Tome of Ultimate Mapping for CC3+?

I have a question for the programmers (I know some of them are map-makers too; and frequent the forum). Is the Tome of Ultimate Mapping being converted to CC3+? I only ask because I will only have enough money to buy one piece of software next month, and I have to make the right choice in doing it. Between the Tome and Fractal Terrains 3, I would choose the Tome; but only if it works with CC3+ (I've basically committed to using that software, because everything done from now on will be for CC3+!)

Am I wrong in my assumptions? Which software would you pick?

Many thanks, in advance!

LLAP

Nacon4

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Morning Ed... :yawn: Sorry - its only 6.30 am here in the UK.

Monsen gives a hint about the fact that the Tome is due for an update in his last comment on this thread:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6400
  • Posted By: LoopysueMorning Ed... :yawn: Sorry - its only 6.30 am here in the UK.

Monsen gives a hint about the fact that the Tome is due for an update in his last comment on this thread:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6400
    No problem, Sue! :) It's about 2:20 in the morning here in the States!

Yeah, I knew they were workin' on it. My question was to find out if they know when! :)

LLAP

Nacon4
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I wish I could tell you. I am working on this thing almost every day, but I keep finding more things that needs to be written, more things that needs to be updateded, tutorials that really should be rewritten to make them better and so on. I think the CC3+ version of the Tome is going to better than the CC3 one, but I've given up on giving estimates for time, I always mess that up anyway.
  • Nacon4, may I offer some insights?

It's true that right now the Tome is for cc3, not cc3+. I have the Tome, and I don't have cc3 loaded on my computer, only cc3+. The only thing that is missing for me, is the interactive aspect of the tome. The tome, itself, is a PDF file that can be read...and the INFORMATION it contains is still viable - meaning that the instructions for doing different things works in both cc3 and cc3+.

If you had it, believe me, you would understand why it's going to take a while for poor Remy to update it! It contains information and advanced tips and tricks for EVERY product Profantasy puts out! That's a lot!

But here are a couple things you should consider. Even though it's not compatible, it's still.very usable and useful. And Ralf or Remy will correct me if I'm wrong...but once you own the Tome, you own it. When the update is available, you won't have to repurchase it...the updated version will be added to your downloads, just like the updates from the other programs you have.

I will say this with absolute certainty... Even with the 'outdated' version, my maps greatly improved after I bought it and started using it, and I am STILL learning from it!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited September 2016
    But there are a few not too strenuous things that could be done that would help people quite a bit, particularly those who wold like to try to convert the old annual for CC3+. A short PDF a few pages long explaining the key things they need to understand about the operating differences between CC3 and CC3+ would be invaluable for many, many users. So invaluable that it would be worth an extra month's delay in the CC3+ edition of the Tome.

I'm thinking in particular of when one needs to use FFIX and how, or when and where one needs to manually swap the @ character to replace the # character or that one has to do these swaps manually in updating templates with macros.

I'm not asking this for myself. I know how to do it ... at least where I need to do it. But I don't think many other people do have this information, it really is _currently_ essential for advanced users.
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormNacon4, may I offer some insights?

It's true that right now the Tome is for cc3, not cc3+. I have the Tome, and I don't have cc3 loaded on my computer, only cc3+. The only thing that is missing for me, is the interactive aspect of the tome. The tome, itself, is a PDF file that can be read...and the INFORMATION it contains is still viable - meaning that the instructions for doing different things works in both cc3 and cc3+.

If you had it, believe me, you would understand why it's going to take a while for poor Remy to update it! It contains information and advanced tips and tricks for EVERY product Profantasy puts out! That's a lot!

But here are a couple things you should consider. Even though it's not compatible, it's still.very usable and useful. And Ralf or Remy will correct me if I'm wrong...but once you own the Tome, you own it. When the update is available, you won't have to repurchase it...the updated version will be added to your downloads, just like the updates from the other programs you have.

I will say this with absolute certainty... Even with the 'outdated' version, my maps greatly improved after I bought it and started using it, and I am STILL learning from it!
    Ok, Ladiestorm. I agree with your points (as long as the Tome is an upgradable product that I will have access to) then I will get the Tome next month!

