up as a red x, even though it was there when I opened the catalogue. If I go into the program, and go into the symbol catalogues I see that the amphitheatre is there....but when I load it, because it's the first symbol, it becomes a red x.

It doesn't matter which catalogue I open. And it doesn't happen all the time. but it's happening enough that it's starting g to become a problem.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• Oh, and I should probably tell you the conditions it's happening under. I'm creating a map that uses the tools and styles of cc3+, cd3 and dd3. I've found that I can start a map in cc3+ to make my island, then while the map is still open, switch to cd3 or dd3 to load the new drawing tools.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT how the program was intended to be used, but it works and it gives me the versatility I need to make my maps. It's sort of a no holds barred style and it works. I've been doing it for a while.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I swap from one to the other all the time. In fact I frequently forget what kind of template I'm using. I couldn't tell you, for instance if Merelan City is on an overland, dungeon or city template. I've blended aspects of all three into it.

Mind you, over the last couple of days I've also noticed this problem - but only with the new Challenge map that I most recently started.

(I thought it was just something that I was doing wrong - as I have a tendency to do! LOL
  • edited September 2016
    Hmmm....that seems to happen to me as well. I couldn't tell you how long, and it's not all my maps. Weird. Hey girls! Sorry, i've been a bit of a ghost lately. I've checked in once or twice in the past two weeks, but i've been SOOOOO busy with my real job and life stuff AND i just signed my Non-Disclosure Agreement with WizKids and have been working on some maps for them. Unfortunately, I obviously cannot post here what i am working on now, but i'll be sure to let ya'll know when they are out and available for public viewing and purchase. Anyway, if someone has an idea what and why this is....???? I'll be popping in and out all weekend. I'll be tied to my desk to finish up my prepping for mondays D&D Session/Presidential Debate Party and working on my WizKids project. Good luck to the entries in Shessar's Competition....Your maps, both of them, are awesome!! Storm, that waterfall is delicious!!!!
    edited September 2016
    Hey Lorelei :D

Great to know about the WizKids project. Congratulations!

I guess that means you won't really have time to enter the competition yourself, which is a shame :(

Unless.... and knowing your reputation for turning out masterpieces in a matter of minutes... ?

Thanks for the compliment :)
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormI've been noticing recently that sometimes when I open a symbol catalogue there will be one red x in what I'm opening, usually the first symbol listed in the catalogue. It's even happening with cc3+ symbol catalogues.
    It's a problem that's been around for a long time. In fact, it's been around so long that I never even mention it anymore. You really don't need to do anything about it unless, of course, you want the first symbol that shows the red X.

If you do need to resolve the problem, some folks here well might know a better solution than mine, but this one works:

1) Click the Open Symbols Catalog button above the list of currently available symbols.

2) Open the catalog (.fsc file) that currently is open on your screen.

3) In that catalog, click the VH version of the first symbol in the list. If there is no VH version (some third party collections), click the HI version of the first symbol in the list.

After that, everything should work again.
  • @Lorelei -thank you! And congratulations on your commission!!! And I wish you were joining us in the contest!!!

@Mark- I will try this, thank you for the help! As it happens, I DO need the first symbol in this particular catalogue. It's the reason I chose this catalogue!!! You're a peach, Mark, as always :-D
  • Posted By: LadieStormYou're a peach, Mark, as always :-D
    Gee golly whillikers! I hope no one takes a bite out of me!

Then again ... on second thought ... I suppose it depends upon who is biting.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: VintyriIt's a problem that's been around for a long time. In fact, it's been around so long that I never even mention it anymore.
    Interesting. I've never seen that happen to me on any of my CC3(+) installations (And I have got quite a few). I'll keep your workaround in mind if I ever encounter it myself, or someone else with the problem.

What happen if you do place the red X symbol in the map? The symbol catalog view is different from the map view, so I am wondering if it shows up correctly in the map even if it is wrong in the symbol catalog.
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: MonsenI've never seen that happen to me on any of my CC3(+) installations (And I have got quite a few).
    I have only two installations, but it happens regularly with CC3+, not with CC3. It happens with both ProFantasy catalogs and with 3rd party catalogs. It doesn't happen all of the time, but maybe one time out of 25.
    What happen if you do place the red X symbol in the map? The symbol catalog view is different from the map view, so I am wondering if it shows up correctly in the map even if it is wrong in the symbol catalog.
    I get a red X. It appears that CC3+ occasionally has trouble finding the first symbol in the catalog.
  • Me too, but it only started a few weeks ago for me.
    edited September 2016
    Are we all using Win 10?

Juuuust a thought here, since it only started happening recently to all but Mark.

My machine received a 4.5GB 'automatic update' just recently (which wasn't very friendly of them since I have a monthly allowance of just 10 GB and had no idea what had happened to half my monthly allowance till my machine took nearly an hour to install the following day)

The red X thing started happening a couple of days before that, but given the size of the update I'm wondering if there were a couple of preparatory mini updates, one of which might have upset the way files are indexed.