LLAP

Nacon4

Edit: I want to thank all of the parties who responded to my query! I have been in some boards where my question(s) would not have been answered too quickly (if at all). This board really is a family isn't it? :)
  • Well, we are sginificantly more helpful than many forums I've been on.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I love this place - and the people who hang out here ;)
  • 6 months later
  • I currently own the TUM v3. I see an offer in the 'Registration: Upgrades & Offers' for the TUM v3+. I checked the Profantasy website TUM products page and it seems to indicate that v3+ is now available - exciting!

As an owner of v3 (only, without the 'plus') will I get a free/special upgrade to the v3+ version?

Thanks,
    Z
  • @monsen or @ralf

can we get some clarification on this? is the new TUM out?

Thanks.
    It's in the pipeline. I've handed the book to ProFantasy, and the installer has been beta-tested, so I am guessing Ralf is doing the final preparations for the release. As for pricing/upgrade eligibility, I don't know anything about ProFantasy's plans in that regard.
  • I also would be very interested in knowing the official scoop on this.
  • caveCrawlercaveCrawler Traveler
    edited April 2017
    I hope there is like a 6 month grace window if your purchased the old TUM. I just bought mine 4 months ago :(
    Posted By: dudeslifeI hope there is like a 6 month grace window if your purchased the old TUM. I just bought mine 4 months ago :(
    Again, I cannot comment on any specifics here (simply because I don't know), but the general upgrade guarantee from ProFantasy is that if it is within 3 months it is free, if it is less than a year, it is 60% off: https://secure.profantasy.com/shop/guarantee.asp
  • Interesting policy. So, if you are an early supporter of a PF product it may cost you more in the long run, since the development/upgrade times seem to take longer than 3 months, or sometimes a year....

Hopefully we will know more soon.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    The pages for the Tome have been updated as well https://secure.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp; including the PDF example :D
    Eagerly waiting for its release!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The announcement for the new Tome is in the pipeline - just ironing out a couple issues with the website. Anyone who purchased Tome v3 will be able to get it for free and there will be an upgrade option for those with the old Tome (for CC2 Pro).
  • Yeah! I'm really looking forward to this - Thanks for all your hard work!
  • TopdeckerTopdecker Traveler
    edited April 2017
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Ralf</cite>The announcement for the new Tome is in the pipeline - just ironing out a couple issues with the website. Anyone who purchased Tome v3 will be able to get it for free and there will be an upgrade option for those with the old Tome (for CC2 Pro).</blockquote>

Currently seeing:

aVWSfkE.jpg

I bought the big package like 6 weeks ago and have the CC3 Tome.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2017
    mumble

Edit. I dozed off and typed randome letters. My apologies.
  • I am seeing the same as Topdecker - do I pay, or will afree update be given to those who already have Tomev3, as Ralf stated.
    We're sorry, but we weren't able to do the necessary website updates in time before the Easter weekend. The Tome v3+ announcement will go out next week. If you own the Tome v3, you do not need to buy it again.
  • Sigh of relief. Thanks Ralf, and have a good Easter break
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Major sigh of relief also. Have a great Easter Ralf.
  • 1 month later
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Hello,

I had received the offer to upgrade for free the tome form CC3 to CC3+. I did not make immediate use of this offer at this time, since I was too busy.
    I tried to do it today, but I got a message that my voucher was expired since may the 2nd.

Was this supposed to happen, was this upgrade limited in time (I did not see anything about it in the mail I recieved at that time)? Or is it possible to get a new voucher?

Thank you,
    @Gathar:
    You should contact ProFantasy support with such issues.
    Yes, please contact us, we can always extend the voucher.
  • 2 months later
  • I didn't waste hours looking for this answer but others might
    C:\ProgramData not a folder you can find?
    Read this Concise Explanation on how to find it & why it's hidden along with some easy to comprehend solutions
    NOT affiliated w/ the blog in anyway, just very grateful for Time Saved as I begin tutorials.
    http://www.funnyshapeddice.com/programdata-example-maps-missing/#comment-1332