After what I will call 'the big one', it was taking me several minutes to open folders with lots of files in them, as if the index had been destroyed and was in the process of being re-written. I was on the point of raising the issue directly with MS, when I noticed that once the folder had been opened the first time things returned to normal, and I haven't had a red X since then.

Maybe there are two things going on here - Mark's red X problem and a different one that has affected a couple of us only recently.
  • Updates in Win10 cannot be blocked or checked on, its all automatic. Which is fine if the update doesn't get recalled by MS. But they have pulled updates in the past. And for almost every MS Windows I have had in the past, it has tried to install, albeit not since Win7, updates for hardware the computer I was using didn't have on it.

I haven't seen this red X problem in CC3+, but I'm using Win8.1.
    Ah - then its not the Win 10 update ;)
    You can block Win 10 updates (I found out how by talking directly with MS on a chat line), but it means stopping the automatic update altogether. I've had to do this because I need to be able to control the byte flow on my broadband, but I'm going to have to switch it on again at the end of the current broadband month, just to make sure I don't end up with any problems caused by having an out of date version.
  • Ah, I was told it couldn't be stopped or blocked. I prefer to have control over my computer. So when this Win8.1 laptop fails, I'll boot up my Win10 desktop... maybe I need to do that before my laptop fails.
    You know what the really ironic thing is?

Even though I don't officially have the newest version of Win 10 - the one that drove Lorelei nuts the other day - I've got the Cortana problem myself now. She's part of that massive update that wrote off half my broadband this month! LOL

I hope I get the same guy I spoke to about the automatic downloads when I contact MS again about that a-Grrrr-ivating female jack-in-the-box pop-up.
  • Okay, I'm beginning to think my symbol catalogues have a mind of their own!!!

I am now attempting to access the dd3 vegetation catalogue, to keep up with my cartoon look for the Themiscyra map. I've got the standard symbols, and the varicolor symbols in my window. So can someone explain why I am clicking on the standard tree symbol (non varicolor) from the dd3 catalogue, but the tree on my cursor is the tree from the cd3 bitmap B default catalogue? If I click on the varicolor tree, I get the varicolor tree.

I'm confused...
    Is it the same if you shut down and restart?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Have you renamed any of the symbols in your map? Problems like this usually happens because of duplicate naming (CC3 uses the symbol name as a unique reference, so you cannot add two different symbols with the same name to a map). However, the trees from the CD3 Bitmap B catalog are all prefixed with CD3B, while the dungeon ones are not, so there shouldn't be a collision there.
    In any case, check your symbol manager and look for a symbol matching the name of the symbol from the DD3 catalog, then rename it.
  • I don't ever rename symbols. I create and rename sheets, but never symbols. I will check the names...
  • Oh, that is just wonderful, you have answered my question just before I asked it :)

I had the same kind of issue today, and I did not understand what happened. It was a collision between bushes from DD3 and from SS4. LadieStorm, maybe this tree from CD3 is also provided in another annual or in a symbol collection, with a colliding name?
  • Unless its placed in the map, it wont collide.
  • I don't have any of the annuals yet... I'm running just the basic 3... And I'm not using CSUAC, any of the Dundjinni or Vintyri stuff, because I WANT the cartoon look for this map...

I haven't had a chance to check back and see if my two trees are named the same...if they are, I will stick the dd3 in front and see if that works.
  • edited September 2016
    If both trees have the same name, what you will need to do is change the name of the first one using the symbol manager.
    -Open the symbol manager
    -select the symbol by clicking on it.
    -Click the Rename button
    -Type in the new name.

This will only change the name of the symbol in this map. Your second symbol should now show up when you place it.
  • edited September 2016
    So for example, if it's the dd3 trees that change to the cd3 trees, then I need to pull up the cd3 trees and rename them? I think I can do that...

However, once again I know what most of the buttons do....but don't know what they are called! I even have the manual open, and the symbol manager button isn't listed on the view screen... so uhm which one is the symbol manager?
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormSthe symbol manager button isn't listed on the view screen... so uhm which one is the symbol manager?
    Main menu, option Symbols

Dropdown menu, first option, Symbol Manager.

Once you're there, look for the symbol that has the same name as the one you're trying unsuccessfully to use. Click that symbol in the list and then the Rename button and put in a new unique name. After that, you can insert the symbol that you want.

Note: This also will occur often when you use the CSUAC 2 or the Dundjinni Archives. Both have quite a number of duplicated names. But the symbol manager renaming solution resolves such problems easily and quickly.
  • Oh man....can I officially call myself an idiot yet? I didn't think to check the main menu!!! How daft can I get?

Thanks, Mark!
    Did anyone fix the red X problem?

I'm having it now all the time :(
  • Uhm...I think Mark mentioned how it could be fixed in another thread, but I don't remember which one...let me find it and get back to you.
    Thanks Storm. No hurry though. I'm dog tired and ready for bed, so this could easily wait for tomorrow now :)